Picking the right box code

Hi guys I'm interested in a box (15) of vintage Mag 46's. Got a few different box codes to choose from,

all 2005:

AVD MAY

EAM ABR

EAM MAY

FIM JUL

FIM JUN

FJN JUL

FJN JUN

FJN MAY

LWI JUN

LWI MAY

SVF ABR

SVF MAY

SXF ABR

SXF JUN

SXF MAY

TPX JUL

ZFI JUL

ZTV JUN

ZTV MAY

Any favourites or codes to stay away from? Also was 2005 a good year for the Mag 46?

any opinions greatly appreciated.

Get 2 boxes of recent production. Smoke through one of them, forget about the other one for 4-5 years. Both of them will be really really good experience but different ones.

Get 2 boxes of recent production. Smoke through one of them, forget about the other one for 4-5 years. Both of them will be really really good experience but different ones.

i'm half the way though a aged box from rob a year back. trying not to smoke them all, hoping to find something similar.

1- 24- 13 Upmann Mag 46 horizontal tasting

I have always wanted to try several cigars from the same year,but different months and from different tabacaleras.

Here is a horizontal tasting of Upmann Mag 46 from 2005,four different months,and four different codes.
Each one smokes very well,and shows well aged flavors, and each has the Upmann profile as I have found in the marca. No question they have room to improve with additional age,but they are delicious now.

Smooth,leathery with earthy tones,rich creamy texture and aromas, and a slight twangy taste I find very appealing. The finish is velvet and spice,and the experience is excellent.

The codes,with slight nuances, are as follows:

SVF Apr 05: Clean tobacco with hints of caramel,spice,and the most earth

AVO May 05: Deepest richness,chocolate with leather,heaviest texture

SXF Jun 05: Sweetest and youngest tasting,freshness but good intensity,lightest aromas

BPL July 05: Most leather,earthy and fragrant,light spice and some cedar notes.

Construction has been uniformly excellent,dark gray/black ash and perfect draw so far,wrappers run from khaki green to colorado and chocolate brown.
These are also good to the nub if you go easy,to get all the stick has to offer.

The differences in the crop are exciting,as well as the differences in wrappers,showing just what I hoped to find.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................

I published this tasting on 1-24-2013 after smoking three of each code.Since then I have added 5 additional codes:

FJN Jun 05

LWI Jun and Dec 05

TPX Jul and Dec 05.

These were all uniformly good,I do not recall any that were plugged or of poor construction.

My current impression of these is they are a very smooth and elegant smoke,subtle and compelling.

Since their arrival all cigars have been kept in cabs,I detect no hint of paper or cardboard in them .

The Mag 46 never impressed me as a strong stick,and these are certainly not strong,so they may not be your thing,but I find them excellent for the cost and have thoroughly enjoyed them.............

• Like 1

i'm half the way though a aged box from rob a year back. trying not to smoke them all, hoping to find something similar.

I'm halfway through my third box in the last year and half. Wanted to put at least one of them away. Failed. Amazingly good cigar.

The boxes I got had Spanish distribution stickers on them.Possible holdings from a business that went under?

Forgotten cases in a warehouse? Would love to know the story.........innocent.gif

I have always wanted to try several cigars from the same year,but different months and from different tabacaleras.

Here is a horizontal tasting of Upmann Mag 46 from 2005,four different months,and four different codes.

Each one smokes very well,and shows well aged flavors, and each has the Upmann profile as I have found in the marca. No question they have room to improve with additional age,but they are delicious now.

Smooth,leathery with earthy tones,rich creamy texture and aromas, and a slight twangy taste I find very appealing. The finish is velvet and spice,and the experience is excellent.

SXF Jun 05: Sweetest and youngest tasting,freshness but good intensity,lightest aromas

Construction has been uniformly excellent,dark gray/black ash and perfect draw so far,wrappers run from khaki green to colorado and chocolate brown.

These are also good to the nub if you go easy,to get all the stick has to offer.

The differences in the crop are exciting,as well as the differences in wrappers,showing just what I hoped to find.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................

I published this tasting on 1-24-2013 after smoking three of each code.Since then I have added 5 additional codes:

FJN Jun 05

LWI Jun and Dec 05

TPX Jul and Dec 05.

These were all uniformly good,I do not recall any that were plugged or of poor construction.

My current impression of these is they are a very smooth and elegant smoke,subtle and compelling.

Since their arrival all cigars have been kept in cabs,I detect no hint of paper or cardboard in them .

The Mag 46 never impressed me as a strong stick,and these are certainly not strong,so they may not be your thing,but I find them excellent for the cost and have thoroughly enjoyed them.............

Nice thoughtful post Tom

Thanks for the review that helped a lot!

FJN Jun 05

LWI Jun and Dec 05

TPX Jul and Dec 05.

The strange thing is there selling for cheaper than the current production.

Are these 05 boxes selling at a premium (for having been aged) or at current production price?

The strange thing is there selling for cheaper than the current production.

Ehh that's a warning sign. It could have a good reason why is it like that. And says nothing positive to me... IMHO

My bad the "Current Special price" is the same as the vintage, so there the same price.

Ehh that's a warning sign. It could have a good reason why is it like that. And says nothing positive to me... IMHO

Actually no, unless I'm not looking at the right vendor...