New Humidor

AbuAmelia

Greeting all...

I have a question that I need some help on. I've read some posts and opinions on this topic. My dilemma is with seasoning a new humidor for the first time. In the past when I got a 100-200 count humidor, (which i have 4 now) some I seasoned some I didn't, never had a problem with either. Some say wood doesn't like water on it regardless. I am condensing all my humidors into one that Bob from Aristocrat has built me. Delivering on Tuesday. This is a beauty, and I want to care for it more than the other less expensive ones I've had. It has a control system, Set&Forget. I really am going to keep this piece forever and will pass it down one day. I don't want to ruin it. So question is, would you guys Season it before putting boxes in. Or just set the system to whatever percentage I choose, let it climb for a day or so, then put my sticks in. Thoughts?

Thanks a bunch!

Forgive my typos, I'm using a iPhone.

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken, when you receive your Aristocrat, instructions are included for proper seasoning. I remember I followed what Bob stated in his instructions and then put all my boxes in there and no problems since. Hope this helps.

i dont know what you mean by "wood doesnt like water on it," but absolutely do not "wash" the inside in order to get the up to the rh you want.

as stated above, take your time and do it right. also, the exterior environment will affect the humi very much at first. so it may take a couple days,

or it may take a couple weeks.

i dont know what you mean by "wood doesnt like water on it," but absolutely do not "wash" the inside in order to get the up to the rh you want.

as stated above, take your time and do it right. also, the exterior environment will affect the humi very much at first. so it may take a couple days,

or it may take a couple weeks.

He is referring to the common technique of wiping the cedar with a damp cloth and hence there is contact between water and raw wood. Plenty of trains of thought on this but wood tends to blister/warp/splinter when it comes in direct contact with water. Some do it some dont do it. Each to their own.

He is referring to the common technique of wiping the cedar with a damp cloth and hence there is contact between water and raw wood. Plenty of trains of thought on this but wood tends to blister/warp/splinter when it comes in direct contact with water. Some do it some dont do it. Each to their own.

I assumed thats what he meant, but was thinking maybe something else.

I know there are varying schools of thought here, but I would NEVER put wood in contact with any liquid. I wouldn't do it in my kitchen, or my wood floors and I don't like it when it rains on my deck, so sure as hell I won't let the wood inside my humi touch and water!

5apy7y8y.jpgejyqage9.jpgpa6e3eze.jpgygeqytyt.jpg

e9y9a2ap.jpg

This baby has arrived! Now I need to fill it up!!! What a beautiful job Bob did! Flawless and oh so easy set instructions. His instructions said NO WIPE DOWN! my only regret is not buying a bigger one.

Bobs recommendation was to have the humidor Stabilize to 65% which can take 3-5 days on his instructions. I've already had the humidor for 2 days and it's at 70%. I don't have any CC's and think I want to keep my NC's at 70°. If that's the case, should I wait longer or is it ok to fill now?

I think you'd be okay putting them in. The RH should drop when you put your stash in. What temp have you set? You might want to lower it to 65 if you haven't already.

It came preset from Aristocrat at 65 RH.

Mold, that be. Any in the foot? Regardless, looks pretty bad.

Nothing on the foot. Just on the cigar itself. I wiped then down. Hopefully they will be ok. :(

• 11 months later...

5apy7y8y.jpgejyqage9.jpgpa6e3eze.jpgygeqytyt.jpg

e9y9a2ap.jpg

This baby has arrived! Now I need to fill it up!!! What a beautiful job Bob did! Flawless and oh so easy set instructions. His instructions said NO WIPE DOWN! my only regret is not buying a bigger one.

very nice