La Corona Factory Cigar Factory Questions

Here is an article in CA about the start to finish experience about cigar production in the La Corona Cigar Factory in Havana.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/16780

It mentions that it produces smokes for Romeo y Julieta, Hoyo de Monterrey, Cuaba, Por Larrañaga, Saint Luis Rey, San Cristóbal de la Habana, and some Montecristos. It also mentions

1. Does that mean all SLR, all PL, all RyJ are made here or just some of the different sizes? I thought I read somewhere multiple factories make multiple sizes for the same brand? I may be incorrect. So I assume if all PLPC are made here for example, there is no other factories making them on the island as well, correct?

Just curious :)

Thanks in advance,

Bart

I doubt it: I saw MLO and OSR during the same quarter, immediately followed by AME…

So that being said, how do you get all 3 factories on the same page with the blend on a consistent basis? I am sure they have done this long enough that they must know whether the blend is on or off that day :)

• 3 weeks later...

Bart, yes, it's a variance at all factories. They do their best to make the blends the same at all (the same lot codes for tobacco bundles being used at the same time at the different factories, etc.). But, there's an obvious variance, just due to the logistics of many locations. And yes, it depends on the cigars - yeah, Monte 2's are rolled everywhere nearly, but HdM Epi 2's while be rolled here and only a few other spots. It just depends on production demands.

When I went through that factory in April 2008, they were even actually rolling CoRo's there at that time.

So it just depends on production needs.

And Orion, about that seco bundle. Yeah, a few of us were discussing that a bit ago, after recent trips, about the age on tobacco stocks right now (there's a thread on that around here somewhere). The average age on the bundles now is definitely ramped up that much more, and their available stock is epic right now. For the last few years, it's been increasing and increasing, and getting better and better. Cigars produced over the next two to four years look to have the capability, just based on the existing tobacco stocks, to be truely stellar cigars.