Humidor working too well

Isotonic

Hi anyone,

Wanting to get some feedback and advice on a minor humidor issue I am having. My relatively new Cuban Crafters desktop humidor is working a little too well. I am based in Melbourne so it hardly has any natural humidity to contend with. I had to take the humidor-supplied humidifier out of the humidor. Currently I have it sitting 18 degrees and at 73% RH. It's been like this for a few weeks now. I was really hoping to have the humidity at around 66-68% for ageing.

So obviously I have a humidor producing humidity with no humidifier in it. Thoughts on how to correct would be really appreciated. Is it just a matter of leaving it and placing the humidifier back in once, if ever, the humidity drops.

Thanks

Dry beads are your friend! Make the switch IMO...

Your cigars or the wood in your humidor are too humid. You need a medium that can remove excess humidity. Under 65 is where you want to be. I like mine in the low 60s.

Good luck!

I'd head over to Bunnings or Big W to get some DampRid. Put it in your humidor and monitor the humidity from there. I'd also calibrate your hygrometer before you start so at least you know the accuracy.

But in the long-term, beads are the most convenient and dependable option although there will be a start-up cost to it.

Thanks for the feedback people. I am almost certain it's the cedar. I think the humidor is overcharged. I have since ordered a medium 65% hearfelt humidity bead tube. Anyone got any reprts on these? Hopefully that solves the issue.

Got 2 of those medium (I think) tubes in my desktop. They do what they say. My problem however is not enough humidity. I use two of those to keep it from exceeding 65 and a gel crystal round hgumidifier to add to it.. Filling it once every couple weeks. The humidor is clearly not the greatest.

if you have kids, throw a clean diaper in there for a couple of days!

First mate... you don't have a humidor that is producing humidity!

There exists a principle call equilibrium relative humidity (ERH). ERH states that hygroscopic contents within your sealed container will come to the same water activity level (Av). As my friend Keith mentioned, you have too much water in your humidor.

Depending on size and depending on what is saturated, or determining a humidity delta on your cigars verses your humidor would be the first step.

I would remove your cigars to an airtight container, such as a piece of tupperware, or similar. I would take your hygrometer and check the cigars alone and see where they are at. If the cigars are fully saturated at the level of excessive level, you have a lot of work (potentially) ahead of you. If not... keep them in the dry box until you solve your problem.

Now test the humidor. Is there a difference in the reading?

Knowing what to dry is part of the drying process.

Buying a desiccant at 65rH is not going to do you much good. Did you think about asking the seller how much free water could be adsorbed by the desiccant pack you just bought? Probably not! I am afraid that 4 oz. of a previously saturated desiccant (say at 65rH at 70dF) is not going to pick up a whole hellofa lot of water from here.

I am not going to do the math, but, what.. 5 to 10 mL of water going to make your new beads 75 rH too?

This is a problem with those pitching beads as a fix all. They are not. They are a simple hygroscopic mechanism for aiding in the use of cigar ERH or as I refer to them, as a buffer.

Tell me what happens in the experiment as described above, if you want to take the trouble and I will try to help you from there.

Cheers. -the Pig

• 2 weeks later...

I'll take part in this experiment and I'm keen to hear the end results.

My humidor all of a sudden has crept up in the last week or so from 65 to 73.

Something in the Melbourne air tongue.png

I'm going to admit to my ignorance and stupidity here....... I'm used to doing it.

I had no idea about high humidity levels when it's cold, I've always known that you can feel a hot sticky humid day during a Melbourne summer but in the winter? Never noticed it, never thought of it.

I've been keeping my humidor open and the 65% tube of beads outside of it to try to "dry things out".

All the while allowing my cigars and beads to soak up the 70-80% RH that we've been having lately.

I thought my digital hygrometer was broken, turns out it was just me noggin

Something in the Melbourne air tongue.png

Ha!

As an experiment, I dried my beads out in the oven and put the full tube of dry beads back in the humidor and watch it for a few days, was sitting around 71% RH, we'll see.

Not sure if this is the correct scientific approach but it's all good fun if you ask me