Osprey has Breakfast

While out for my morning run on the Beach here in Coronado, Ca., I ran up on this beautiful Osprey who had just bagged this large fish.

I stopped and watched as he tried to figure out what to do. He attempted several times to fly off with the fish, but it was to heavy for him to fly.

I returned after my run to find that he had just pulled the fish out of the surf to scarf it right there on the shoreline.

Absolutely beautiful Birds!

arezajen.jpg

adabu2u5.jpg

utuhynam.jpg

pasamaja.jpg

• Like 1

That flying rat they call a seagull his just hanging out going "mine, mine, mine, mine, mine" (See Finding Nemo for reference).

Very cool pictures and fun to see nature up close and personal.

Not too shabby a place to go for a run either. One of my favorites spots.

We have a couple that hang out around our beach house on the Alabama coast. Saw one dive and come out of the water with a redfish, almost as long as the bird's wingspan. The osprey struggled to come out of the water with it but soon started flying, and it came right over our house with the fish flapping in the clutches of the bird. An incredible sight I will never forget. Very fun to watch them hunting and then diving for fish in the surf.

I was fishing in Idaho a couple summers ago and saw an osprey take a small trout. Right after that an eagle dove in and started pestering the osprey until it dropped the fish.

The guide told us that eagles do it all the time. It is easier for them to take a trout than it is to catch their own. It was really cool to see them duke it out in the air. Unfortunately, it only lasted a few seconds. The difference between an eagle and an osprey in the air is pretty impressive.