FORMULA 1 - 2012

Ferrari switch for Vettel would be absurd says Mateschitz

108112647KR042_F1_Testing_i-340x230.jpg

Reports that Sebastian Vettel is considering a switch to Ferrari sometime soon are “nonsense”, claims Dietrich Mateschitz, the reclusive billionaire owner of the energy drinks company Red Bull.

He was speaking to the Austrian newspaper Kleine Zeitung after German Vettel on Sunday won his third consecutive drivers’ world championship with Red Bull.

Mateschitz said: “Every driver wants to go to Ferrari one day, but for the moment [for Vettel] it is complete nonsense.

“While Fernando Alonso is there, it is absurd to think [that] Vettel would go there too.”

Vettel said on Sunday that his current contract with Red Bull runs to the end of 2014.

“At the moment, I don’t see any point thinking about another team or something else. I’m extremely happy in the position I am,” said the German driver.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Vettel looks as though he overtook under a yellow. Will he keep the championship or will the 20 second penalty give the championship to Alonso?

We'll find out by Friday !

Current BBC F1 headlines. Typical Ferrari sour grapes but rules are rules.

Current BBC F1 headlines. Typical Ferrari sour grapes but rules are rules.

Well lets be honest. This is a BIG deal if Vettel did the wrong thing and despite this, I'd imagine Alonso would feel aprehensive to take the WDC under these circumstances. This would be a Ferrari led decision vs Alonso complaining.

But I hope Alonso wins the WDC! ;)

Great season, best one in recent memory

Thoughts:

Alonso is the best driver in F1

Webber cant get off the starting line to save his life

Texas race was the coolest new track and shows promise for years to come, glad they are back in the US

NJ race should be cool next year

Vettel is tough, many times in back of the pack to only finish on the podium charging through the riff raff

Lewis will struggle next year

Massa second half saved his butt @ Ferrari

NBC coverage should be interesting, lets hope they hire the Speed tv crew

WILLIAMS DROPS SENNA - BOTTAS GET HIS CHANCE:

Screen-Shot-2012-11-28-at-11.33.12.png

Williams F1 Team today confirmed the line-up for 2013 which had been suspected for some time – Pastor Maldonado and Valtteri Bottas.

The promotion to a race seat of the 23 year old Finn, a protege of Williams’ shareholder Toto Wolff, is an exciting step for F1, as he has impressed with his Friday morning test performances at Grands Prix this year.

He won the GP3 championship in 2011 and has been with Williams in a reserve driver capacity since 2010. Williams did a similar programme with Nico Hulkenberg, giving him several years as an apprentice with the team before he got his race opportunity in 2010.

Despite a pole position in Brazil that year he was dropped in favour of Maldonado, for largely commercial reasons. However Maldonado won the Spanish Grand Prix this year and has shown his speed in qualifying.

But inconsistency has dogged him with only two points finishes since that victory in Spain. If he can mature into a consistent performer with the pace he has, he can move up the driver rankings.

As a result Williams finished 8th in the Constructors’ Championship in what was arguably one of the top five cars this year, as Sir Frank Williams acknowledged,

“The FW34 was a strong car and on the whole we feel that we should have done better with the equipment we had,” he said. “Our long run pace was consistently strong and whilst we need to improve on our qualifying pace, at certain tracks we did manage to give the top teams a run for their money over a single lap.”

The new technical team of Mike Coughlan in charge of design and Mark Gillan in charge of operations, seems to have gelled quickly and there is no reason why Williams shouldn’t have just as good a car in 2013, with no major rule change. It is up to teams like Mercedes and Force India to out develop them over the winter.

In hiring a rookie, they are taking a gamble on their constructors’ championship position again, the key will be securing results quickly and regularly, but Bottas’ pedigree indicates that he should get up to speed and won’t do anything silly.

The move leaves no space for Bruno Senna, who leaves the team after just one season. His best chance of a seat in 2013 now lies with the Caterham team, as team-mate to Charles Pic.

Senna brings a budget of around €10 million and the deal was said to be close in Brazil, but with Caterham securing 10th place in the Constructors’ Championship for a third season, with a substantial financial bonus as a result, the next weeks and days will be key to deciding which direction they go on drivers.

Bottas said, “It feels incredible to be driving in Formula One next season and to be with a team like Williams, with all its pedigree, is even more special. I’ve worked hard to get here ever since I started karting at six years old, but the real work starts now as I prepare myself for the biggest challenge of my career. The fact that I’ve been with Williams since 2010 will help a lot though because I know the engineers really well and have a good working relationship with them.

“There are only a handful of circuits on the 2013 calendar that I have never driven, in Australia, Monaco, Valencia, Austin and Singapore. There will still be a lot of work to do but it means that I do have some knowledge to work from heading to most races next season.

WILL THE FIA REVIEW VETTEL CHAMPIONSHIP RESULT IN LIGHT OF VIDEO EVIDENCE?

RedBullRacingDefault.jpg

For the past few days there has been some debate – on this site and others – as to whether the FIA should review the result of the Brazilian Grand Prix and with it the world championship, as there is video evidence suggesting that Sebastian Vettel made a pass under yellow flags three laps into the race.

An on-board video clip presented on one of the Sky subscription channels and reposted on You Tube by a fan, shows Vettel passing Jean-Eric Vergne on the Reta Oposta straight before Turn 4, while yellow lights are still visible on his dashboard and he had recently passed a yellow light on the outside of the straight.

There have been extensive analyses of the video and it looks pretty clear cut.

It all happens very quickly and through a camera lens which is spotted with rain.

However, it’s not quite as clear as it appears to be.

An examination of the on-board video in slow motion, appears to show that Vettel passes a flag marshal’s post-tower on the left before he passes Vergne and a marshal can be seen on the tower, waving a green flag, meaning that the danger zone is ended.

Still images looking back up the straight also appear to show the green flag in the distance.

So there appears to be some confusion over signalling; the lights and the flag do not synchronise.

If the FIA decides to re-open the case – and they can without Ferrari or anyone else being required to protest – this confusion over signalling (flags versus lights) might form the basis of Red Bull’s defence, along with a telemetry throttle analysis which would probably show that Vergne backed off on the straight, as he certainly appears to do, which causes Vettel to pass.

The issue is important, because the FIA Sporting Code calls for the Race Stewards to re-open any matter arising in the race if new evidence comes to light. In this case, were they to find beyond doubt that Vettel had made a pass under yellows, he would have 20 seconds added to his race time and that would cost him positions and ultimately the world championship.

Had it been judged an offence at the time and he had been given a drive through penalty, this would have occurred before the Safety Car, so his 20 seconds penalty and resulting lost places would be academic. But as that did not happen, all the stewards would be able to do would be to retrospectively, is to add the time penalty.

As several days have elapsed since the race, this would generate headlines around the world and would reflect very badly on the FIA’s policing of F1.

Ferrari are known to have studied it and the FIA are looking at it internally today.

Here is a slow-mo of the Sky on-board clip, with the marshal’s tower and flag visible at around 37 seconds. Judge for yourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku979qCzAWA

Here is a still from the reverse angle, although caution is required here, as it could have been doctored, unlike the video, which is as Sky broadcast it.

Screen-Shot-2012-11-28-at-23.25.05-300x177.png

Bruno Senna knew the axe was coming

en_2864729.jpg

Bruno Senna admits he knew Williams were going to replace him with Valtteri Bottas at the end of this season.

The Grove squad confirmed on Wednesday that Finn Bottas will partner Pastor Maldonado for the 2013 campaign with Senna left without a race seat.

The Brazilian, though, says he anticipated the move following the decision to hand Friday practice duties to the 23-year-old during 15 of the 20 races this year.

"Since the beginning of my program with Williams I accepted that I had to share the car with Valtteri Bottas in 15 Fridays as a part of his preparation for a likely debut in 2013," said Senna.

Although he finished 14 points behind Maldonado in the standings, Senna managed to pick up points in 10 of the 20 races while the Venezuelan finished in the top 10 on only five occasions.

"It has been extremely satisfying to be the team's most regular point scorer and for me to demonstrate my pace in all 20 races," he said.

"I have learned a lot and improved considerably through the season. I have had a relatively short career so far and feel as though I have come a long way in just a few years."

He added: "I would like to thank the whole team and particularly [team owner] Frank [Williams] for giving me the chance of completing my first full season in F1. It has been extremely rewarding to develop the Williams FW34 into a consistently competitive race car and cracking the challenge of the Pirelli tyres has been just one of the satisfying points."

Horner praises Schumacher 'gesture'

Sebastian-Vettel-Michael-Schumacher_2866674.jpg

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner believes Michael Schumacher "passed the baton" on to Sebastian Vettel when he allowed the Champion to pass him at Interlagos.

Although seventh place would have been good enough to help Vettel to secure his third consecutive title, Schumacher didn't put up a fight and moved over to allow his German compatriot to move up to sixth during the closing stages of the Brazilian GP.

Horner says Red Bull are grateful for the retiring seven-time World Champion's "gracious" gesture on Sunday.

"Michael very graciously gave him P6 and that was enough to convert his third consecutive World Championship," said Horner.

"Michael is renowned for being a tough racer. I think it was his gesture to Sebastian, almost like passing the baton on.

"I'm sure it was not particularly well received at his former employer [Ferrari] but I thought it was very magnanimous of Michael to move out of the way for his fellow countryman."

looks like they're going to challenge the decision....messy....lawyers etc...

What decision? And who's challenging it?

Sorry... didn't see the post re: the review above. Whatever... Ferrari are a bunch of whiny little babies. I'm sure they've been up FIA's bum ever since the race ended. Hardly seems like Vettel did anything wrong, but I suppose we'll see.

I think Ferrari has ever right to challenge if they feel a rule was violated but I also think that it would be wrong to change it after it was awarded. A challenge should have been done during the race or at the immediate conclusion. I wanted Alonso to win but not this way.

I think Ferrari has ever right to challenge if they feel a rule was violated but I also think that it would be wrong to change it after it was awarded. A challenge should have been done during the race or at the immediate conclusion. I wanted Alonso to win but not this way.

This

I think most teams would challenge this if the tables were turned as it is a fairly big deal.

In saying this however, I feel this is a Stewards decision which should be looked into and handled 'DURING' each race. This year already we saw several incidents which were handled after the race and this is frustrating. I can't imagine what the stewards are doing whilst the race is in progress?

The WDC should never be handled in this manner. Keep it on track.

THE FIA CONFIRMS THERE WILL BE NO ACTION TAKEN OVER SEBASTIAN VETTEL BRAZIL GP OVERTAKE:

Screen-Shot-2012-11-29-at-18.59.31.png

The FIA today confirmed that it plans to take no action over the incident in Sunday’s Brazilian Grand Prix in which Sebastian Vettel overtook Jean Eric Vergne, apparently under yellow flags.

Ferrari confirmed via Twitter that it had asked the question of the FIA, having reviewed the video evidence.

But a marshal waving a green flag could be seen, when the footage was viewed in slow motion, before Vettel made his move on Vergne and that satisfied the FIA’s Charlie Whiting that there was no case to answer.

Whiting told Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport, “If the lights are not installed at a flag post the driver responds to the first signal that is shown.

“In Vettel’s case, between the last yellow light and the green light there was a green flag being waved.

“The distance is 350 metres here. Vettel responded to the flag and did

everything right.”

Kobayashi now also touted as possible Grosjean replacement

dpl1207oc105-340x230.jpg

Kamui Kobayashi has entered the frame as a potential replacement for under fire Romain Grosjean at Lotus, according to Finland’s Turun Sanomat.

Earlier, the Finnish source MTV3 said Heikki Kovalainen – at risk of losing his Caterham seat – was now a candidate for Lotus, as the Enstone based team considers whether to keep Frenchman Grosjean on board.

Grosjean enjoys the support of team boss Eric Boullier and also the team’s important French backer Total, but it is believed the 26-year-old tumultuous 2012 season has sparked deliberations about whether he should keep the seat alongside Kimi Raikkonen.

Writing in Turun Sanomat, journalist Heikki Kulta said Lotus owner Gerard Lopez is wondering if having a more consistent driver alongside Raikkonen would be a wiser choice in terms of securing a more lucrative position in the constructors’ world championship.

“Kimi comes at a cost to us,” Lopez is quoted, “but on the other hand he helps us in the manufacturers’ standings, bringing even more money to the team.”

While Raikkonen scored 207 points this year, finishing third in the drivers’ table, Grosjean is just eighth, with 96.

Lotus finished fourth in the constructors’ title.

Kulta wrote that Japanese Kobayashi, who has been raising money via a support website to contribute to a 2013 employer, has entered the frame at Lotus after losing his Sauber seat to Esteban Gutierrez.

“It’s a shame for Romain, as not finishing his season in Brazil very well is a problem,” fellow Frenchman Alain Prost told RMC Sport.

“What’s more important, speed or reliability? That is what Lotus must decide,” he added.

Meanwhile, the much respected correspondent for Brazil’s O Estado de S.Paulo newspaper, Livio Oricchio, claims that Lotus is leaving open the second race seat for now amid its negotiations with potential team investors.

Oricchio said Lotus’ talks are with a group of investors involving none other than Bernie Ecclestone, who would promote a “very controversial” new team boss.

“Not Flavio Briatore,” Oricchio insisted.

Vettel says last races prove his critics wrong

d12bra2778-340x230.jpg

Newly crowned F1 World Champion Sebastian Vettel has hit back at critics who claim that the new triple title winner is not good at overtaking.

Some critics have said that the Red Bull driver is good at dominating grands prix from pole position, but usually falters when he needs to do some passing en route to the chequered flag.

But German Vettel thinks his races in Abu Dhabi, when he fought through the field from the pitlane to finish on the podium, and in Brazil where he won the title despite a first-lap spin, have proved the critics wrong.

“It’s actually a little funny to look back now at the guy who can’t overtake,” he is quoted as saying by Brazil’s Agencia Estado.

“Now, after just two races, people have to change their minds.”

Vettel admitted that the criticism bothered him particularly in 2011, when he won many races from pole.

“You start from a good position and yet you are criticised for that,” he said.

Four-time world champion Alain Prost says that Vettel deserves the 2012 title.

“He has the car, the team. He does what he needs to do,” the Frenchman told RMC Sport.

“He had a lot of luck, especially in Abu Dhabi and Brazil. He was a lucky champion. But that doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve it – far from it,” added Prost.

French GP return in 2013 impossible claims Prost

d12abu818-340x230.jpg

France’s most successful F1 driver Alain Prost has confirmed reports that the French GP will definitely not feature on Formula One’s 2013 calendar.

The reports had said that Paul Ricard and Magny Cours had both missed the deadline to apply to France’s sanctioning body, the FFSA, for a request to the FIA for a 2013 calendar change.

Asked about France’s chances of organising a 2013 race now, Prost – who has recently been working as an advisor to the Paul Ricard project – answered: “For 2013 it is impossible.

“The time is over. We will see what we can do for 2014. Now, it is technically impossible for 2013.”

Asked why the French revival efforts had failed for now, Prost told RMC Sport: “Two things. First, the real lack of desire [on the part] of Bernie Ecclestone to have another grand prix in Europe.

“And then, of course, financially.”

However, Paul Ricard boss Stephane Clair quickly contradicted Prost’s comments, telling RMC that he will meet with the quadruple world champion to discuss them on Friday.

Clair insisted that there is “no obligation” for a French GP project to have confirmation before December, and “no deadline” in place by Bernie Ecclestone.

Raikkonen to start holidays with snowmobile race

raikkonen-snow-mobile-340x230.jpg

Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen will kick off his winter break with some snowmobile racing.

Just after signing to return to F1 in 2012 with Lotus, the 2007 world champion hurt his wrist during a snowmobile racing crash in Austria.

Now, APA news agency reports that the 33-year-old Finn intends to race a 70 horse power snowmobile again, in Saalbach on 8 December.

At the 2012 season finale in Brazil last weekend, Raikkonen made headlines for arriving at Interlagos late following a holiday in Los Angeles.

He then missed a corner during the race and, upon driving into the support-race pitlane, had to do a u-turn when he found a gate blocking his path.

“I did the same thing in 2001, and the gate was open that year,” said Raikkonen. “Somebody closed it this time. Next year I’ll make sure it’s open again.”

Toto Wolff justifies axing Senna from Williams

d12chn738-340x230.jpg

Williams has dismissed suggestions that Bruno Senna’s departure from the team after only one year will hurt the British team’s coffers for 2013.

The Oxfordshire based team announced this week that it is replacing Brazilian Senna, who is significantly sponsored, with the rookie Finn Valtteri Bottas.

Bottas is linked managerially to Williams executive and shareholder Toto Wolff.

Asked if ousting Senna will hurt Williams financially, Wolff answered: “Finance plays an important role so for us it was important to have the best possible package, and we are happy Valtteri has partners who are committed to Formula One, and have followed him into F1.

“I’m happy to say that he is not only doing a great job on track but off it, as we have been quite successful in Finland [in] securing backing. It is not unsubstantial,” he is quoted by the Scotsman newspaper.

“So getting Valtteri on board is not a hara-kiri move from a commercial point of view.”

Bottas, 23, confirmed that he is backed by “some great Finnish companies”.

Williams’ decision has left Senna trying to sell his talent and backing to Force India, amid rumours that his sponsors are not interested in moving to backmarkers Marussia or Caterham.

“Bruno is a nice kid,” former F1 driver Jacques Laffite told Brazil’s Totalrace, “but F1 is very difficult and he has not done much this year compared to Maldonado.

“I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think he’ll continue in F1.”

Red Bull denies signing Vettel until end of 2016

141020561KR00135_F1_Grand_P1-340x230.jpg

World champions Red Bull have denied reports that they have extended Sebastian Vettel’s contract to include the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

The 2012 world champions have only just dealt with speculation they could soon lose the three-time consecutive title winner and German to Ferrari.

But the latest reports, in the pages of the Osterreich tabloid and citing Red Bull mogul Dietrich Mateschitz, say Vettel has been convinced to extend his current deal with a huge pay rise.

The report said Vettel’s current retainer of $14 million per season will increase to a whopping $36 million, adding that the contracts of chiefs Christian Horner and Adrian Newey have also been extended.

“Total nonsense!” Dr Helmut Marko told Germany’s Sport Bild on Wednesday. “I don’t even know the journalists who wrote it, or the news portal. Vettel’s contract is to 2014, full stop.”

Christian Horner predicts weaker McLaren without Hamilton

d11kor922-340x230.jpg

Christian Horner, team principal of triple Formula One Constructors’ Champions Red Bull, believes that his team will be facing a weakened rival in the form of McLaren next year.

“McLaren are a weaker team without Lewis [Hamilton],” he is quoted by British newspapers this week. “I think they would admit that.”

By the same token, he said the 2008 world champion and Briton will undoubtedly strengthen Hamilton’s new team, Mercedes.

Many, however, believe the balance of power will not shift dramatically in 2013, due to the essentially stable regulations and the fact that many teams will be arguably more focused on the dramatic changes for the year after.

“I fear that Red Bull has already won the 2013 title to a factor of 49 per cent,” Jaime Alguersuari, a former Toro Rosso driver and 2012 Pirelli tester, told the Spanish newspaper AS.

But while Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel won the 2012 titles ahead of Ferrari, McLaren is also strong already.

“We’ll be starting [2013] with this car,” Interlagos winner Jenson Button said, “and there are no regulation changes, so it is a great way to end the season.”

As for Horner’s comments about Hamilton weakening McLaren, Button is quoted by the Independent: “Mercedes are getting a very quick driver.

“He is going to help them, but they have a big job on their hands.”

Webber: I’m not going there thinking in a supporting role at all

141020825KR00007_F1_Grand_P-640x392.jpg

Australian Mark Webber has no interest in playing a support role for teammate and newly crowned triple world champion Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull and is just as keen to beat the German as anyone else on the grid.

Vettel claimed his third consecutive world title on Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix, edging out Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso by three points.

The drivers title race went down to the wire, and still may offer a sting in the tail with Ferrari reportedly considering the possibility of a challenge on a technicality, but the battle within the Red Bull garage was a far greater mismatch with Vettel finishing 102 points ahead of Webber.

Despite the gap, the 36-year-old Australian’s place at Red Bull for next season was never in doubt and Webber is confident that his role is not simply to help Vettel attain more success.

“Obviously with Sebastian’s form, he’s clearly on the front foot. Not only from within our team but he’s won three world titles on the bounce now so all the drivers have got to try and topple him,” Webber told reporters in Tasmania on Thursday.

“I don’t go [to grands prix] thinking [that] I’ve got to be playing a team role as such. I’m there for myself, to get the best results possible and to do that I need to be part of the team.

“So, no, I’m not going there thinking in a supporting role at all.”

Webber finished sixth in the drivers championship after claiming two victories, at Monaco and Silverstone, compared to Vettel’s five race wins.

Collectively the duo delivered a third consecutive constructors title for Red Bull but had to endure worrying reliability issues at the normally reliable UK-based team.

Webber suffered back-to-back retirements in Abu Dhabi and Texas, which proved costly for the former Williams, Jaguar and Minardi driver.

“Ultimately we just weren’t consistent enough compared to 2010 and 2011,” Webber said. “Our qualifying pace this year was a very, very good step forward but [not] our Sunday performances.

“It wasn’t strong enough towards the end but they’re fine margins and before you know it, the odd non-finish here and there, and the points are not in your favour.”

Red Bull to pay Vettel about $4-million title bonus

d12bra536-340x230.jpg

Sebastian Vettel will scoop an extra $ 4-million in bonus money for winning the 2012 title, Germany’s Bild newspaper reports.

The news follows reports each member of Red Bull Racing’s 657-strong workforce will be paid a $ 15,000 world championship bonus.

That alone will cost the energy drink-owned team over $ 10-million.

Vettel told Bild: “If you do a good job, you get a bonus. Everyone is working for the same goal, whether you’re a mechanic or the postman.”