Mrs. Clinton views on Cuba...

Much as I'd like to see it lifted and if Mrs. Clinton wins, it will still be a toss up (and probably a losing one on everybody's part) if the usual gang of Castro-haters in Florida make it a point to get in the way and block it's lifting (as usual) frown.gif

if she in 2016 wins, that's when it will be lifted.

eerrrrr, i still agree with cigcars (still love that username, by the way) on the lobbists there.

also, one person won't get it to change, unfortunately...

• Like 1

I think it's about time the ban gets lifted, regardless if it's Hillary Clinton or Rand Paul in the White House... we'd stop criminalizing US citizens for enjoying the products of a Cuba, we'd get to travel to a place that the rest of the world gets to enjoy wihtout ear of prosecution, and the island would certainly do better economically. And those who don't have a dog in the 1959-60 exodus would (like their counterparts in Viet Nam) get to visit family, and help re-stabilize relations with the Island. (Ask the younger generations - every one I've met hates the stupid ban and those who keep forcing it on them - and the rest of us).

Look at PRVN - they were hurting badly after their civil war (of 30+ years), they normalized trade relations with the US, and their economy came back from the brink. Naysayers once said "They'll never let in investment and tourism", but they did - and it's once again the garden spot of SE Asia. Bet Raul (or his successor) wouldn't do the same for the Jewel of the Caribbean?

The Vietnam example is a very good one. I was fortunate to visit there about 18 months ago to work with some of their university and government staff, and almost to a person they were grateful for the renewed interest and incredibly welcoming to Americans (with the exception of one or two senior officials who, understandably, had to be more reserved). And the general public was totally in favor of that, and that's what we should really focus on, not whether we agree with the government but whether what we do is good for the people. I don't think anyone can make a reasonable argument that our embargo has been good for the average Cuban, and the Castros CERTAINLY have not suffered. It's stupid to let such a small population dictate such a large piece of foreign policy.

• Like 1