Seasoning Question

CanadianKodiak

I just picked up a 100 count humidor but currently don't have enough sticks to really put in it. Mostly because I'm leaving the country for 3-4 weeks on vacation. However, I'm hoping to start the seasoning process before I leave so I can throw a box or teo in it as soon as I get back.

Is it OK for me to put , say, a half cup of distilled water in my humi before I leave so it'll be good to go when I get back? What're your suggestions?

Thanks folks :)

Yea that sounds perfect giving your humi that long to absorve the water into the ceder is how your supossed to do it - Do Not Wipe It Down usually ppl dot have the patients to wait 2-3 weeks for there humi to season so they wipe it down but your in luck because you have the time. :thumbsup: 100 count humi should take awhile to correctly absorb the water into the ceder IMO 3-4 should be fine just don't over fill the cup make sure by the second week all there should be very little water.

Also I would recommend that you put in a crystal humidification device (but don't fill it with water keep it dry so the crystals absorb the access moisture that's left over)

When you come back might have some tinkering to get the humidity down to 65% but should be fine.

(Only problem that can arise is if the water runs out but don't think that will be a problem)

Good Luck :spotlight:

Great. Thanks for the response and the helpful information Jason. I haven't even left for vacation yet and I'm already looking forward to coming back and loading up my humidor with a few boxes of Cubans.

Do Not Wipe It Down

Why is that? I've always seasoned my humidors by wiping them down with a damp cloth (distilled water, of course), then left it for a few days before adding cigars. Have not had any problems.

Wiping it down is just not worth it if you do wipe it down, one of two things can occur - you can do it correctly and you save a mere 2 days of waiting; do it incorrectly or use too much water, and the wood can warp and bend, messing up your humidor and making it less effective holding a seal. So why take the risk? With shot glass method at lest you know water is being absorbed uniformly on all the ceder pieces.