If the (outside) humidity is already in the high 60s or low 70s..

bugler

The humidity in my (new) humidor is too high. The hygrometer has been through the salt test and recorded 75% on the mark after it. There are no cigars in the humidor yet.

Newbie question: Is it possible that the humidity where I live (Ireland) is currently such that I should consider removing the humidifier for the time being? The last few days here have seen humidity levels of 65%-72% (I mean outside the humidor). With my humidifier in the humidor the humidity is too high (75%-80% or so over the past couple of days)

Last night I took the humidifier out and left it be and the hygrometer recorded a rock solid 70% over the course of the evening - much better. But it feels wrong to have removed the humidifier. It seems to go against the concept of the humidor as a self-contained/regulating unit.

If it's possible, I think I may have over-watered the polymer humidifier prior to use. Could this have too much distilled water absorbed in it, and it will need to dry out a bit?

Is it possible that the humidity where I live (Ireland) is currently such that I should consider removing the humidifier for the time being?

Absolutely - why add any kind of moisture where unwanted? Typically, I do not add water directly to my humidifiers, but as needed, place a small water container within my humidors. In more humid conditions, I tend to use my humidifiers as de-humidifiers.

My friend Ross is right on the money here.

What is a humidor? Does the term humidor, mean to provide humidity, or supply humidity, or stabilize humidity? I proffer that the last definition is the most accurate.

A humidor is by nature a "microclimate." The microclimate itself, as far as its parameters for both temperature and humidity are not defined by me, nor some guru, but you, and perhaps your surroundings if it steps out of the bounds of your control.

A humidor is but a climate controlled box. It does not by any true definition supply, nor dry, nor heat nor cool. It does it all in any amount defined by its owner and his or her ability to affect those perimeters over those of forces of the outside world.

As a believer in active controlled humidors I want it all. And I get it too! You see a humidor can do very little or a whole lot depending on design and control; depending on the will of the owner and the developer and of course, the climate outside it.

Humidors both active and passive need to designed around their macro climate; the climate outside or you will have a tough time keeping the cigars inside of them stable.

Even with those with active humidors, I recommend monitoring the outside world. With permeable or semi-permeable humidors your inside microclimate will always be looking to follow that of the climate outside. Seasonal humidor changes are normal, and even I change my parameters to adjust for prevailing forces from outside my humidor if I need to.

So in order for you to understand and feel 'comfortable' with your humidor and the term itself, you must define it correctly, or at least understand its function. A humidor can do it all, or nothing at all depending on the forces outside of it and the owners demand on it. It is in fact a humidor when it provides stability and protection of the cigars inside and when its internal parameters meet your individual demands. Proof of the working humidor can be logged in a scientific manner, or simply empirically by the smoker, or his friends that partake in the cigars from the humidor. When the cigars inside, construction issues notwithstanding, meet or exceed your expectations dutifully over the course of time, you have a successful humidor! That is what defines a working humidor as I see it.

Cheers! -the Pig

Thanks for the input, all.

The humidifer is still out, and it's reading a solid 69% consistently. I'll leave well enough alone for now and periodically monitor it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input, all.

The humidifer is still out, and it's reading a solid 69% consistently. I'll leave well enough alone for now and periodically monitor it.

Don't sweat it so much. If your humidor maintains the rh in the 65% range, give or take 2-3%, with or without the humidifiers, leave it alone.

I live in south Alabama, within a few miles of the Gulf of Mexico, and our humidity typically runs at least 80% and most of the time over 90% in the summer; winter no so much, but still more humid than most places. As such, my central A/C runs about 22 hours a day in the summer and it keeps the humidity inside my house around 55% year round. There are times I have no humidifiers in my humidors and times I'll have to keep two or three in them to maintain the constant 65% level I want to maintain.

I've been having a few of the same issue recently with my wineador, since the weather changed and got wet here in the Lake District few weeks ago my humidity has risen to around the 69-70% mark. Outside RH has been in the mid to high 70's. My Cigarmony beads are pretty much bone dry but that doesn't seem to be having much affect. I've just plugged the back of the wineador (didn't need it when the weather was drier) and started to dry out my cedar shelves and boxes thinking they may be holding a bit too much moisture having been sat around 70-72%RH the last few weeks. Hopefully this will help.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I over humified my desktop. I have the beads in a little container and then I threw in a boveda pack that i got from my local B&M and I just moved some over to a new humi I setup and noticed some of the sticks I had were squishy. Im assuming because I had the pack laying on top of those thats why....question is are they ruined or do they just need to be dry boxed for a day or 2?

I think I over humified my desktop. I have the beads in a little container and then I threw in a boveda pack that i got from my local B&M and I just moved some over to a new humi I setup and noticed some of the sticks I had were squishy. Im assuming because I had the pack laying on top of those thats why....question is are they ruined or do they just need to be dry boxed for a day or 2?

You did not ruin anything. Cigars are certainly more easy to store than fresh food and many other commodities. I don't know that two days are going to return them to smokable, that would be guessing. If you like dryer cigars and have a well controlled climate then I would suggest a couple of months in that stable desirable climate. Speculation on what is smokable to you, the ambient conditions of your home and the aspects of the cigars makes this an almost impossible question to accurately answer.

If you want to transfer water from them quickly, they need to be brought to a higher temperature. Cool tobacco strongly bonds to water vapor. The cooler you keep them, the longer they will take to lose water.

-Piggy

You did not ruin anything. Cigars are certainly more easy to store than fresh food and many other commodities. I don't know that two days are going to return them to smokable, that would be guessing. If you like dryer cigars and have a well controlled climate then I would suggest a couple of months in that stable desirable climate. Speculation on what is smokable to you, the ambient conditions of your home and the aspects of the cigars makes this an almost impossible question to accurately answer.

If you want to transfer water from them quickly, they need to be brought to a higher temperature. Cool tobacco strongly bonds to water vapor. The cooler you keep them, the longer they will take to lose water.

-Piggy

Very good info thank you Piggy :). I was planning on moving them to the other humidor that I have to try and balance them out that I have in my bedroom which is usually a little higher temp.