Cigar oasis vs hydra

Kapsimalis

Can only speak about the cigar oasis. I have one running in my cabinet and it's super efficient. Only need to top up the water once a month. It's been running ever since I bought it and it runs as if it's day one. The only thing that I'd suggest you do is, modifying the cartridge by removing the green foam and replacing it with a teaspoon of water storage crystals.. Will save you a lot of money on water cartridges

Hey Bud,

I have the Hydra SM and it is a pretty good unit. I took out the green foam and replaced it with gel beads in order not to keep buying and replacing a cartridge every so often. Once the unit is dialed in then it works perfect but you have to play with the setting of RH since the built in hydrometer is very sensitive. The unit works great and I imagine that the Oasis works very well too, its just a matter on which one you can get for a better price.

Cheers,

Marty

Liking my Hydra LG. I actually have 2 additional hygrometers in addition to the built-in one in order to be able to check humidity on every shelf.

If you don't want to tinker with the knobs,salt test the unit against a tested digital hygrometer. Example: my digital hygrometer is dead on.My hydra is +12. so if i want 60 rh the hydra reads 72.i set the hydra at 71 which is really 59 it comes on all is good. I also use beads 60rh (heartfelt)..it works for me..hope this helps

If you don't want to tinker with the knobs,salt test the unit against a tested digital hygrometer. Example: my digital hygrometer is dead on.My hydra is +12. so if i want 60 rh the hydra reads 72.i set the hydra at 71 which is really 59 it comes on all is good. I also use beads 60rh (heartfelt)..it works for me..hope this helps

Why go through all that trouble when you literally calibrate ur hydra? That doesnt make sense to go through all that trouble if the system is able to be calibrated, which the hydra is. But my question how come the oasis doesn't have any calibration knobs?

Why go through all that trouble when you literally calibrate ur hydra? That doesnt make sense to go through all that trouble if the system is able to be calibrated, which the hydra is. But my question how come the oasis doesn't have any calibration knobs?

I have used the Oasis XL for a few years now and it has not caused me a day of trouble. I think the green foam only needs to be changed every couple of years and isn't that expensive. I'd have not problem recommending it to anyone.

I have used the Oasis XL for a few years now and it has not caused me a day of trouble. I think the green foam only needs to be changed every couple of years and isn't that expensive. I'd have not problem recommending it to anyone.

Hey thanks for your recommendation. And for yourself I've heard people cutting out that foam crap and putting polymer gel. Works much better.

Sorry if I came off rude lol I'm just stumped with ur situation. Just confuzzled my man.

confuzzled is also having a wireless weather station with a remote in the humidor which is off by -6

so the wireless is reading 54 rh which means its 60

the hydra-just open my humidor- is reading 72.4 which is 60.4

digital hygrometers -the only accurate device is reading 60

its only numbers-but i've salt tested everything with the boveda salt test pack

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the hydra and bought it for the calibration adjustment feature. It works fine except that the calibration knob has a set amount of "clicks" that it can be adjusted up or down, and in my case there isn't enough range. My unit is adjusted to the max allowable and it is still +6 off from the digital hydrometer that I just re-calibrated its actually 65 in my humi but the hydra says 74ish. Easy fix I just adjusted the set point till it turns on and off when I need it to. Other than than that little issue it works great...oh and the low water alarm is really freaking loud it woke me up one night from the other room.

I have a Hydra SM,

from my experience it takes the hydra a longer time to settle into its environment and then to dish out an accurate reading depending on its calibration. What I did was salt test it with a dead on hydrometer I have but let the hydra sit for quite some time in order for it to properly acclimate. I put it into the salt test with the calibration knob turned on high and then after calibrated it accordingly. My hydra now is spot on, only a difference of +/- 1 from the hydra and my dead on hydrometer.

Just to fill everyone in everything works great. My hydra was initially only off by -3 rh. I calibrated it with the boveda pack test, took out the foam and put polymer gel. I have two cigar hygrometers( the nice rectangle ones) and my one hygrometer is dead on and reads 68 my other one is just below at 67 and my hydra works like a charm keeping my hygrometers reading the same thing. I also have s mall amounts of beads throughout the humidor. Perfect system, I've had it going now for a few months and haven't even needed to refill my hydra, it's still near full when I looked inside. But now I just have one final concern to take care of and it's just simply air circulation. The right side of my humidor reads roughly two rh higher so I just bought an extension fan kit and I'm going to instal two fans n my hydra. It's a 400 count humidor btw if anyone's wondering. Again thanks for all your responses.

• 3 years later...

I'm currently in a similar situation. My hydra lg is off by more than the range to fix it. Furthermore, I'm wondering if I could put beads (heartfelt) in the refill container. Any suggestions?

I had my hydra xl for about 7 years and it just died. It always read about 10+ rh but taking that into account it was solid. I'd recommend it and might buy it again. My set up is different now so I may not need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk