Smoke and Ozone

I have a converted a wine-fridge and a mini-fridge into humidors. Neither are plugged in as the home is climate controlled. The wine-fridge acts like a normal humidor and breathes a bit but the mini-fridge seems to be almost air tight and holds moisture better.

My question is what will effect my cigars as they sit in my man-cave.

Will my smoking in the same room have a big effect on the cigars?

Will my ozone generator do any damage to my cigars?

Will burning any (manly) candles permeate into the cigars?

My guess is the answer to all these questions is YES, but how much damage is expected? Typically I would smoke about 1-3 times per week following each smoke with a night/morning of constant ozone.

I can move the cigars to a unfinished basement if needed, but they look nice in the man-cave. What are your thoughts?

I naively thought this would be about the environmental effects of smoking!

Honestly I think at the rate of 1-3 a week you won't see any negative effects. But if you'll sleep better, ship 'em down to the basement.

More than anything, enjoy the man cave!

I have an ozone generator myself and based on my self taught knowledge your cigars should be fine in the wine fridge & mini fridge. Ozone is an oxidizer & speed up the normal process of "airing" out bad smells, but can also increase the speed of deterioration in plastics & rubber. So if you use it a lot I would but some silicone spray on the seals around the fridges. Also, if your ozone generator is an adjustable kind like mine, make sure you give the man cave time to air out before you go in, ozone in high concentrations is hard on the respiratory system, I've seen it give people ... my brother ... bloody noses & asthma attacks.

Smoking in the area of your cigar storage will have immediate and highly detrimental effects on your stored cigars. You will see your stock gradually reduced before your very eyes. This has been proven time and again. :P

Most 'strategies' of cigar aging rely on very low to no air exchange with the outside world. The vacuum pack crowd is particularly serious about eliminating air exchange. Even if you're one of those guys who like lots of air circulation and store sticks bare, they're still stored in humi's with very, very little air exchange. So unless you were doing something particularly enduring and stinky (fish processing, garlic chopping 24/7) it doesn't seem like you're at any risk at all . . . except for the temptation to smoke that which you intend to age . . . and who could blame a guy with the sticks sitting right there in front of you! cigar.gif

Anybody on here with a walk-in humi with some bare stick storage AND a history of smoking therein? This would be a useful experience to hear from.

Important to remember, here, is that Ozone is an air pollutant when it exists in sufficient quantities. If your gizmo is truly producing O3 and releasing it into your room, read the following:

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html