No Such Thing As Incompatible Cigar Flavors?

Why is that incompatible flavors don't taste incompatible when in a cigar? A buddy and I were enjoying a couple of RA Superiores the other night and I was feeling the light spice, dry grass, leather and dark, bitter chocolate flavors when the thought hit me; since when did chocolate and dry grass go together? You wouldn't make yourself a chocolate and grass sandwich would you? And yet in the context of a mouthful of cigar smoke it's totally intriguing and not offensive to the palate at all.

Perhaps it's the subtlety of flavors when delivered in smoke? There are certainly negative cigar experiences but they seem to be in the realm of harshness (more tactile than taste in my experience), or blandness, than they are a case of conflicting flavors. True, there are individual flavors that will be a personal dislike (I'm not a fan of leather on the palate), but I can't think of a combination of flavors that put me off a cigar because of the two together.

It's because they're be actually the flavors of green grass and chocolate. You're picking those flavors out, but the flavor isn't nearly the same as if you were eating chocolate and grass. Additionally, you're not eating, you're tasting the smoke, so you're getting an aspect of the flavor, mixed with other flavors. Green grass has a particular aroma, taste, etc but you're not getting all of that, just one aspect. If that makes sense...

Subjectively, I imagine that it can be a matter of balance and intensity. In my mind, dry grass would be rather warm and fairly neutral - I can't imagine the sensation would have a negative impact on overall flavor. But the bitterness of fresh cut, dewy, mid summer grass combined with bitter chocolate might be another story.

Dried grass / dried sunflower seed / pistachio with dark chocolate - I'm in.

Yeah, I'm guessing it has something to do with the way smoke delivers flavor and scent, versus liquids or solids. Probably one of those professional perfume blenders could explain it.

Maybe it's more smell than taste, chewing dry grass and chocolate sounds strange, but eating chocolate cake in a field in summer; much better

Nailed it!