Water problem in the wineador

nikesupremedunk

I've had my wineador for a few weeks now and I'm still having a hard time keeping a steady RH. Part of the reason I realized was that I never plugged the drain so the humidity kept escaping. However, after I plugged the drain, now I'm getting a bigger problem. Water keeps building up where I blocked off the drain and eventually starts pooling on the bottom of the wineador. I have a tray of clear KL on the bottom and one on top. What should I do to prevent the water from pooling on the bottom? Should I just lay out a paper towel and put the beads directly on top of it on the bottom so they'll absorb all the water? Either that or I was thinking of making a little tray from aluminum foil and put some KL in it and place it where the water starts building up right underneath the fan.

Anyone have a same problem with their wineador?

• Thanks 1

The bigger the difference between the fridge internal temp and the fridge external temp - the more it will condensate.

Raising the temp so it's about 70 inside the fridge.... Or lowering the surrounding room temp will reduce condensation.

Store the fridge in coolest part of your house will help.

unfortunately i don't have any other place to store the fridge and my room gets to about 96 degrees in the summer time. the fridge can't even get down to the 64 degrees that i set it to.

i actually figured out a way to get around the pooling problem. i channeled the water build up under the fan by laying down aluminum foil and making a slide that will drip the water into the tray of KL i have on the bottom of the wineador. now i have no more pooling on the bottom and the RH seems to be right around 63-66 now. :spotlight:

so if anyone is having the same problem, just channel the water into the tray of beads/KL and your problems will be solved!

Be careful....your rh will go through the roof if your room cools downmarket or your fridge temp rises..

That water that is pooling is condensate.... That condensate is formed when liquefying the air in the fridge internal environment.

The fridge will not condensate when the environment doesn't require it to.... That will lead to moisture being suspended in the air environment.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone else does this but I keep my wine fridge in my basement (which is finished and very cool, and simply keep the fridge unplugged. We do not plug in our box humidors so I treat mine just like a giant one of those.

Lisa

I would also check the seal on the unit. The one time I've had a problem with water pooling in mine I found the small nail from one of my boxes stuck to the seal which created a gap. As soon as I removed the nail my condensation problem went away.

I don't know if anyone else does this but I keep my wine fridge in my basement (which is finished and very cool, and simply keep the fridge unplugged. We do not plug in our box humidors so I treat mine just like a giant one of those.

Lisa

Yea,

but his location is hot as hell.. he needs something to cool it down. Or Atleast that's what I read in another post..

What Piggy said. Cigars are not as fragile as folks think. Just set the temp for 75. Monitor the RH from inside a box. Wine fridges cannot buffer humidity as efficiently as a true cabinet humidor. Ive stored my cigars in the 70s for over 12 years. My cigars are not ridden with beetles or expired.

Stop trying to store your cigars at 64 DF.

Move your temp up to 75 DF. Abandon your hope of stable humidity in your humidor. The best you can hope for is an average, while keeping your temperature stable. Put all your cigars in boxes and data log the inside box environment to see where you are heading.

Trying to overcome a 30 DF delta is likely too much for your equipment, most of these humidors can't handle anything above a 15 DF delta. Welcome to psychrometrics 101.

Thanks folks.

The only problem with that is the cooler goes to 64 highest. My room is not always 90 degrees...only on the very hot days of summer. Also I turn the AC on when i get home so it's only very hot for a few hours of the day in the summer. I wish I had a basement or even lived on the first floor to keep my house/ambient temp down. I live on the third and top floor of a family house so my room is the only place I can store it. I'll just have to keep tinkering around with it..

Thanks folks.

The only problem with that is the cooler goes to 64 highest. My room is not always 90 degrees...only on the very hot days of summer. Also I turn the AC on when i get home so it's only very hot for a few hours of the day in the summer. I wish I had a basement or even lived on the first floor to keep my house/ambient temp down. I live on the third and top floor of a family house so my room is the only place I can store it. I'll just have to keep tinkering around with it..

Have you considered getting a window unit A/C I know its a bit tacky, but to have those high temps plus humidity I fear one day you are gonna open that Wineador and get the worst smell you've smelled off a cigar(mold).. Also I think wine coolers they're only capable of cooling 10-20 degrees cooler than ambient temperature(without modification) but then you'll also run into a issue with condensation<<which is what you're experiencing if there's too much of a difference between room and cooler.

Many of people say cigars aren't sensitive, but I treat mine as I would a pet. And you wouldn't lock Fido in a 90 degree room inside a box I'm sure.

Forgot to mention.. I live in AZ my Hygrometers read 63/63 with minimal fluctuations..Except When i open it the Rh drops 2% and temp ups about 3 degrees then returns back within 30mins or so.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to revive an oldish thread,but here's what I do about the water pooling in my wineador.

Shallow tupperware with a large surface area to make it easier for water vapour to rise back into the environment. I also have a fan under the bottom shelf blowing down onto the water and another fan pushing the air upwards to the top of the humi. It's pretty stable at mid 60s%.

I empty the tupperware whenever necessary, so far it's about every 4 months, and even then it's only about half full.

Wineador-04.jpg

Wineador-07.jpg

Wineador-12.jpg

• Like 1