Fohibas and tobacco beetles

Jnaube

Hi all!

Well, I just spent the last week freezing my cigars after a bad case of tobacco beetle epidemy in one of my humidors. In ten years, i've never had to deal with something like that. Friends of mine went to mexico and asked me if i wanted cigars. I answered : yes, but only cubans. A week later, they bring me this glass top box of 5 fohiba esplendidos.

Anyway, i said thanks and threw three out of five to trash immediately telling myself, i'm gonna keep two to show my friends what fohibas looked like.

I had at that time a half full humi filled with hoyo's double coronas, partagas lusitanias, p2's ans e2's. The top tray was empty so i left the fake cigars there for two weeks.

Last monday, i opened the humi and the two fohibas were drilled of many tobacco beetle holes. I lifted the tray and found 2 or 3 beetles in the humi but no holes in my cubans.

I froze everything and, lucky me, i lost nothing. Note to all of you afficionados. NEVER EVER make the mistake i made. If you get fohibas, throw them all to trash, that way, you wont endanger your precious puros.

If you ever get tobacco beetel in one of your humis, empty everything, check all your cigars for holes, throw every damage cigars away.

Pack your cigars in ziploc bags, freeze them for three days, 36 hours maximum freeze and 36 hours half the cold. Transfer them next in your refirgerator for a day and then, leave them room temperature or another.

If you follow these steps (and keep the humidity level ok) you should be fine.

To this day, i own more than four hundred cubans. Lucky for me, worst case scenario never happened. Thought it would be gret to share tat story with you guys.

I freeze everything, regardless of pedigree or provenance. Any gifted cigars go into a single bag or 5 finger bag. Can't risk any contamination.

My worst nightmare is going into one of my storage containers to see a pile of tobacco dust. I am so scared that every quarter, I go through each bin and check for beetles. One can never be too careful.

They don't just come from "Fauxhibas"...I've suffered Lasiodera Serricorne (not spelled right I'm sure) from badly humidified locations I've purchased NC's and other smokes; also probable mistakes I've made during my years of cigar purchases, and so on. This is just to say that the dreaded tobacco beetle can occur anywhere.

I freeze everything, regardless of pedigree or provenance. Any gifted cigars go into a single bag or 5 finger bag. Can't risk any contamination.

My worst nightmare is going into one of my storage containers to see a pile of tobacco dust. I am so scared that every quarter, I go through each bin and check for beetles. One can never be too careful.

Nearly identical here.