Switching drinks mid-cigar...

I just posted a photo in FOH daily smoke, where I was finishing a beer from dinner before switching to one of my favourite whiskies.

yryresev.jpg

Dinner was pan fried lamb cutlets and a little salsa and rocket salad type deal. 't'was choice!

Anyway, I was itching to light my cigar and did so, and have since finished my Coopers Sparkling Ale and switched to my Dalmore 15 year old. The stark contrast in flavour profile from the drinks is obvious but the effect on the profile from the cigar is almost negligible, apart from an ever so slight sweetening.

I rarely find myself in this scenario of switching a drink pairing. Maybe switching from one red wine to another. But this leads me to two questions...

1) does anyone ever, often, switch drinks mid-cigar?

&

2) if so, do you find a noticeable difference in flavour delivery from the cigar?

Cheers

Jer

I find the finish is only a bit different. I drink either a coffee a coke or water with my smokes and the coke tends to wash out the mouth a bit, while the water seems to enhance the flavours a bit more. I generally take small sips every 4 or 5 puffs regardless of what beverage im drinking.

Interesting enough, I enjoy a gin and tonic with a cigar quite often and usually like the pairing. Last night I ran out of gin mid cigar, which left me cursing at my stupidity, and had to reach for something else. I ended up grabbing some Jack Daniels honey on ice and it did change the profile of the cigar a bit. The cigar had a little sweeter profile probably because of the sweetness of the JD honey. Ended up enjoying both halfs.

I do it all the times.When I go to Toronto to meet up with other botls I start out with a Mojito and after that it's Diet Coke.At home,whatever tickles my fancy.

Your, and others observations, prove how versatile a cigar can be. Going from beer to scotch IS a big deal, but the fact that the cigar basically kept its profile proves how interesting pairings can be. Having said that I normally have just one drink, and some water, with one cigar. I have not made it a habit to mix my drinks with a single cigar.