Trying out some Box Pass cigars

A Sunday afternoon, so I took some time out from packing for my move to a new place by enjoying a couple of cigars from the recent FOH Box Pass!

First up was the Cuaba Exclusivos PEL ABR 02 from jacktarnold. A cigar i've not had before, but was pleased to see it come all the way around, because I do like to try cigars from Marca's I normally don't search out, like Cuaba.

post-5835-0-06490900-1372027955_thumb.jp

Draw was a little tight, but no problem smoking this guy. It ended up tasting quite nice - smooth flavour, light toasted tobacco. Mild flavour, but definitely enjoyable, with a sweet cookie taste that I like. Certainly a cigar I would enjoy again.

I thought I'd keep the good times rolling with a regional I skipped over when visiting Andorra in 2011 - the Juan Lopez Short Robusto RE Andorra from mbrody. I normally steer clear of short robustos, but every Juan Lopez RE i've had has been stellar (except for the pedestrian Obus).

post-5835-0-49860300-1372027867_thumb.jp

A great looking stick, and I gotta say - upon clipping it, I'm met with a welcome sight that I'm seeing often these days - a great divot that comes right out with the cap. Some great rollers at work!

post-5835-0-04656000-1372027909_thumb.jp

This cigar smoked like a dream. The Cuaba was good, but this cigar is hitting on all cylinders - rich, delicious characteristic Juan Lopez all the way, with tons of sweet baking spices at play - Nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar....it's all here.

post-5835-0-36749200-1372027932_thumb.jp

The draw is perfect, and the Ash is a hero - doesn't want to quit!

post-5835-0-40812000-1372027889_thumb.jp

I was a fool not to invest in a cab of these when I visited Andorra. They are high on my list for whenever I will be able to get back there. A fantastic Juan Lopez for all that enjoy the marca.

Thanks Jack and Mbrody for the chance to try these great cigars! An afternoon well spent :)

Glad to hear that the little JL smoked well...I will be sure to post when I dip into some box pass smokes!

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks again for the fantastic box pass.

My pleasure, man! I'm glad you included the Cuaba!

Glad to hear that the little JL smoked well...I will be sure to post when I dip into some box pass smokes!

That'd be awesome, Mike - I look forward to hearing how they smoke! This Andorra RE was fantastic - I hope you cherish the ones you have left! :)

I am really curious what you will think of the Abbey Clear Havana smile.png

I looked longingly at it when I picked the JL from the Box Pass Box in my Humi.......I'm saving it for a special occasion, probably when I move into my new place in a few weeks. It's not every day you get to enjoy an 80 yr old cigar! I will be sure to review it - there's no way I can shirk doing a review for a cigar with such a distinguished age! :)

I smoked a couple from the pass today too Chris. The RA Belicosos Germany was so good it made me sad I only had one of them!!

What other one did you try, Ross? I am excited to try my RA Beli from Germany as well......I've been waiting years to give one a go!

What other one did you try, Ross? I am excited to try my RA Beli from Germany as well......I've been waiting years to give one a go!

I had the CoRo as well. It was fine, but not great... I never buy these and every time I smoke one I'm reminded why - for the price and less there are so many consistently good cigars that a consistently average one doesn't get a look in for me :)

Same day I had an LGC Tainos, which was delightful, and a Cohiba 1966. The 1966 and RA Beli tied for top spot. The chocolate profile of the 1966 is fantastic, and the dark, brooding molasses and earthy tones of the RA Beli is a lesson in what a cigar can be if it's blended right.

I've been loving the German ER profiles, a generous friend gifted me one of the the Bolivar Especiales #2 and counselled that I wait a couple of years before smoking it. I'm looking forward to that one!

a generous friend gifted me one of the the Bolivar Especiales #2 and counselled that I wait a couple of years before smoking it. I'm looking forward to that one!

They are perfect NOW - no need to wait. This way you can still try to score a full box once you've had that single because you WILL want one :)