Beauty in the Details - The PL Small Robusto

The PL Small Robusto is in the same size category of the beloved HDM Petit Robusto. It is a short and fat cigar that you will spend 30 - 45 min with. It is a regional release for Italy and is by far the most beautiful looking cigar in this specific category. It is adorned with the gold PL band, followed by the usual Regional Release band - the combination of colors is fantastic! But apart from looks, this one also has substance indeed...

Hazelnut followed with strong scents of wood and chocolate, a touch of lime maybe and a touch of spice near the end, overall sweet and medium bodied. Construction is close to perfect and while it is not cheap, it is far better than other short cigars from more "prestigious" brands - and EL by the way - like the Partagas Serie D No 5 EL from 2008 or the Trinidad EL from 2010.

One of the best Regional Releases from Habanos and truly in line with the country it is released for.

Cheers!

I have heard nothing but great things about the PL Short Robusto. I have read several reviews which have all sung high praises for the cigar. Problem is, they are quite pricey for the length of smoke and they are impossible to find w/o a huge markup. The search continues!

Sounds good but I just don't get the size. For me a good cigar with that RG needs to be longer. I know lots of people love the format but it is my least favorite.

I don't understand people that don't like the size. I mean come on. Who really wants to be locked in to a cigar for hours on end. With a shorter, it allows you to continue life or have a different cigar if you wanted. It's really a win, all the way around.

I don't understand people that don't like the size. I mean come on. Who really wants to be locked in to a cigar for hours on end. With a shorter, it allows you to continue life or have a different cigar if you wanted. It's really a win, all the way around.

just a matter of taste.

there is no right or wrong.

pod.gif Even better: the electronic cigarette.

You have probably never smoked a churchill or a DC or a long panatela. If you think the truncated sizes are a progress, you miss the essence of cigar smoking and the ability to stop time.

You have probably never smoked a churchill or a DC or a long panatela. If you think the truncated sizes are a progress, you miss the essence of cigar smoking and the ability to stop time.

I'm know I'm going to sound like a politician, but I can see both sides here. I actually enjoy the PR format since I usually don't have longer periods of time to devote to a smoke. But, when available, I also enjoy DC's and Churhills for those times when I can devote the appropriate time for them. That's why it is important for me to keep the humi stocked with cigars of various vitolas. ok.gif

I'm know I'm going to sound like a politician, but I can see both sides here. I actually enjoy the PR format since I usually don't have longer periods of time to devote to a smoke.

OK, but we had plenty of short vitolas prior to the the creation of the petit robusto… What is the benefit? A bigger volume of smoke in a shorter time?

The discontinued minutos, pc, coronitas, franciscanos, etc. were more coherent, at least they had a start, a middle and an end; to me the petit robusto reach their end at the moment they are becoming really tasty…

OK, but we had plenty of short vitolas prior to the the creation of the petit robusto… What is the benefit? A bigger volume of smoke in a shorter time?

The discontinued minutos, pc, coronitas, franciscanos, etc. were more coherent, at least they had a start, a middle and an end; to me the petit robusto reach their end at the moment they are becoming really tasty…

I think the main thing, for me anyway, is that the HdM and Monty PE, for example, have more pronounced and distinguished flavors than their larger counterparts. Heck, I loved the PSD5 EL when it came out in 2008. Initially I thought they were crap but then the came around. When I decided I liked them, I couldn't find a box anymore. But while I do enjoy that format, I probably smoke more minutos (shorts, principes, reyes, etc.) and pc's than any other vitola, so go figure. That being said, I probably won't go hunting for a box of the PL's. I know it is a marca that generally requires some age to enjoy, but I just can't seem to acquire a taste for them, regardless the size.

Poetic description of a hefty cigar