Seasoning with Xikar

bossman3

I probably haven't read far but a guy at the cigar shop told me to season my new humidor with Xikar 70% for 24 hours and then use the solution in the puck that came with the humidor. Does he know what he's talking about?

Why don't you start by measuring the rH that your humidor produces as a matter of it being acclimated to the shop (space) where it was stored before doing anything to it?

Why attempt to adjust something before knowing to what extent it needs tuning?

Cheers! -Piggy

I have nothing against most standard methods, I am just suggesting that you let your humidor tell you what it wants and in what quantity. In this way you don't oversaturate it. Water is easier to get into wood and cigars than it is to remove it!!!

Best of luck on your project. Cheers! -Piggy

Seasoning is simply acclimatising your new humidor to maintain the humidity you want for your cigar storage. As the saying goes there are many ways to skin a cat. Doing the method suggested (if i understand correctly, wiping the humidor with xikar solution, then throwing the puck in) is not a commonly used method i do not think. Common method is to wipe the inside of the humidor with a damp clean cloth that has distilled water on it, and then throw a puck with xikar solution in it. This will still take 2-3 days to get a good humidity but you will most definitely see some fluctuation in rH for a week or two before it settles down. Also you risk damaging the surface of the wood as no raw wood likes water being added to its surface, ever.

Other methods include using a xikar humidor seasoning gel, or a boveda boveda seasoning packet, or just put a bowl of distilled water in the humidor for a few weeks. These methods are better for the internal wood, but take about a week to two weeks to get to a good steady humidity before you can start storing your cigars.

• 1 year later...

Seasoning is simply acclimatising your new humidor to maintain the humidity you want for your cigar storage. As the saying goes there are many ways to skin a cat. Doing the method suggested (if i understand correctly, wiping the humidor with xikar solution, then throwing the puck in) is not a commonly used method i do not think. Common method is to wipe the inside of the humidor with a damp clean cloth that has distilled water on it, and then throw a puck with xikar solution in it. This will still take 2-3 days to get a good humidity but you will most definitely see some fluctuation in rH for a week or two before it settles down. Also you risk damaging the surface of the wood as no raw wood likes water being added to its surface, ever.

Other methods include using a xikar humidor seasoning gel, or a boveda boveda seasoning packet, or just put a bowl of distilled water in the humidor for a few weeks. These methods are better for the internal wood, but take about a week to two weeks to get to a good steady humidity before you can start storing your cigars.

I learned this the hard way with my first humi