Hell Bay Everglades, and Florida Bay Last trip of the year

Miami101

This is perhaps my longest posting. Once again thanks to those that provide information, and warm brotherhood I’ve found among fisherman.

Well it’s been a great year. I did less Kayaking than I wanted, and more Gheenoe trips to fill in the void. I smoked some great cigars, gained more thoughts on fishing, and respect for the wildlife eco system we call the Everglades.

Last trips for this year were into Hells Bay and Front Side. Same day trip, it was more of a visit than fishing. Once we got to the front side we went heavy after the Red’s to get our Slam, and after that laid back, had a smoke and took in the Zoo party. I have never seen so much boat traffic, and people riding up you when they see you catching fish. Ah Summer how I long for your return to have the flats to myself, and glass reflection waters.

This year the season has been strange and the days have been warm. The fresh water levels are still high on the back country side. In fact you can still make Kayak & Canoe trips into CraigHead Pond, and you can still paddle from Taylor Slough to Nine Mile Pond.

I could be incorrect with the statement above, and maybe if January brings some cold days we might see the migration I’ve seen in the last years. I did start seeing Snook more at end of November, in fact Snook are still running the beaches. Red’s are still on the Flats, Tarpon not like years before, and the Black Drum well they do what they want. I’m not saying there are no fish on the back side because I take trips into the back country all year long and see fish here and there. I tend to love the back country in the rainy season and find fish finding where fresh water is flowing into the Mangroves. Yes it is hot, and the swamp angels are heavy, but there is no one in sight, and camping is free. Unlike this last week when the Park was a Zoo of people and army of Kayaks and Canoes was the hue of the land.

Ref:

CraigHead:Is a vast marsh east of Nine Mile Pond near Flamingo. It was an old Air Boat longer used by park researchers but still bearing white PVC markers.

Taylor Slough:Taylor Slough, located in the southeastern corner of the Florida Everglades, along with the much larger Shark River Slough farther to the west, are the principal natural drainages for the freshwater Everglades. Fun sawgrass leading you into gator whole, bird watching, and yes some times fish.

Hell to get into and hell to get out of,' was how this sheltered launch was described by old Gladesmen, but damn if it isn't heaven inside: a capillary network of mangrove creeks, sawgrass islands and shifting mudflats, where the brambles form a green tunnel and all you can smell is sea salt and the dark, organic breath of the swamp. Three chickee sites (wooden platforms built above the waterline) are spaced along the trail. (Taken from Everglades National Park website)

There are a few shots I included from our Kayak trip. Well I paddled, Kirk hooked up a trolling motor, and play station (JK).

Fish Count: All fish released and not harmed.

Red’s 10 avg 20 to 23. Folks if we keep releasing we may see this avg up next year!

Snook 8 small to mid size, but any size is fine with me.

Tarpon 5 small/Mid: I posted photos the smallest to mid.

Sea Trout: Yes I’m the Sea Trout man again 15. Small to Mid they are not in season, and can’t keep them off my line…

Baby Grouper on the front side. Yeah not sure how Kirk pulled that one off, but I think he was hand feeding baby groupers. I agree front side groupers are never seen. No photo, he flipped it back in the water because it was small. I wish I could have had a shot of it, but you know how young people are if it’s not a nice size…back in the water.

Well here we go. For those that hate nature shots sorry, but I hope you come to see this place like I do. Once again sorry for the long write up

Picture011.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_6162.jpg

IMG_6966.jpg

MidIMG_0961.jpg

Small: he gave a good fight..LOL

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

Avg Size Snook back size

IMG_2459.jpg

Front Side: