Homebrew

SmittyinAZ

Currently I have a Bourbon Barrel Porter fermenting nicely. My two Hearted clone on tap is almost gone and I'm about halfway done with my black IPA keg.

Anyone else brewing up some good stuff on here?

I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer my own.

It's been a while though I'm starting to get the itch. Probably a Russian Imperial Stout for my next undertaking.

St. Patrick's Day is on the horizon so may need to do a dry stout and red ale in the coming weeks.

Evening gentlemen. I was interested in getting a homebrew kit but I was wondering if there was one in particular that someone can recommend?

I enjoy most style of beers but tend to lean toward amber and I.P.A style beers.

Balboa

I'll shoot you some links that should help you get going. Lots of good info and places to get the goods for an easy start, just take this to heart - cleanliness is next to godliness, especially when brewing beer!

• Like 1

Agree with HabanaMike.

Also, equipment will depend on if you extract brew or all grain brew. All grain brewing will require a little more investment in equipment.

Drank a few Rye Ales I Bottled 4 months ago. Wow, so clean and crisp. Time does bottling good!

Smitty

• 1 month later...

So my OP talked about BBP fermenting. Well it's now bottled and freakin delish! Will get much better with some ageing.

Home brewing so worth it for the price you pay for good craft brews. A few bottles made and the kit is paid for. So easy too. I recommend anyone slightly interested to go for it. This BBP I just made is going to pair extremely well some cigars in the spring.

Currently I have a Centennial/Chinook hopped 7.1% IPA aged on Spanish cedar on tap. On the other tap I have a Stone IPA inspired brew sitting around 7%abv and 116 IBU. In my fermenter I've got a 5 gal batch of Honey wheat hopped with Citra 5.5%ABV and 36IBU. I used Wyeast 1217 for both the Wheat and Stone IPA inspired brews. Used Heady Topper yeast for my Spanish ceadar aged IPA. I'll be brewing an Imperial nut brown ale this Wednesday.

Oh I also have 5 gallons of Belgian Quad 10.67%ABV (ABT 12) inspired aging. I brewed it on Jan 6th and plan on tapping it the first week of November to kick off the holiday season.

• Like 1

Backslide you have some serious beers on hand and a brewin. Love it. Even has the IBU's. I never paid attention to the IBU calc but I think I'm going to start with my next batch. I have a Racer 5 clone fermenting out of control as we speak. Next up is an Imperial Rye. Can't wait.

I'm big into homebrewing. Finished around 200 gallons last year. Esb, oatmeal raisin cookie esb, oatmeal stout, grapefruit Saison, Meyer lemon kumquat Saison, single hop Citra amber ale, coffee, Cacao nibs, vanilla Imperial stout that's barrel aged, ris, dunkel weizen, and tons and tons of Sours... Gueuze and lambic, apricot sour, plum sour, gose and berliner are slated for this year. Currently using 1 15 gallon Rye Whiskey barrel for a 2 year lambic, and another for a ris. Yea, I have a problem.

All grain setup for the record.

Also, for anyone into homebrewing, I cannot recommend beersmith2 enough. It will calculate EVERYTHING, mash temp, step mashes, carbonation, dilution, it goes on and on. 8 bucks for the app, 20 for the computer version (you can sync them). I own both and didn't think twice about buying the desktop version once I had the app

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also All Grain (BIAB) setup. I use a free app for Android called Wort, it does everything I need outside of brewing the beer for me.

I just picked up a new burner! Can't wait to use it.

IMG_20150219_153425.jpg

That looks nice man.

I need another hobby like I need another hold in my wallet, but this certainly does sound like a good way to spend some time if only I enjoyed beer a little more. Good sounding beers you gents seem to be turning out though!

My setup has changed numerous times over the last few years. At one time, I had a single tier 3 vessel system, with 2 pumps, and 3 keggles. I recently sold my last of the keggles, and downsized to these 10G pots. I'll probably pick up a 15G someday too, for the occasional large batch. I used to batch sparge, now I just recirculate with the full volume of water. With the success of all the BIAB'rs, I trimmed my setup.

I just started brewing last May and just well I'm basically obsessed with it. Beers have been pretty good too, got a lot of good positive feedback from my store guys and other veteran Brewers. I just use a basic all grain set up at this point, 10 and 5 gal pot, 10 gal round cooler with custom made false bottom and a bayou burner, oh I ordered a custom immersion chiller using 50' 1/2" coil that works awesome in chilling 6 gal or wort. It's dangerous having this much beer on hand. Lol

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've home brewed about 5 batches so far. Dove in headfirst and went with all grain . Wife got me a real nice set last Christmas and have been having fun with it. Last batch was a very "tropical" ipa with citra, Galaxy and Amarillo hops mostly late addition and whirlpool along with tons of dry hopping and it came out awesome OG oG was abou 1.064 and fished at 1.010 perfect summer beer we kegged it and it was great. That was based on a modified recipe. Before that I did a heady topper clone

Have been busy over the summer with the kids and gardening but once schools back in and some times frees up its time for a good imperial stout

• 4 weeks later...

Been homebrewing a few years now. Was working with some "partners" to open up a 15bbl brewery but that fell through due to some backstabbing and other garbage. My main focuses are water chemistry and yeast but I do a lot of recipe formulation as well. I am a hop junkie and love to brew IPA and IIPA. This weekend I will be brewing a simple saison that I am going to hop with only Mosaic. Should be an easy drinking/refreshing beer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...