Newbie Humidor Questions

tomj

Hello all,

A newbie questions for you all. First off I have been trying to read all the posts on humidors so if I am repeteing a question I apoligize :) I would like to try the cooler option for storing. From the pictures I have seen they look like the coolers one would buy to put ice and beer into on a hot summer day. Does this matter? Secound question is BEADS.....I bought cheap beads on EBAY I now know I need better ones could you recommend. Again sorry if I am repeting questions. I just placed my 1st order with the prez. I love this form,

Thanks Tom

You can use a regular cooler to store your cigars. Works very well as it creates a good seal. You can also look into the larger sealed plastic totes as well (container store has some). Both work great. Not as pretty as some of the custom humidors, but effective.

When it comes to beads I only use heartfelt beads, but there's other goods ones. Hopefully someone will chime in with other options.

• Like 1

This^^. Go with a cooler in the 80-150qt range depending on the size of your stash (it WILL continue to grow. # slippery slope). Heartfelt beads or if you wanna take the economical route, use kitty litter. It works just as well at a fraction of the cost of beads. Just double up the amt of kl versus beads. Heartfelt has a calculator on its site to help you figure out how many beads you'll need. Good luck! ;)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

if you wanna take the economical route, use kitty litter. It works just as well at a fraction of the cost of beads.

I have never used kitty litter but have read a number of post here in which members say they love it. Read some of the post re: kitty litter. You CANT just use any brand. Some members specify what to use.

I have never used kitty litter but have read a number of post here in which members say they love it. Read some of the post re: kitty litter. You CANT just use any brand. Some members specify what to use.

Exquisicat (sp)?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

What you use for a humidor depends on your expectations and your ambient conditions. Ice chest 'cooler' work well for a lot of people, mostly those that have stable spaces at or below the temperature point at which they wish to store their cigars.

I am an automated cooler guy, that is my niche. There are lots of folks like Wilkey and Keith that are cooler gurus and they can give you some mentoring on the ice chest usage.

You should begin to formulate at what temperature and rH you wish to store your cigars and test a space for those conditions. That is where I suggest you start.

Good luck on your project, and remember there is a ton here to be found with a search. -the Pig

• Like 2

I use a clear plastic box, about 20" deep, 24" long, and 18" wide, which has a lid that locks on all sides and has a foam seal. Bought it on line, but have since seen the same box in Wal Mart. For humidity control, I use one 6" tube of heartfelt beads. Followed the instructions that came with the beads and for over six months now they have maintained a steady 65-66% rh with absolutely no maintenence whatsoever. I have about a dozen boxes in the box with room for a few more.

• Like 1

I have several coolers in my dry and below-the-ground basement (where I also store my wine). I don't want to repeat what others have already said but prefer to stress what Knilas mentioned: go BIG from the start if you want to invest in a first cooler.

Best,

Michel

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bigger is better. You will always need more room. Use the Heartfelt Industries beads as they are great! If you want to do it right, use beads and an electronic humidifier.

I don't want to take anyone to task here, but it is unwise to generalize about humidor appliances unless there is more data.

A gentleman above suggested an active humidifier and beads. Well, that is okay in certain circumstances but not all. It largely depends on the ambient and how well sealed the humidor is.

If you seal a water source in with cigars (a sealed humidor with little ability to diffuse water vapor) then you will get a sauna!

post-79-0-22926200-1394905856_thumb.png

Better be thinking about controls and dehumidification if you are going this route.

-Prof. Piggy

Just going off past experiences when I lived in FL (High Humidity) with several coolidors. The beads helped regulate the humidity by pulling the humidity out of the air while the electric humidifier (hydra) kept it high enough. I would keep the beads dry when I put them in at first and when they filled with moisture from the hydra I would swap them out with other dry ones. My coolidors never had that great of a seal. (Cheap Coolers). So the system worked for me. It was sort of a double fault, if the hydra failed the beads would take over. Also, I never kept them closed long enough to worry about it. I was always moving cigars around.

Being new I started out on the cooler route and have had good results with the heartfelt ind beads. Not sure if it's even necessary but have thought about adding a small fan on a timer. I do absolutely agree with starting with a large as your space allows cooler for future purchases. Great forum guys&gals.

What you use for a humidor depends on your expectations and your ambient conditions. Ice chest 'cooler' work well for a lot of people, mostly those that have stable spaces at or below the temperature point at which they wish to store their cigars.

I am an automated cooler guy, that is my niche. There are lots of folks like Wilkey and Keith that are cooler gurus and they can give you some mentoring on the ice chest usage....

Awwwwww....you love us. :blush:

I find coolers great for storage, I find the most important aspect of a cooler is the seal (dollar bill test it for snugness). Then think about size, I went with a 150 qt but bought a lot of stuff, so it filled up quickly, roughly 40 boxes with a little room for air circulation (upright) with Spanish cedar shelves.

Humidification wise, I have about 1.5 pounds of heartfelt beads and they work great for me. I live in Canada so summers are practically maintenance free, but in the winter requires more water.

BUT I've been thinking of getting a Danby freezer at Costco, bigger space and one hell of a seal, but that's another story.