Frozen Monte 2s

A friend who just got married called and informed me that his new bride has two intact boxes of her father's '98 Monte 2's.. When the old man died in 2001, she put them in the freezer and they have been there ever since. I'm guessing they will be flat as a pancake.

Can they possibly be smokable?

Contact Cigar Journal and try to talk to Marc André. Maybe he can help you.

Seems we have come to an impasse over the frozen Monte's. Since I expressed an interest in them, the lady has done some 'research' and decided the boxes are worth at least 400 dollars each. I tried to explain that if they are ruined they are not worth anything, and that it would take 3 months minimum to acclimate before smoking one to find out. I got the feeling this is not what she wanted to hear, and she has declined (for now) to let me have a couple to try as she wants to keep the boxes full.

Just my opinion-

Once cigars are frozen, they're frozen whether they've been in there 10+ years or 3 days. The only question is whether they've been able to keep from getting "burnt" in the process. I'd say even if they're fine, they're nowhere near worth $400 because I don't see how they have possibly aged during the time they were in the freezer to command a premium.

Someone is going to get screwed if they buy it.

… free, worth a try! Otherwise a large gamble, a waste of money at more than a buck a stick and I don't think I would pay that! (MHO). Laugh at the girl for her greed, and don't be captivated by your own. Feel free to share my post with her and be on your marry way!

Want more objectivity? Ask the person if you can taste their ice cubes and enjoy a couple together. Dig one out of the bottom and suck on it a little. Ask the girl to do the same. Most people's freezers are not the cleanest things and most have odors that will be picked up by the ice in the freezer. If the ice has the slightest taint, think about the unlucky one that gets one from 10+ years ago in his drink!

Lastly, if you do get them, separate them out from known good stock! The last thing you need is your good cigars tasting like 20 yo. crab shells some old man kept in his freezer that he never made into seafood stock!

Buy some new boxes with known provenance and condition. Mooch a 98' from a friend and be better off! Cheers…

-Piggy

• Like 1

My wife and I attempted to eat the top level of our wedding cake on our 1 year anniversary. The cake was double bagged (ziplock freezer grade). The cake was stored undisturbed for one year in freezer and then defrosted on our 1 yr anniversary.

My wife and I took 1 bite and spit it out immediately. I can tell you one thing. Storing something airtight in a freezer does not lead to a suspension in time. The year old cake was likely the worst cake I've ever tasted!

Not only would I not pay $1 to have one of those montes, I don't think Id smoke one if the owner paid me $1.