What are your laptop/netbook/tablet essential apps?

The app I use most would have to be Snaggit to capture images/websites etal. For people who use their Laptop/netbooks/Tablets intensely, what apps have you downloaded that can you simply not live without (not including operating systems such as Office etc). give us a brief description of what they do and what makes them indispensable for you.

Often we are so focused on day to day work that we forget to look up and do the research as to what is out there.

Cheers!

Besides Office and Firefox. If you use win7 or newer it comes with a pretty handy screen capture program called "Snipping Tool" and its free.

Ultraedit, a pretty powerful text editing program, for when notepad does not cut it.

Maybe also a torrent program?

When it comes to my iPad the one app i couldn't live without is Goodplayer

It allows you to upload and play any format video file onto an iPad/Phone without it needing to be MP4 encoded

Considering the main reason i bought my tablet was to use it as a portable media player when traveling, its a life saver as i can just drag and drop any of the 1000's of avi format video files onto my iPad through iTunes without having to convert them

It works really well and its free in the App Store

ADOBE Photoshop CS6 for me.

I use it for Photos and Video editing as well as general tinkering and designing. Once upon a time, I did study Graphic design so I still very much enjoy creating even if these days its to create some impressive pieces of home work for my daughter. ;)

Really, a brilliant program, quite expensive but well worth it as the options and uses are endless.

Interesting question...... As my career choice dictates, the apps I cannot seem to live without are called Scrivener (great app for gathering info and organizing ideas into a cohesive structured plan) and Final Draft (scriptwriting software)....

For news and articles I like an app called Flipboard for iPad, organizing articles from whatever sources you tell it to, I can spend hours flipping through stuff....

And since I'm a New Yorker, we spend more on restaurants and takeout food then preparing meals at home, so there's a nifty app called Seamless which will look up restaurants in my area and allow me to order delivery all in one app.....

So in a nutshell, I'm a writer who's trapped at home reading magazines and ordering takeout.....

Apps:

Advanced Task Killer - shuts down apps running in the background to preserve battery life

File Manager HD - easy to use file manager

Cheap Parking - finds all the parking stations in an area and what the prices are. real good when you're going out

OOCL - shipping container schedules, cargo & vessel tracking, container specs, etc

Exchange Rates - self-explanatory

Viber - internet calls and messaging

WhatsApp - similar to Viber, except it's only messaging

ANZGoMoney - banking

Sudoku - for when you're bored in the wee hours of the morning and can't get to sleep

Word Target - again, good for when the insomnia kicks in

Big Big Big 2 - chinese card game.... once again to combat insomnia....

FlightRadar24 Pro is an app i use to track my Mrs when she's flying in between Brisbane and Sydney or Melbourne. In the old days you'd have to rely on the airlines websites to find out when aircraft are due in. This app gives you a real time picture of aircraft in flight, via a system called ADSB, which pretty much all jet a/c worldwide are now equipped with, or soon will be.

I've found that when she is returning from Sydney, and enters a holding pattern over the Gold Coast, i can light up a PC on my deck at home, and without rushing, pull up in the car as she leaves the terminal. I've tried a Robusto and it was a bit rushed! It also helps that i only live 10 mins from the airport!

Well worth the $5 or whatever it was for the Pro version!

Evernote and the Chrome clipping plugin for it. Every piece of web info I need to keep I just clip and its saved in Evernote. I can also make notes on the go as well. Can access from any device.

At work I use OneNote instead of Evernote as it integrates better with other office apps.

A PDF writer like Cutepdf to save docs as PDF.

Sky drive, Dropbox, Google drive or similar to share files among devices.

Xmarks to sync web bookmarks among devices and different browsers.

Screen clipper like MW snap or Snaggit

x2 for Evernote. I like the fact that it is cross platform and available on Blackberry.

I dont use the iPad or phone for my photo work, so the app I use most is Flipboard to read the news and follow interests I like.

It was mentioned before by Stanislaw, but if you have never used Flipboard check it out.

Great for news that interests you and for saving articles in your own library to read later.

Had a look at Flipboard - I have used Zite in the past - you can't really save articles (not that I know of but if you can please let me know) but the breadth of content is far greater and better topics - like cigars, tobacco, wine etc etc

Spotify...

Nothing I like more than listening to music while smoking a cigar.

I think spotify is great. Seems to be that 95% of the stuff I listen to is on there.

Anything from jay z, Kendrick Lamar, kings of Leon to the prodigy etc.

I also use a gorgeously designed app called partly cloudy. Fantastic for determining the weather will be good enough to smoke as it gives the time the rain will start to fall and details the amount. Also shows temp and wind speeds. Amazing.

Puffin web browser, great for watching flash videos on iPad.

Tapatalk, great for uploading pic to the forum.

Posted, tracks all packages you have in transit and notifies you when they have been delivered.

Ex currency converter: to see how much my smokes will cost me!

iPhone / iPad apps:

• Google Maps - way better than any OS maps stuff
  • Converter+ - excellent at up-to-date conversions, weight, distance, financial, etc.
  • Boost Magic - best for proper charging cycles once or twice a month to get the best out of battery life
  • Find My iPhone - indespensible tool in case of a loss or theft
  • Nightstand - great alarm clock with world weather
  • TurboScan - uses your iPhone's/iPad's camera, and lets you take a picture of a document/page, and turn it into a PDF seamlessly
  • Shazam - for finding out what song is playing somewhere
  • Netflix
  • Tapatalk
  • Epic Fail - good for a laugh now and again
  • ShieldBasic Ontario - an invaluable law enforcement resource app
  • 10k Runner & 100 Pushups - workout apps