BMW, Mercedes Lease timing

Gentlemen,

Once upon a time I worked for Ford Motor Company and I noticed a pattern for certain vehicles on the best time of year to lease them. For example the Ranger pickup was normally Feb-March time frame where they would ramp up the buyout to really slam the rock bottom of the lease. Then they would also run their annual Tent sale that they would run some great lease deals on a couple models. Often there would also be year end closeouts but selected is often limited and often does not apply to the model someone is wanting.

My question is now that I'm a bachelor again I was considering leasing a new BMW 325i Xdrive, X1 Xdrive or Mercedes Benz CLA 250, or C Class with 4matic. Anyone out there have a clue as to any pattern when the manufacturers like to hold lease specials on any of these models?

Gentlemen,

Once upon a time I worked for Ford Motor Company and I noticed a pattern for certain vehicles on the best time of year to lease them. For example the Ranger pickup was normally Feb-March time frame where they would ramp up the buyout to really slam the rock bottom of the lease. Then they would also run their annual Tent sale that they would run some great lease deals on a couple models. Often there would also be year end closeouts but selected is often limited and often does not apply to the model someone is wanting.

My question is now that I'm a bachelor again I was considering leasing a new BMW 325i Xdrive, X1 Xdrive or Mercedes Benz CLA 250, or C Class with 4matic. Anyone out there have a clue as to any pattern when the manufacturers like to hold lease specials on any of these models?

Can't help you on the lease info, but I will recommend going with the BMW over the Mercedes. IMO the BMW is just such a better driving experience, they handle so beautifully, especially the 3 series. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

we got the new x3. v good.

BMW has STELLAR auto mechanical care. we get a free 5xxx series when the X3 is in the shoppe for more than a day.

however, if you're looking for the best price, ask to lease the floor model. normally 20-30% cheaper. then argue like you don't want upgrades (minor ones, sunroof add ons are out of the question, of course) but secretly wanting them. gotta have that salesman-esque tone. so they don't completely force you into a terrible deal compared to what you could've had! ^_^

we got the new x3. v good.

BMW has STELLAR auto mechanical care. we get a free 5xxx series when the X3 is in the shoppe for more than a day.

Agreed! My wife bought the 2015 X3 back in April...first one off the truck at the local dealership. She was having a trailer hitch for our bike rack put on it and it was going to take a day or two for them to do it, they gave her a brand new 328i x-Drive while they had her vehicle. BTW, the X3 smokes the Audi Q5 in every way possible.

• Like 2

Personally I would go Audi over both. Have had a few of each over the years and the last 4 leases I had were Audi's and would never go back to the other two. Have the S6 and drive the S8 quite often and they are amazing cars. Take a look at the A4, best time to lease an Audi seems to be in October or keep an eye for the release of the 2015's you can get great leases when the come out.

When it comes to SUV's I would have a hard time taking a Q7 over an X5 though.

Personally I would go Audi over both. Have had a few of each over the years and the last 4 leases I had were Audi's and would never go back to the other two. Have the S6 and drive the S8 quite often and they are amazing cars. Take a look at the A4, best time to lease an Audi seems to be in October or keep an eye for the release of the 2015's you can get great leases when the come out.

When it comes to SUV's I would have a hard time taking a Q7 over an X5 though.

My wife had an A4, too. At about 60,000 miles, it started burning a quart of oil with every tank of gas. Audi has issues with the 2.0 engine. Other than that, it was a fantastic automobile.

I've got a 2011 Audi S4 and I love it. Way more car for the money (with damn near all the options) than any comparable BMW or Mercedes. But any German car is better than something that's not German. (Full disclosure: I'm unabashedly biased.) I got the exact S4 I wanted... had to wait just over 6 months for the Germans to build it for me. It's got 111k miles on it now and it's run like a top the whole time. The local Audi dealership is the epitome of Awesomeness. The S4 was in the shop over the weekend once last November and they gave me a brand new 2013 Q5 as a loaner. When I told them I wanted to use it for our goose hunt the next day the service manager said "Have fun!" I have to admit... it was pretty frickin' sweet taking a brand new Q5 out along the field roads and corn fields, getting all sorts of muddy and nasty. I was a little concerned in advance since I wasn't sure how well it would do out in the field ( I mean, c'mon, how many of these German SUVs actually go off road?) but it was a champ. A little cramped inside with all the decoys and gear, but it worked wonderfully. When I brought it back in on Monday, still mostly plastered with thick North Dakota clay mud, the service manager had a beaming smile and wanted to know how it worked. I told him I still preferred the S4 in general (it's fun to go fast!), but the Q5 made a great little hunting ride.

I'm not sure how that applies to the OP's question... but Audis are awesome. :)

Cheers,

Greg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've been watching the Audi Q4 and the comparable Lexus model as well. Even contemplating a Land Rover Envoque. Not that impressed with the Jaguar models. I plan on keeping my present Ford Explorer for real crappy days. What turned me onto the idea anyway was a friend retired from the police dept and moved to Georgia and came back for a visit driving a new BMW X1. told me it was only $15 to lease that over his previous lease which was a KIA Sorento. Looking at Fords and Chryslers and by the time you get all the options you want your up just a smudge under The entry luxury models.

My first taste of luxury was a few years back when I bought a then one year old Lincoln LS V8 that was built on the Jaguar X Type chassis that they later used I the 500, Thunderbird and Mustang. Selling Fords and Lincoln's I could easily tell the difference in the materials, paint finish, attention to detail and the warranty. Seems like a no brained for a few dollars more. That is also what I find appealing is the service. Lexus is out of the question for me as the closest dealer for authorized warranty repair is 3hrs away in Minneapolis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like you, I find myself in the market to buy a car. And, like you I am very familiar with the Ford sales events. Ford (and other American car makers) are aggressive with rebates, discounts and low finance rates to move cars.

German car folks seem less likely to do that. Yes… sometimes good finance rates and lease deals, but I have not seen a big cash back + low finance/lease.

My finalists are all over the place. From an F150/Audi A4/2015 GTI/Infinity Q50. Four completely different rides…

German car folks seem less likely to do that. Yes… sometimes good finance rates and lease deals, but I have not seen a big cash back + low finance/lease.

German manufacturers don't need to offer those crazy deals to move their inventory. :) :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My finalists are all over the place. From an F150/Audi A4/2015 GTI/Infinity Q50. Four completely different rides…

Mine too. I just saw this yesterday. Everyone I know has been talking big about the Dodge Challenger Hellcat edition that cranks out a whopping 707hp and does the 1/4 mile in under 10 sec. Then Shelby just unveils this in a lighter package at 850hp for how much?! http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/850-hp-shelby-gt500-super-snake-goes-sale Granted this was on the 2014 model and I'm just wondering what Ford is going to release on the 2015 which they predict should be more hp than the Hellcat. Midlife crisis may be screaming in my ear but I'm just thinking of the local police calibrating their radar guns and every Ricky Whitetrash around me is going to be wanting to run. Oh wait...keep on track with luxury cars.

I worked in the auto industry for 15 years and about 5 years in incentives for a US & German mfr. There are a number of factors that determine lease pricing. Typically vehicles earlier in their life cycle carry higher residuals. Also, high volume vehicles and high stock levels influence mfr reductions in money factors. It is really hit or miss and timing is everything. A high lease price today can change next month if the mfr gets more aggressive. Your best bet is always to find an aggressive high volume dealer that is well versed in leasing and go in the last week of the month. That is the only control you have over it. If you are not in a hurry to purchase the next is to find a very good salesman or woman that will inform you when the mfr increases their lease incentives & wait it out.

I've noticed that with high and lower volume dealers. Local dealer here likes to try and get people to lease at full retail like it's some kind of rule that you can't negotiate purchase price first. Retired friend tried up here before he left and they would not budge. Moves to Georgia and a couple weeks there and goes to a high volume dealer and they gladly negotiate the price and the residual is the same. Dealers want to push payment and I can't blame them because that's where I tried to direct people to on the four square negotiation sheet because that's how I made more money and closed sales easier. The. You have to watch the Finance guy to see what factor he is using and multiply it by 2400 to convert the lease factor to a dollar interest rate to make sure they are not making up the difference there. I've been considering picking up a lease software kit for $20 to see which models are running the better residuals and the better lease deals. http://www.leaseguide.com/leasekit/

I used to be a car salesman and train new sales people on all the little tricks to manipulate the purchase. Though I have been out of the business for 10yrs I know better than to try to just walk in and expect to be treated fairly without doing my homework first.

I've been watching the Audi Q4 and the comparable Lexus model as well. Even contemplating a Land Rover Envoque. Not that impressed with the Jaguar models. I plan on keeping my present Ford Explorer for real crappy days. What turned me onto the idea anyway was a friend retired from the police dept and moved to Georgia and came back for a visit driving a new BMW X1. told me it was only $15 to lease that over his previous lease which was a KIA Sorento. Looking at Fords and Chryslers and by the time you get all the options you want your up just a smudge under The entry luxury models.

My first taste of luxury was a few years back when I bought a then one year old Lincoln LS V8 that was built on the Jaguar X Type chassis that they later used I the 500, Thunderbird and Mustang. Selling Fords and Lincoln's I could easily tell the difference in the materials, paint finish, attention to detail and the warranty. Seems like a no brained for a few dollars more. That is also what I find appealing is the service. Lexus is out of the question for me as the closest dealer for authorized warranty repair is 3hrs away in Minneapolis.

My issue with the X1 is, it's just too small. If you can live with that, then, I think you will love it.

I'm nearly 6'6 and found that some of the smaller cars actually are more comfortable to drive for a guy my size. Ex had a Ford Focus and I had no problem fitting in the back seat. I remember my Lincoln LS and that was impossible for me in the back seat not to mention the number of slacks I ripped catching a pocket seam on the door latch. I have not driven any of them yet however, so my mood could change. Leg room is very important to me.

Midlife crisis may be screaming in my ear but I'm just thinking of the local police calibrating their radar guns and every Ricky Whitetrash around me is going to be wanting to run. Oh wait...keep on track with luxury cars.

I'm leaning towards the GTI with an APR tune. But, the longer I wait who knows! Its nice to be shopping for a car and not in a hurry.

• Like 1

I'm waiting on the 2015 f350s to come out. That's my next truck. Is leasing better than buying? It seems you pay more for the lease than you would if you just financed it and sold it out right if you wanted a new truck/car a couple years later.

I'm waiting on the 2015 f350s to come out. That's my next truck. Is leasing better than buying? It seems you pay more for the lease than you would if you just financed it and sold it out right if you wanted a new truck/car a couple years later.

A big factor to consider is how many miles you drive a year...

My wife had an A4, too. At about 60,000 miles, it started burning a quart of oil with every tank of gas. Audi has issues with the 2.0 engine. Other than that, it was a fantastic automobile.

That is why you lease it for two or three years and give it back to them a get a new one! lol

• Like 1

I'm leaning towards the GTI with an APR tune. But, the longer I wait who knows! Its nice to be shopping for a car and not in a hurry.

Aw, yeah. I'm want to get the full Stage 3+ treatment for the S4. When I wrote to APR around this time last year they said they were planning for the super charger upgrade, but no ETA yet. So right now the best I could do is Stage 2+. I want Stage 3+, dammit!

APR is good stuff!

• Like 1

A big factor to consider is how many miles you drive a year...

Yup. We have had just a ton of Hail this year. Insurance carries have had their mobile claims around town since late May and lots of dent repair activity. Close friend of mine had his new 3 week old Chevy 1/2 ton pickup hit hard. They have to cut the skin off the roof and replace it and slap a big damage disclosure on it. Luckily he leased this time because he doesn't travel as much but he could have easily been stuck owning that vehicle for several years simply because of the damage disclosure would tank the value. Now all he has to do is toss them the keys in a couple years for a new one.

My 2 cents... for whatever its worth...

I was a Mercedes convert, after getting a 2nd hand diesel (arly 70's) and not only driving the wheels off of it, but finding it the easiest car I'd ever owned to work on. I loved those cars... Heck, I even bought a Gaggenau Unimog for an off road vehicle (Oh, the memories of that truck!!)... until...

The early-Mid 90's. I don't know what happened, but their QC went down the tubes. I had to replace 3 waterpumps back to back, the impeller on the transmission galled at the bearing (huh??) and the rear end locked up. (And yes, I follow maintenance religiously).

I then (with trepidation) got a Beemer 5 series (525?)... night and day. That car ran, and ran, and ran... it was like my '71 diesel all over again, but with more speed and power.

As to leasing... I put WAY too many miles on a vehicle to lease anything, and with most stuff out of Stuttgart/Munich/Wolfsburg, what you lose is what you drove it. And then not that much.

OK, serious disclaimer time... I had to get a new car, as the old one burned in a parking lot. I decided on... a Subaru. BIG change for me, but the car handles like my 525, it is reliable like my 220D, it is thrifty like a vespa (OK, not THAT thrifty, but not bad) and they're surprisingly well built. Like I said, I don't lease... I like driving too much to pay the turn in penalty... for me it's like renting a house... but that darned AWD ricebuggy made me a changed woman.

The bottom line is this. Asking about BMW/Mercedes leases... you're comparing 2 totally different platforms. Sure, they're both German Engineering, but honestly, the cars are like dusk and dawn. You need to decide on what fits YOUR driving style, what feels best holding the wheel, and THEN decide on a car. Otherwise, its like comparing a Chevy to a Dodge to a Ford.

YMMV etc...

Sus

• Like 1