Finding an old cigar factory in Havana

Amongst the old books and magazines you’ll find for sale in Old Havana’s Plaza das Armas, many of the stalls also sell cigar bands and labels. I was excited to find, at numerous spots, the label for “El Dinamico” cigars, with the coy face of Joaquin Cuesta chomping on one of his stogies. I recognized him from Stephen McGinty’s “Churchill’s Cigar”, an excellent little biography of the famous Englishman from the point of view of his love affair with cigars [introduced to me by our very own Nino]. Cuesta’s factory had supplied Churchill with cigars for years before the Revolution. I felt like I was holding a very special piece of Cuban cigar history.

post-8479-0-98220000-1338947620.jpg

Then I noticed the address on the bottom of the label: Animas 59. The spot is easy to find, just over from the Prado, north of Parque Central, and right next to Sloppy Joe’s, which is currently being restored.

post-8479-0-53280800-1338947646.jpg

I was taking photos of the entrance when a current tenant, Fernando, encouraged me to have a look in the foyer. The building is now filled with apartments but Fernando knew that the first floor had once been a cigar factory. What he didn’t know, and I suspect many, many tourists don’t either, is that some of the cigars enjoyed by Winston Churchill were rolled on this spot.

For more photos, please visit my blog: http://lostincuba.tumblr.com/