Wrapper variations

I know wrappers vary from box to box. I guess my question is if the lighter wrappers on the boli's are good or if I should seek out the darker oily ones. The dark wrapper is from 2010 and the light one is 2011. I have not touched one out of the cab of light wrappers yet. Thanks for your opinions.

46b87fc7-7952-c225.jpg

post-9778-13294943700569.jpg

Doesn't look like that much of a shade difference to me. Mind you, it could just be the pictures.

I personally agree with the general industry comments - that the wrapper only accounts for about 7-10% of the overall flavour (but up to 20% with the maduro wrappers). That said, the wrappers and their condition are definitely an overall indicator of the potential quality of the leaves used within the cigar. What I mean by that is that I feel that if the wrapper quality is top notch, then it could be presumed that the overall quality of the tobacco that the factory was using at that time was likely pretty good. A huge presumption? Maybe. But that's why its the other factors that then come into play - the oils, the aromas, the weight and feel of the cigar, etc., etc. And certain cigars I actually like with lighter wrappers. The only ones I'm "dark & oily" demanding with are Monte, RA, Partagas, and Dip. Other stuff like Cohiba, Trinidad, LGC, H. Upmann, all sometimes work better with lighter wrappers.

I'd say if all things are equal with aromas and whatnot, that slight shade variance shouldn't make a difference. Smoke one of each and then go from there.

I know, some veteran smokers are very intense about their preferred wrapper shade.

I personally would not worry about the lighter wrapper - some of the best leaves can be claro shade.

You might want to watch the video with Hamlet Paredes - he comments on that too...

Cheers!

I'm working on two boxes of Upmann #2s at the moment (the only type that I have multipe boxes of at the moment). The first box I got has fairly darkish wrappers (what I'd consider to be close to a sungrown shade were it a NC) and the second box has much lighter wrappers (similar to a NC Connecticut shade). They taste essentially the same - a slight variance in favor of the darker wrappers, but I presumed that's because it's an older box. Really, though, I'd say their tastes are much closer to one another than their much different wrappers would suggest.

Not sure if that translates to the BBFs since I only have one box of those at the moment.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

In the CAO seed to soul DVD you can see an obvious difference in the wrappers while they sort the rolled cigars. They are the exact same cigars but look different on the table. So the lady in the video sorts them by closest to each other in color and boxes them up.

Just how the leaf ferments and changes color. This has been discussed many times all over. Really it should not affect the flavor unless you mentally tell yourself it will.

It is more a question of which you yourself find more pleasant. I have never noticed any difference between the same cigar at the same age with two different colours of wrapper.

I've had all sorts, but there's something very alluring to me about a nice dark oily wrapper, though at the same time some of the best cigars I've had lately have had lighter wrappers... the BHK line is a perfect example.

I have found over the years that the darker wrappers tend to also be thicker and really negatively effect the overall blend integrity. IMO there are very few EL's that I've enjoyed or felt that the thicker darker wrapper enhanced the blend. I always seek out the lighter colored and almost always thinner wrappers across every marca. Dark and oily does nothing for me. Tiger stripes on the other hand...those are to be sought after. As for % of taste influence, I've smoked on many occasions two of the same cigars side by side one dark and one light wrappers from the same box code and its very apparent- probably 50%. Certainly a substantially larger % than what the wrapper accounts for as leaf in the overall cigar

Your lips, or if you smoke your cigars like Rob then your mouth, only come in contact with the wrapper. Like the thin layer of chocolate on a candy bar. In my assumption, the wrapper handles the overall perceived flavor in a delicate manner. Darker the leaf, the more ripe it becomes. Opposite for a lighter shade wrapper. I think of it like fruit, ripe or not the taste can be very different.

Which delivers more value to you is individual to you. All part of the ride =)

Thanks for all the input. Took it upon myself to smoke one of each today. Dark and oily had more flavor coming through. Light wrapper not as complex. Both good cigars and positive the lighter wrapper had less to offer due to its age. Think they will be fine down the road. Only been smoking CC's for a year now so still on the learning curve. I know wrapper variations (maduro, conn, ect) in NC's is a huge difference and can change the flavors a complete 180 degrees like in the Tat 7th series. Was just wondering how it related to CC's since it's essentially the same tobacco, just different color.

This is a topic that can be very debatable. Although there are many other considerations when dealing with flavor. I'll link a good video Rob and Smithy did comparing Monte 2's from different years. The raw materials, well the percentages used, were different and so were the flavors.

Monte 2 Comparison

Another read if you have not already seen, MVP, Rob did a wrapper change on a Siglo VI and Cohiba Maduro.

Siglo VI and Maduro Wrapper Change

If nothing else, it's good food for thought :peace:

In my experience, the EL Maduro wrappers generally burn like crap. The seem to be thicker wrappers and almost fireproof.

Though on standard release cigars, I have equal success (enjoyment) with both darker and lighter shades.

Also, an an observation, have you noticed that Czars PSP designated cigars are almost always darker shades. I cant remember the last PSP box that had light shaded wrappers. Right or wrong, I think that as cigar smokers - we generally associate darker as better.

Depends on the cigar... If you're looking for heavy and spicy go maduro, looking for detail in taste go for colorado. Ie. some scream for maduro (Punch SS#1, RASS, RASCC, Party P2), others for colorado (Hoyo series, LGC series, QdO, Monty #2) - personal taste that is.

In general I'm very much for oily colorado...