Humijar?

Grahamsant

Hi guys,

I was having a general browse of a UK based online store as I'm looking for a half decent cigar ashtray and whilst I was there thought I would have a look at the storage solutions. I've already run out of space in the new large desktop humidor (Bought 5 boxes from here and as I don't have box storage, those were opened and filled the humidor instantly!)

I stumbled upon a "Humijar". Has anyone come across these before? I did a quick forum search and couldn't find any mention of jar or humijar so am presuming it may not have been discussed previously. The images don't appear to show it as being anything much more than a glass jar, with a clipseal lid and a silicone layer in between for the "perfect seal". It doesn't appear to have any extra equipment included although I imagine you could add a small humidifier and hygrometer if you so wish.

I am considering it as a cheap solution to storing a few extra singles for the time being until I can afford a decent sized freestanding humidor so I have a couple of quick questions...

1) Have you come across/used these before? Do they work just as well as a tupperdor/humidor?

2) Appearing extremely similar in design to a standard Kilner jar (approximately a tenth of the price) - is there any advantage to using something officially designated as being a humijar or would you go with the ultra cheap alternative and just use a Kilner jar and humidifier?

Many Thanks for your assistance!

I stumbled upon a "Humijar". Has anyone come across these before? I did a quick forum search and couldn't find any mention of jar or humijar so am presuming it may not have been discussed previously. The images don't appear to show it as being anything much more than a glass jar, with a clipseal lid and a silicone layer in between for the "perfect seal". It doesn't appear to have any extra equipment included although I imagine you could add a small humidifier and hygrometer if you so wish.

1) Have you come across/used these before? Do they work just as well as a tupperdor/humidor?

2) Appearing extremely similar in design to a standard Kilner jar (approximately a tenth of the price) - is there any advantage to using something officially designated as being a humijar or would you go with the ultra cheap alternative and just use a Kilner jar and humidifier?

i believe they should be acrylic. if not, they're just a fancier mason jar that may or may not be useful.

some people say they are better stored in those jars. others say the lack of cedar is their downfall. plop some bovedas in there and i wouldn't see any issues with it.

also, don't make a perfect seal on them. most people i know leaves them ever so slightly ajar (ha!) in order to keep it running and what not.

1. Yes. Disputed.

2. 'Humijars' apparently block light out to safe levels. Try getting an amber acrylic or glass jar. We use amber glass in the lab to block out light to photosensitive materials (which are bloody expensive) so i doubt conventional amber jars would be too different other than resistance to chemical attack.

For a while when i was starting out, i used a giant mason jar which i wrapped with aluminium foil. held humidity great when i put in a block of cedar in and a green foam puck. (i know, i know. i was young. No more green foam for me!)

i believe they should be acrylic. if not, they're just a fancier mason jar that may or may not be useful.

some people say they are better stored in those jars. others say the lack of cedar is their downfall. plop some bovedas in there and i wouldn't see any issues with it.

also, don't make a perfect seal on them. most people i know leaves them ever so slightly ajar (ha!) in order to keep it running and what not.

1. Yes. Disputed.

2. 'Humijars' apparently block light out to safe levels. Try getting an amber acrylic or glass jar. We use amber glass in the lab to block out light to photosensitive materials (which are bloody expensive) so i doubt conventional amber jars would be too different other than resistance to chemical attack.

For a while when i was starting out, i used a giant mason jar which i wrapped with aluminium foil. held humidity great when i put in a block of cedar in and a green foam puck. (i know, i know. i was young. No more green foam for me!)

Thank you for the great info! I'm just thinking - am I making it too hard for myself? Would it be easier and probably cheaper in the long run to get a tupperdor, put a large amount of the cigars currently in my desktop back in the original boxes and into the tupperdor for longer term storage and then have a variety of those cigars and any new singles in my actual Humidor? That would also sort out box storage issues (I know it's nowhere near as pretty as an Imperial or Aristocrat but at least it would be practical!)

Thank you for the great info! I'm just thinking - am I making it too hard for myself?

Would it be easier and probably cheaper in the long run to get a tupperdor, put a large amount of the cigars currently in my desktop back in the original boxes and into the tupperdor for longer term storage and then have a variety of those cigars and any new singles in my actual Humidor?

Yes.

Yes.

But jars are prettier and much better quality than tupperdores. Plus they come in amber acrylic. I've had to place all my clear tupperdores in bloody black bags to stop the light from interfering...

You may need yourself a coolidor if you're already at box buying level. Try your hand at one of those?

x2. was looking for that thread.

worth a skim.

Thank you both! Apologies, I did try looking for a previous topic (obviously not very successfully!)

Those jars look fantastic but I realise could be quite difficult having to maintain (potentially) so many different containers if my collection keeps expanding. Think I will reconsider and start looking down the Tupperdor/Coolidor route. This solves my issue of box storage and allows me to have a wider selection in my Humidor (without having to worry about it being quite so cramped in there!)

Thanks again for the advice!

I feel they can work as a small to medium capacity storage solution - glass, plastic, ceramic. For me, seals tight, no need for cedar, and no humidifiers.

Very well put.......Sealed environment will not lose moisture,put a cedar sheet in the unit if desired.

Also the Rh will remain the same with variations in temperature if the unit is sealed....

I recommend a Hygrometer initially just to monitor Rh and be sure you are not sealing up an overmoist batch of sticks.......

Ok, well it was a good job I started talking about this because I've just gone to pull a cigar out of my humidor and the top layer has a few specks of white mould (despite the anti-mould agent in the solution). Definitely think my humidor is too cramped as there doesn't seem to be sufficient air flow.

Just gone and bought a cheapish 32litre cooler and taken the humidifier out of my humidor temporarily. Hopefully this will solve all problems for the least money.

......the top layer has a few specks of white mould (despite the anti-mould agent in the solution). Definitely think my humidor is too cramped as there doesn't seem to be sufficient air flow.

Assuming you are using a PG solution, I think it is designed more to keep mold from forming on the humidifier. A bit of "chalk-like" mold is easily wiped off. Think about how cigars are packaged - SLBs, for example. They are in fairly tight quarters - typically, a full humidor is more easily regulated than one less so....

Assuming you are using a PG solution, I think it is designed more to keep mold from forming on the humidifier. A bit of "chalk-like" mold is easily wiped off. Think about how cigars are packaged - SLBs, for example. They are in fairly tight quarters - typically, a full humidor is more easily regulated than one less so....

Hmmm...you make a very good point re:the packaging side of things!

It is a PG solution I'm using and the mould has wiped off easily enough so it's not a major issue just one I would rather not have where possible. I think the problem was that the shelf was sitting literally on top of the cigars rather than on the wooden perch as the lower layers were too full and the humidifier I think was literally sat on the cigars in the shelf.

Not to worry, besides, Coolidor means I'll have space to stock up!! :-D