See ya in April, Boss!

Free at last! Free at last!

Today, my Boss and his wife make their annual pilgrimage to Naples, FL for the winter...won't see them again until April or so. Its a fantastic work environment knowing that the Boss isn't going to be dropping by the office anytime for the next four months.

But seriously, I have a fantastic Boss. I've known him and his wife for almost 25 years. They were members of the Country Club where I worked before I came to work for him...that's how I got this job. Even when they are in town, they don't come by the office more than once per week and sometimes go weeks without stopping by. And when they do come by the office, they are never here for more than an hour or so...long enough to see what's going on and to pick up a check or two. And the conversations are very rarely about "work", usually about golf, firearms, sports betting, etc....

It really doesn't get any better than this! Truly blessed!

• Like 1

I'm very happy for you man, having a nice boss. I've worked for so many mentally deranged psychopaths in my working life until I didn't think it was possible to have a SANE supervisor! I'm finally in that position where I work now, as a retiree and with a part-time job. Everyone there is super nice. Be continually blessed, brother! peace.gif

• Like 2

i thought that meant you had tickets to springsteen in april!

but enjoy anyway!

You know, I didn't mean to word it that way but once I did, I realized the "Boss = Bruce" connection and new you would jump in. Sorry to disappoint you, Ken! Would have been a great show, nontheless...

I'm very happy for you man, having a nice boss. I've worked for so many mentally deranged psychopaths in my working life until I didn't think it was possible to have a SANE supervisor! I'm finally in that position where I work now, as a retiree and with a part-time job. Everyone there is super nice. Be continually blessed, brother! peace.gif

I've actually been very lucky in my "working" life. I've only had two jobs in my life but I've had two very good leaders to follow. My first boss was like a father-figure to me, taught me a lot about golf, business, and life in general. My second boss (my current one), is more of a long-time, older friend who has seen and done it all...lots of lessons learned and stories told by him...the kind of stuff you don't learn in college, if you know what I mean. If I ever have the chance to lead or teach younger folks, I hope I can live up to the standards of the two men who taught me just about everything I didn't learn in text books at school.

I went back to school at 25 and for the most part have had great managers. It tough for them as they the company's way policy is enforced. For this reason I have avoided offers for management. Being in a technical position and at the high end of the pay scale in IT means the money is not an enticement. I usually allow myself only once a year to vent and otherwise try to get what's asked done. I've always found this helps your manager to deal with people who need supervision on a daily basis. It helps that my direct team think the same way. If your boss is not a complete ******* and treats you well it is likely a result of being a good worker unless the environment is poisoned. Sorry for the preaching .