The oddest thing....

Has this ever happened to you: you choose a cigar to smoke, light it up, and swear you are smoking something completely different..... it just happened to me and it kind of messed with my head a little....

I chose a Montecristo Petit Edmundo for a quick smoke to slow down my hectic day and because I love the monte marca... let's just say, I know the monte flavors very well and chose the PE for this very reason - it's what i wanted to smoke.

I took the torch lighter to the foot and began to toast this squat badboy when the aroma caught my nose.... wow, that's different.... I then took a few puffs and was baffled at what I was tasting.... this is no montecristo....

it tasted exactly like a Por Larranaga robusto. It had that strong, perfumy PL quality to it and it didn't let up. As I continued to smoke it, I was almost certain.

I think I just had, probably, the most limited edition cigar EVER produced.... so exclusive, only one was ever made.... you don't know what you've got until it's gone....

then i smoked a monte no.4 and was satisfied.... I love PL Robusto's but not when they are a montecristo petit edmundo!

Over time, i've personally come to find that cigars have more similarities than they do differences.

Hmmm, that's fascinating... I've just realized that I really stick with specific maracas that really show differences (at least to my palette) and the only time I've found similarities is when they are in a "sick" period - that's very noticeable....

rob just swaps bands when he get bored.

HAHA! Sounds like a new form of taste test: Is It, OR Isn't it???

Has this ever happened to you: you choose a cigar to smoke, light it up, and swear you are smoking something completely different....

Every single time I smoke a cigar for the blind tasting reviews....

Hmmm, that's fascinating...

It's not to say that different cigars can't or don't have qualities which might help make them representative of a particular marque. But personally, I just find that Cuban cigars share more core characteristics than have those which make them unmistakably different from one another.

Rob brought up the blind tastings - I think blind tasting is worth trying for oneself at some point.

It's not to say that different cigars can't or don't have qualities which might help make them representative of a particular marque. But personally, I just find that Cuban cigars share more core characteristics than have those which make them unmistakably different from one another.

i gave it some thought and now I understand completely what you mean and couldn't agree more... I think it actually would have been a more exciting smoke to have gotten the core monte flavors and then suddenly got a bit of PL robusto.... not 100% PL in a monte package, heheheh....

.... not 100% PL in a monte package, heheheh....

I understand what you mean smile.png In reading this years blind tastings (cigar number three was just revealed), a number of members have expressed surprise at the results. This leaves me with a question - are we surprised because the cigar tasted so much different than others of the same we've smoked? Or could it be that without a band for reference, the cigars actually tasted much more similar to any number of different cigars we've smoked.....

I understand what you mean smile.png In reading this years blind tastings (cigar number three was just revealed), a number of members have expressed surprise at the results. This leaves me with a question - are we surprised because the cigar tasted so much different than others of the same we've smoked? Or could it be that without a band for reference, the cigars actually tasted much more similar to any number of different cigars we've smoked.....

intriguing question and no doubt - at times- I've smoked a cigar that didn't taste quite the norm but i let it pass because I saw the band and i would remember other versions that I smoked in the past and sort of "live vicariously"....

However, to use my experience with this years blind taste test -for the samples I was given- the first two cigars presented every single trait you would find for that specific cigar that was eventually revealed (RyJ Churchill and Juan Lopez Seleccion no.2) - they had the look, the taste, the smell, the feel and practically all of the dynamics of those particular cigars..... i feel that those who didn't choose correctly either had cigars that were too young, lacking (or none at all) traits associated with them or not enough experience with that particular cigar to recognize qualities....

my 3rd cigar, however, had absolutely NONE of those traits for me, was clearly a very young cigar and for that reason it threw me off the trail and sent me in a completely different direction.... BUT if it had the Vegas Robaina band on it when I smoked it, I would have taken a moment to look at the cigar, reconsider what I was tasting, and then probably would then remember the last good VR I smoked and live vicariously in that memory....

the funny thing is, I actually tried to do this with the Monte PE that I started this thread about and it really messed with my head because none of the common monte flavors were present....