biggest choke ever?

there i was, checking the overnight sports.

WBA and the glorious gunners go into extra time in the kiddies cup. after three shots each, WBA lead 3-2. surely not? but yes, they stuff their next two, the gunners sneak home.

it might not be greg norman proportions or that east european tennis player who had half her name engraved on the wimbeldon mug before collapsing in tears but nice enough.

wondering if any other big chokes in the world of sports of late? anyone think of any?

Recently you'd have to go NZ in the America's Cup. They were up 8-1, needing 1 more win to clinch the Cup, and they somehow lose.

Next up Chelsea though, and you can just tell Wenger will play another young squad mellow.png

Yeah, that was a kick in the nards. Hard to compete with that sort of money though.

Recently you'd have to go NZ in the America's Cup. They were up 8-1, needing 1 more win to clinch the Cup, and they somehow lose.

please more details. please. feel free to set it out in excruciating and minute detail.

to be honest, i may have had that in mind when i posted but i did not want to be accused by rob of destroying his kiwi market. again.

the fact that it was an aussie at the tiller (do racing yachts have tillers?) really was the cherry!

extraordinary from every perspective. must say that sailing doesn't excite me much and nz were about 7-1 up before i even knew it was on. but i gather that not only did they come back from 8-1 down in a first to 9 series but that the first two races that they won were not counted and were ruled out! amazing effort.

the two very large delivery men who've just turned up with the new bed turn out to be kiwis. one thought it would be funny to joke about where i wanted the new couch (given that the retailer and i have had very loud, very long discussions about levels of service and the horrendous dishonesty of their managers, it was not funny). he has been less happy to chat yachting.

the fact that it was an aussie at the tiller (do racing yachts have tillers?) really was the cherry!

extraordinary from every perspective. must say that sailing doesn't excite me much and nz were about 7-1 up before i even knew it was on. but i gather that not only did they come back from 8-1 down in a first to 9 series but that the first two races that they won were not counted and were ruled out! amazing effort.

I believe there were 3 aussies total in the american crew. even better!

asked an aussie mate of mine who lives in orcland how things were over there.

his response (and remember we have been on the wrong end of a few things of late).

I knew these fools had lost it when the front page of the NZ Herald (about 2 weeks ago) was saying the whole team will get knighthoods...

As usual they messed their pants well before they even got the the girls bra off....so to speak.

just got sent a video link which was priceless. mayor of orcland announcing that they will win with dignity and lose with dignity. next interview. woman declaring oracle didn't deserve it. next one, someone claiming that the kiwis had the better tactics and that oracle copied those tactics to bet them.

best of all, back to the mayor taking credit for the oracle win because there were kiwis in the oracle team.

you just could not have made this stuff up!