Going back to school

Well, it's finally official. I'm going back to uni (sort of). Never would have thought I'd be going back after all this time.

My question is, how the heck do you juggle a full time job and all the study required to pass this damn course? :thinking: I typically work 50+ hours a week (soon to be 60+ what with my project coming up for delivery) so that doesn't leave much time for study, rest and still maintain some semblance of a social life.

For those who have done the juggle, how did you handle it? :confused:

so that doesn't leave much time for study, rest and still maintain some semblance of a social life.

Sorry to say it, but you are going to have to forget about the social life for a while. After getting a bachelors and an MBA, I spent another 3 years preparing for the CFA exam and missed out on some fun times with friends (including skipping a wild trip to New Orleans). But it was worth it in the end. Every year, around exam time, I celebrate the fact that I don't have to study any more, and I enjoy my new found social life that much more.

one of the three needs to suffer with you working 60 hours a week and going to school for about 40 hours including study, that leaves 68 hours in the week approximately 56 will be eaten up by sleep. One must give.

It may not be fun for a while but I assume it will be for the best in the end.

Well, it's finally official. I'm going back to uni (sort of). Never would have thought I'd be going back after all this time.

My question is, how the heck do you juggle a full time job and all the study required to pass this damn course? :thinking: I typically work 50+ hours a week (soon to be 60+ what with my project coming up for delivery) so that doesn't leave much time for study, rest and still maintain some semblance of a social life.

Chris....seriously...they modelled George Costanza on you :wink2:

Google up the degree and download the PDF....frame it and put it on the wall.....but not too quickly.

• Leave the car in the Woolies carpark for days on end.
  • Lights always on in the office.
  • Be the first into the office and be asleep on the desk ...papers strewn everywhere. You never left.
  • Start a Penske file
  • Ask for 3 days leave a quarter to attend the university. Go to the beach .
  • Have a dummy phone in Lecturer that goes through your receptionist. I can call weekly. I like Professor Maximus. Tell her to expect the call.

In all fairness, I have to submit my critique of your post.

As Fuzz's best friend since high school, this is a man who used to only sleep 4hrs a night. Nowadays, he sleeps maybe 6hrs a night.

He has a wife that he is paying off (apartment), a girlfriend that is yet to deliver (new car).

His social life was very free. I used to call him on a fri afternoon to have a get together at my place for a cigar that night.

Ok, so you worked a lot, now have a uni course that will take up more time. Hopefully, you might squeeze in some social life.

Welcome to Married with Kids life, confirmed life bachelor!!!

I can only look on and laugh :rotfl:

While I am doing a "et tu Jay" - might as well say - "Man up"

Why haven't you even looked at offshoring the uni work to india. I am sure Elie can hook you up.

Mate I have several friends who are doing post-grad courses. One of them has a cushy government job that is flexible around study but another is in resource projects and does 60+ hrs a week. another is lucky to have his missus taking the heat for a couple of years.

They all take flexible course options - do part-time options, ask tutors for extensions before time, do "intensive units" that don't go a whole semester (great way to knock out credits)

I actually just restarted University this January after 6 years off. I also work full time and I am enrolled in 2 classes. Its only been a month and midterms are in about 8-10 days so I can't give you a whole lot of details but here is a few

1- Schedule time for everything. Everything has to have a set time and date. (Classes, work,women, homework, readings, friends, cigars,beers, women,...) EVERYTHING

2- Don't get behind on readings and try to read ahead for the following class.

3- Go to tutorials

4- Don't organize a herf lol....kidding it was welllll worth it!

my 2 cents, pm if you need

one of the three needs to suffer with you working 60 hours a week and going to school for about 40 hours including study, that leaves 68 hours in the week approximately 56 will be eaten up by sleep. One must give.

It may not be fun for a while but I assume it will be for the best in the end.

56 hours sleep? :blink: Geez you guys sleep alot! :sleeping: I only get about 35-40 hours a week.

Chris....seriously...they modelled George Costanza on you :wink2:

Google up the degree and download the PDF....frame it and put it on the wall.....but not too quickly.

• Leave the car in the Woolies carpark for days on end.
  • Lights always on in the office.
  • Be the first into the office and be asleep on the desk ...papers strewn everywhere. You never left.
  • Start a Penske file
  • Ask for 3 days leave a quarter to attend the university. Go to the beach .
  • Have a dummy phone in Lecturer that goes through your receptionist. I can call weekly. I like Professor Maximus. Tell her to expect the call.

Rob, somedays I really wish that were true! However:
  • There is no way I'll be leaving my car at the office (especially the new one I'm awaiting delivery)
  • The lights are controlled by a timer (bugger me if I'm going to get up and walk to the otherside of the building to override it!)
  • My desk is already covered in paper
  • I already have a Penske file!
  • They want me to take leave. I got forced to take 3 weeks leave at Xmas because I've got too much annual leave.
  • We don't have a receptionist at my office. Don't get me wrong, we do have a reception desk, just no receptionist.

Will miss the small semblance of a social life I did have. But I guess it's my own damn fault for deciding to go back to uni! :P

Thanks for the advice gents, it is much appreciated.

Luckily for me, a lot of the material this diploma covers is what I've done for work in the past, so it shouldn't be a huge strain. It's only offered to people in the logistics field and you have to pass a set criteria to be eligible for it. The core material is covered over 10 months with 2 electives to be completed over the following 12 months.

Will definitely be reading ahead and getting my assessments done early (got to hand one in every three weeks!)

Oh, and Jase, :forkyou:

Fuzz, I've been contemplating to do my post-grad part time but the fear of 1)failure (barely made it through doing full time on my degree) 2) The end of my social life, there wasnt much to begin with. I respect you for doin it mate and wish you best of luck. I hope, i get enough courage follow your lead and do it this year

Fear of failure didn't enter my mind (until now, Zin!). It's more the fear, "I just blew $10k for nothing!!"

Never did finish my degree the first time round at uni (BSc in Physics and Electronics), and I've regretted it for many years.

I suggest you start mastering the bold type study method. Got me through high school, college, the army and onto Wall Street. At the same time, it save me tons of time. It actually entails more than the name implies...

You need to study and memorize anything printed in bold or italic typeface. You need to memorize and charts, diagrams, forumulas/equations. And lastly, you need to study the Chapter Summary and review the syllabus outline to make sure there isn't anything but the text you have to cover.

Do that and you're good to go. Seriously takes like an hour to study for a mid-term. Maybe 2x to 3x that for a final exam. Papers...that's another story. Get yourself a stenographer and have him/her note and type of your stream of thought.. Girlfriends and secretaries are great for this kind of stuff. Edit, fill in the gaps and submit.

Good luck, Fuzz!

I am on the last leg of my 42 year college career. Last summer, I finally completed all the course work for my BA in Education. I been working full time and for the last 5 years have been taking classes on weekends as well. Now I am on leave of absence for 12 weeks to complete my student teaching in a 2nd grade classroom. It will be bizarre to be celebrating my 60th birthday with a bunch of 7 year olds. They look up and say, "Did you know you have hair growing in your nose?"