Tough Duty

Sometimes when a customer asks me for a recommendation and while giving it I tell them that I have smoked out of every box on our shelves, I get an odd look (although not the same kinda look I get from my wife for doing so...).

There are days that are glorious and days that suck. 80% of our inventory is CC's and of the remaining 20% that is mainly Mexican and Dominican, the Dominicans don't move much. This means that more than 80% of my off-shelf based smoking are CC's.

We needed a maduro at a cheaper price point on the shelf and our Mexican cigar distributor had a new line, so we took two boxes of.....wait for it....A Turrent Triple Play Puro Maduro, in two vitolas.

While I always keep an open mind before lighting up, this cigar reminded me why I shouldn't.

These Honduran maduros were just awful. Well constructed yet wind tunnels, acidic and bitter, harsh and over powered/under flavored. Tossed it before mid smoke.

My work there was done so I pulled out a RASS to change my luck.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.c...1753,-87.070566

Those are options but very expensive to get down here. We have some Fuentes on the shelf but they don't sell well as we have to price them comparable to or above CC's based on their wholesale cost.

We are mostly a CC shop. All else is just NC window dressing.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631729,-87.070605

LGC Series R.. Cheap and a good smoke.

Lisa

agreed. For an NC it's not bad. Another 2 maduros I enjoy are the Padron maduro line and the oliva o maduro. My favorite sizes are the Londres and the 2000. Just not sure what the costs for those would be where you are. Both have more of a cacao/espresso taste instead of tasting like dirt which has been my experience with many other maduros. Part of the reason I mostly stick to CC now...

Anyone tried the EP Carillo Maduros? New cigars he just came out with last fall. Absolutely delicious. Pure, chocolate goodness. First time I ever really got that from a cigar. Carillo's are probably one of my favorite NCs. Have signed boxes of his first two limited editions. The 2009 is one of my favorites. Ernesto knows how to blend tobaccos.

Bleh. Another reason why the only NC's that I've found that I enjoy are the Padron 1926 and 1964 lines. At least those have some depth to them.

I've had a couple of each of those and they are quite good too. Same with the oliva v maduro. Reason I didn't mention them is that their pricing here is comparable to high-end Cubans so they wouldn't be considered affordable at all.