Bolivar Royal Corona

Blog Lik

Bolivar Royal Corona – 16-Feb-2012

Box Date: Feb 09

Initial thoughts: Hopefully this is a story about the little ugly cigar that could. This was one of two sticks left out of an early 2009 box. Not only was it very rustic in appearance, it had been handled by customers for quite some time and was showing some signs of wear and tear. So, I decided to rescue it. As stated, appearance was rustic at best. Pre-light draw was a bit easy, but not loose, and the aromas at cold were a very earthy strong tobacco character.

Opening: Just after lighting, draw remained a bit easy, but no wind tunnel. Deep earthy tobacco flavors remained, with an ever so slight nuttiness.

First third: This cigar is lacking an oiliness that I expected. Almost a barnyard character is now present. Mouth feel or finish is very short, I suspect because there is no creaminess or oiliness on the palate after the draw. Cigar is medium or slightly below at this point.

Second third: The only real good news here is that the draw tightened up somewhat close to spot on. It is burning relatively evenly, no real touch ups needed yet. The cigar is still lacking a creamy or oily character which I am definitely missing. It’s almost like a dryish hay finish.

Final third: Not sure if my palate was holding it back or the cigar was holding itself back, but a slight oiliness is finally coming on. Flavors remain very earthy at this point. Cigar is finishing at medium plus but nothing more.

Final thoughts: Pretty much blah. Smoked the cigar down to the band, but was not compelled to nub this one. Not the best indication of this marca’s strength.

THE GOOD NEWS IS THE EVENING CLOSED OFF WITH TWO MUCH BETTER NOTES. (1) A VERY GOOD BUT YOUNG HOYO DE MONTERREY EPICURE #2 AND THEN MIKE (MADANDANA) DROPPED BY THE STORE AND GIFTED ME A MAGNUM 50 TUBO, AND I IN RETURN GIFTED HIM AN 08 SLR DC. THANKS!

post-9066-0-20168700-1329455214.jpg

post-9066-0-70652000-1329455226.jpg

post-9066-0-80001500-1329455237.jpg

post-9066-0-38203300-1329455463.jpg

post-9066-0-48877200-1329455475.jpg

Possible. They didn't appear dry but this was stock I took over from my brother in law and although I trust my humidor conditions (and regularly QC the stock) its possible this was dried out some time ago and lost some of its essential oils and although rehydrated in the humidor still lacked the oils and therefore was really dry. The gash was unfortunately inflicted by me by mistake.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631730,-87.070736

I've smoked dozens of the Bolivar RCs & I will say they are consistently good. Do I search for "Oilyness" in them? No, I think that is a poor trait to look for in such a fine cigar that exhibits honest notes of coffee, earth & wood. These are a great cigar & smoke very well even in 2010 & 2011 boxes. You missed something there methinks.

Not the best indication of this marca’s strength.
Bolivar is not about "strength", it is about finesse. Not Cohiba finesse but a journey on it's own. :)

I've smoked dozens of the Bolivar RCs & I will say they are consistently good. Do I search for "Oilyness" in them? No, I think that is a poor trait to look for in such a fine cigar that exhibits honest notes of coffee, earth & wood. These are a great cigar & smoke very well even in 2010 & 2011 boxes. You missed something there methinks.

Bolivar is not about "strength", it is about finesse. Not Cohiba finesse but a journey on it's own. :)

Very much agree. The Boli RC is one of my favorite Robustos (up there with the RASS IMO). Only time I've ever had a bad one was when I bought a box of 10 in tubes. After having one that was horrible, I took them out of the tubes and stored for about 8 months in my singles drawer. Tried one again and it was incredible. Always have a number of these in my humidor for go-to sticks that don't let me down.

Sorry to hear about your tough luck on that BRC. They are one of my favourite Robusto sized sticks. I always have a box I'm smoking from and another one aging. I have found them to be very consistent and have never had a dud from any of the boxes I've smoked from.

Well I am certainly not above missing something. I did have a spicy dinner but that was 1 hour before. I paired with water so I don't think external forces were to blame. Coulda been a dud. Same box code as dbone LRE and Feb 09. BRCs aren't my top Robusto but I love the bolivar marca. Coulda been me r as shlomo put it, it coulda been a bit dry. On to the next one.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631633,-87.070715

I had a box of Bolivar RC box code TEB MAY08 awhile back from rob. The first 6 months they were nothing special. But after that I couldnt leave them alone.

Very rich creamy taste, good looking cigars. Been meaning to buy another box although funds are restictive atm :(

Thanks for the review, great pics

Sharks

I agree Rushman. I've had the same experience with BRC's in general. There is a dry, dull finish that could be attributed to a lack of oils and the draw is too open (under filled). This is consistent with the two boxes, 08-09, in my humidor.

I'm a big Boli fan with the exception being the RC. They have a much lighter profile. My thoughts were that S.A. was more interested in competing with the other Robustos on the market than being consistent with the marc. I don't know if age improve them. Any thoughts?

I agree Rushman. I've had the same experience with BRC's in general. There is a dry, dull finish that could be attributed to a lack of oils and the draw is too open (under filled). This is consistent with the two boxes, 08-09, in my humidor.

I'm a big Boli fan with the exception being the RC. They have a much lighter profile. My thoughts were that S.A. was more interested in competing with the other Robustos on the market than being consistent with the marc. I don't know if age improve them. Any thoughts?

I agree. Just put another box of BBF in the shop and have a bunch left from two boxes of BCG I purchased. Those are my go to Bolivars.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=20.631789,-87.070807

I've never had a good Boli rc :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to sound like the old guy on the stoop, but these have fallen off a cliff since the early oughts. Used to love them, but now wouldn't think of buying them given what else is available. Glad some of you guys are enjoying them, though.