Experience With Cigar Lockers?

A couple of the members at my club are angling to get cigar lockers installed in the club. Anybody here have experience with locker storage? The units actually seem like a pretty good deal and I'm considering using them for my future cellar renovation (since I don't need glass front displays for my long term storage).

Any recommendations on makers, brands? You guys all know the look I'm talking about, but here's an example below:

post-18301-0-99057200-1412358611_thumb.j

No experience my friend, but it seems like undue complexity for use outside of its intended purpose. I would rather have cigars in well circulated, and controlled opens space, on shelves than hidden behind little doors that will require stacking and unstacking to find cigars. Another problem here is that you create a lot of wasted open space due to the inherent nature of fixed divided space and the fact that cigar boxes are not uniform.

Just my 2cts. -Ray

My old B&M in LA area had lockers that were in a private room that backed up to the humidor and had vents so it was essentially part of the humidor.

For the most part, was awesome. I had from several to 10 boxes int he locker and could smoke and gift/trade what I wanted.

Had that set up for 3+ years although I did have a cross locker beatle outbreak that got into my sticks and lost two lockers, but that was partially my fault for not paying enough attention over several months.

Share a locker at LCDH on island and have had worry free fun

Used to have a locker at a local B&M. Kept telling them they had the humidity too high sticks weren't smoking well. Its 70% they would say which is too high for my tastes. Lo and behold got into my boxes in the back and they were covered in mold, Paper bubbling on dress boxes. Showed one of the guys working that night and he said oohh nice plume. That was the end of that for me. I took a slb home and slipped in a calibrated hygro. Read 78% after setting on my counter all night. Come to find out the humidifier fed the top down in their setup and my boxes were up top. Guess where the genius had his hygro. Ding Ding in the bottom box. Take home lesson these big lockers are pretty, and convenient to store smokes at shop, but they suck for air circulation. Also unless they are in your home you have to trust that they are feeding the correct rh.

I agree too many issues with lockers.

Had one at a cigar bar where the humidity always ran high. I took to bagging/beading whatever I had in there.

Had one at a local cigar shop a few years ago. They were inside the humidor and never had RH problems though I discovered one of the clerks was pilfering and selling from my stock tantrum.gif

Local client lockers here are in the walk in humidor area.

The biggest threat is clients bringing in external cigars and a beetle outbreak. The rule is only cigars purchased on premise can be placed in the lockers. Lockers are by invitation only (those that we can trust to follow the rule).

We run the walk in at 18 degrees Celsius and 65 RH. Overall it works well.

• Like 1

These things are built with a ventilation space up the back of the unit, and the lockers have holes allowing air flow through them. We'd likely have 3 or 4 of the units, and so could actually have one set at 65rh and one at 70rH, although bad instrumentation would screw anything up. I'm not sure how bad the rH gradient would be on something 8 feet tall, like Newkarian's experience, it sounds like it could be pretty dramatic.

Not sure what can be done about beetle exposure.

they are okay if you buy too much in november and then you return to havana in say january and pick them up .

any longer and i wouldnt do it .'

its just i dont like the idea of my cigars and not my humidity & temp ... for this reason i would never consider czars online humidor for more than a month or two either .

nobody can store/age cigars the way derrek likes them better than derrek .

derrek

Local client lockers here are in the walk in humidor area.

The biggest threat is clients bringing in external cigars and a beetle outbreak. The rule is only cigars purchased on premise can be placed in the lockers. Lockers are by invitation only (those that we can trust to follow the rule).

We run the walk in at 18 degrees Celsius and 65 RH. Overall it works well.

Most places wont or shouldn't let you bring in outside cigars for this reason. If you are looking for bulk offsite storage go with a wine locker and just store your sticks in large airtight tubs with beads.

This works great for me as I store about 100 boxes, a few cases of wine and bottles of scotch. It runs me about $300+ a half year.

Since your in Cali shoot me an PM and we can swing by my locker and I can show you my set up and grab some sticks to Herf.

Most places wont or shouldn't let you bring in outside cigars for this reason. If you are looking for bulk offsite storage go with a wine locker and just store your sticks in large airtight tubs with beads.

This works great for me as I store about 100 boxes, a few cases of wine and bottles of scotch. It runs me about $300+ a half year.

Since your in Cali shoot me an PM and we can swing by my locker and I can show you my set up and grab some sticks to Herf.

I'm shooting a pm about your storage!