Wineador Build Project

rook

Hey Fella's,

I've recently put the wheels in motion in building a Wineador. So I thought I would do a build thread, I went with the VT-28TEDS sold by Hayneedle.com. Here is a photo of the unit when I got it out of the box, before I put on the handle.

b9d82792-7efe-4ca8-93d9-0554b874d052_zpseb4e2197.jpg

The first thing I did was wash down the interior of the wine cooler with distilled vinegar then followed that up with a wipe down with distilled water. I then placed a bowl full of baking soda inside the unit for about 4 or 5 days. I then followed that up with stuffing the unit full of news paper for a week. Then I installed the fan and stuffed it full of news paper again.

01134b31-0b19-47b5-8bc8-61cd831da0eb_zps78d15b40.jpg

I then "installed" a CPU Fan by just drilling a hole through the back of the unit allowing the cord to feed through and into a power source. The Aquarium sealant should be arriving today as well to seal up the hole I drilled so no humidity or air is able to escape. Credit for the idea of putting the fan on the standoffs on the cigar box goes to WillGSX's thread called "Nifty little wineador fan project..." he was extremely helpful.

FanInstalled_zpsd608067d.jpg

A couple of weeks ago when I ordered the unit itself, I ordered some drawers and shelves from Forrest. Those should be arriving mid June, I was wondering though how long should I allow the drawers and shelves to season before filling them with cigars? I've ordered 1 1/2lbs of 65% Heartfelt beads those should be arriving today as well. I ordered three digital Xikar rectangular hygrometers and a Boveda Calibration Kit, I didn't want to fuss with the salt in the bottle cap process. I have those three calibrated and ready to rock now as well. I'll continue to post updates with pictures as the build process progresses.

• Like 1

Nice! I'm starting my wineador soon, the newair 28 will be arriving this week. I would put the shelves in and watch the humidity. I'm assuming the humidity level will stabilize once the shelves stop stop absorbing the moisture. But then again I'm no expert, just my .02. Good luck, post pics when it's done!

The aquarium sealant finally arrived last night, so in between tornado sirens going off I managed to caulk up the whole I drilled for the fan wires.

fansealant_zps8cca35be.jpg

I'm going to leave the door open for the rest of the day and let it air out. Then tomorrow morning I am going to stuff it full of news paper again and let it sit shut for about a week.

Looking good so far

In my tinkering around of mine, I found to get more air flow w more space under the fan thus why I have wood blocks to prop it up but if u are comfortable with your flow currently then there you go

See how the 1.5lbs beads work w a full humi, you can never have too many beads IMHO

Are you going to plug it in or leave it uncooled?

Keep us posted and great job!

Looking good so far

In my tinkering around of mine, I found to get more air flow w more space under the fan thus why I have wood blocks to prop it up but if u are comfortable with your flow currently then there you go

See how the 1.5lbs beads work w a full humi, you can never have too many beads IMHO

Are you going to plug it in or leave it uncooled?

Keep us posted and great job!

I can't raise my fan too much higher because of the height of the fan itself. I had it mounted on top of a intact Montecristo which raised it about 1.75inches off the bottom of the cooler but since the fan itself is about an inch high plus the standoffs it was about .25 inches too tall and wouldn't fit under the false drawer. So I improvised and just cut the lid off the rest of the box.

I plan on leaving it plugged in since the St. Louis summers can get up to 100F. I talked to Forrest a couple of days ago, he said he is going to do his best to have the drawers and everything ready to be shipped by the 15th.

• 1 month later...

My drawers arrived from Forrest's workshop today.

It took a little bit to get all the saw dust off of them but I finally got them in the cooler, take a look.

DSC_0083_zps1083b523.jpg

DSC_0086_zps753d1516.jpg

DSC_0087_zps92186162.jpg

DSC_0088_zpsfa6c2df9.jpg

DSC_0093_zps0f7c60ae.jpg

Forrest did a tremendous job!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't want to Hijack your thread, but I did a little write up on my last Wineador build as well. I now have 2, 28 bottle NewAirs. Both have set ups by Forrest. One has his Draweres, the other has trays. I have to admitt. I like the Trays, much better.

Units

It is best to purchase a Thermoelectric System. NewAir is just one of the

many models you can purchase. You can find scratch & dent models on

AirNWater regularly. Other models include Edgestar & Vinotemp

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/aw-280e.htm

Coupon code-RETME10 for 10% off.

Trays/Drawers

Forrest is one of a few people that will make trays/drawers for your unit. Another is Chasidor. Forrest is the most reliable.

Trays (Forrest makes 3 standard trays)

http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Cedar-Tray-12-13/dp/B009Q5W224/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371650136&sr=8-1&keywords=Wineadors.com

Tray Sizes

8" X 13" X 2"

10" X 13" X 2"

12" X 13" X 2"

These come in 8-10 DAYS

Drawers(complete set up)

http://www.wineadors.com/

http://www.chasidorhumidors.com

Both are now at a 2-3 month wait.

The full set up with drawers is nice, but for half the cost and less time

the trays are just as nice. They are created with the same exact

material as well.

You can also get the cheap small trays

from Cheap Humidor. However these are small and leave you with over 5

inches of room. That extra 5 inches can get you 50-60 more cigars per

tray.(12.5 x 7.5 x 2.25)

Cheap Tray Set Up(CheapHumidor.com)

http://imagestore.puff.com/2011/08/20/p_3348390_0.jpg

http://imagestore.puff.com/2011/08/25/p_3355313_2.jpg

Beads

RoasterDude (He is a member at Cigarbid. Just shoot him a message. He sells or trades 65% beads.)

If you can get RoasterDude to seam the beads for you already, it is most certainly worth the price.

TUBES are worthless in my mind. Every time you move the Heartfelt TUBEs, bead residue gets

everywhere.(If your just going to place it and never touch it, then this

will work for you) The 2 trays are nice, but some of the beads started

to crack after just 1 spray. Overall I learned my lesson.

Maintenance

Depending where you live, I keep both of mine running at all times at 65 and have

no problem with Humidity. I have 5lbs of beads and show very little

loss when opening and closing the door. Basically there is very low

maintenance.

I'm Green with envy. That set up is outstanding!!! You must just smile everytime you look at your winadore. Doesn't matter if full or empty, though at 75-100 sticks per tray, full it would be #@!$% awsome.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, just a really quick question, is it not recommend to have a separate internal fan in constantly so that humidity is regulated? humidity is dense and does fall to the bottom. if someone can assist...I was thinking to start my own wineador project :) cheers