Partagas 8-9-8

I was in a highly reputable B+M today in central London and was looking for a Partagas 8-9-8. Having watched the reviews and learning that it was one of Rob's "go to" sticks as well as the fact that I pretty much enjoy all other Partagas I figured I needed to give it a try to see if I wanted to bring it into my rotation.

The nice chap in the store however was adamant that they were discontinued 7 or 8 years ago. I explained to him that this was very confusing having seen some 2013 box codes but he was absolutely adamant.

Can anyone offer up any explanation? Is he right? Am I utterly mad?

I was in a highly reputable B+M today in central London and was looking for a Partagas 8-9-8. Having watched the reviews and learning that it was one of Rob's "go to" sticks as well as the fact that I pretty much enjoy all other Partagas I figured I needed to give it a try to see if I wanted to bring it into my rotation.

The nice chap in the store however was adamant that they were discontinued 7 or 8 years ago. I explained to him that this was very confusing having seen some 2013 box codes but he was absolutely adamant.

The unvarnished 898 was discontinued but the varnished 898 is still there and that's more than likely the confusion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Partagas Lonsdales were discontinued.

Partagas 8-9-8 is another lonsdale size. That comes to my mind but wait for the experts.

The unvarnished 898 was discontinued but the varnished 898 is still there and that's more than likely the confusion

No doubt...

While both use(d) the 8-9-8 packaging, they were different sizes and blends. A bit more concerning to me would be the tobacconist not knowing, but then again, it happens.

Best luck - the 898V is a great cigar smile.png

Thanks very much everyone. i actually did specify varnished to the chap but perhaps he misheard. appreciate the clarification everyone!

Actually looking about the uk merchants it does not seem many have stock maybe H&F stopped importing them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually looking about the uk merchants it does not seem many have stock maybe H&F stopped importing them

My normal "go to" UK based website is also not stocking them any more. It was a real shame because they are definitely up there as one of my favourites so far as well. Very thankful to see that our hosts put some up in the recent clearance and swiped a box instantly!

The Ramon Allones 898 was discontinued 10 years back. Maybe that is what he was thinking for some reason.

Partagas 898's are around and definitely a favorite of mine. Have trouble staying away for my older boxes.

the first 8-9-8 unvarnished makes sense to me. but Laxman's idea seems plausible too:

The Ramon Allones 898 was discontinued 10 years back. Maybe that is what he was thinking for some reason.

my mind does that sometimes...

i'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. people say i have ADHD. i just think that i focus on other things or too many things. if the shopkeep told me that he was thinking about the RA898s, i would give him the benefit of the doubt as i know i'd do something similar too...

But enough psychology. lookaround.gif More talk on cigars!!ok.gif

Just a sidetrack, if i may. I asked this on another thread but it seems more appropriate to ask here... Has anyone reading smoked a Churchill de Luxe? How did they compare to the 8-9-8s or Luistanias, new?