Correnti Cigar Review - Robusto & Churchill No2

asmith

Something a little bit different this week as we try a cigar we have never seen before. Thanks to tmac77 for sending a couple of cigars to try and work out where the tobacco comes from.

Excellent video. Nice move Tom. FTR. Tobacco has been grown in Ontario for many years. Don't know if that's the case at present but there's a history here. A guy I worked with worked on his uncles farm 20 years ago.

You use guys are willing to try anything huh? I found a guy in downtown Los Angeles that has a nice little shop. He has maybe 3 employees and they all roll cigars. They roll various sizes. The band says Rey on them. Which I think is the owners name. I've smoked several of his cigars in the past 10 yrs. Nothings really change at all to me...except the spiciness. It's a spice bomb. The cigars aren't for me but I enjoy walking in and picking out a fresh roll stick.

Well you have restored my faith in cigar reviews on this board. I would have scored that cigar about the same as you two and maybe not quite as high ( I say about an 82). I have actually picked up and scrounged through bales of their tobacco and it is indeed aged cuban leaf (some of it dated 25 years old). Now the kicker here is that it is not necessarily from the top regions (Vuelta Abajo) but most likely Vuelta Arriba etc. All of their blends are the same and I find extremely mild. The one big bale I went through was incredibly beetle ridden but 25 years old indeed. As far as the wrappers go they are probably Nicaraguan in origin. Correnti's have been scoring cuban leaf for almost 100 years and are one of the lucky few to have access to this product. They have enough raw materials to make a good cigar but lack the expertise in the blending department. Occasionly they get a guest roller fron Cuba and they manage to transform the cigars into something worth smoking. Unforttunately the good roller/blenders are few and far between at this factory.

Have to give this a listen when I get home from work. (no sound on office computer.) Glad they finally arrived allthough it looks like the foot on one of them got a bit damaged in transit or did you drop the box on your head Rob?

Nice review, I enjoyed watching smithy sweating it out a little trying to figure out the cigar.

NC's consistently take too long to develop depth, almost always the last third for me. And that's usually too much waiting for me. Interesting that these also took so long.

NC's consistently take too long to develop depth, almost always the last third for me. And that's usually too much waiting for me. Interesting that these also took so long.

According to the Correnti folks they are 100% cuban. However, I am of the opinion that only the filler and binder are from their 25 year old stock and that the wrapper is Nicaraguan.

Thanks guys.

The menthol / pine needle qualities you've mentioned are what I've picked up from the few long aged Cuban tobacco cigars I've smoked.

Sometimes old is nothing but old.

P.S. A certain someone says Americans are geographically challenged?..... :wub:

nice review Smithy and Rob. BTW Toronto is a city in the province of Ontario in Canada. geez didn't you guys take geography in school. :wub:

Anyway you did end up scoring them a bit higher that I did mine which came in at about an 84. I did not get quite as good as a last third as you guys.

As for visiting the factory well no worries there when you come by Toronto we will set up a visit with the owners and review a fresh rolled lonsdale or something similar.

Tom

Fun review, fellas, as always!

I didn't realize it was such a challenge for you to get NCs in Oz. Rather like folks who eat nothing but prime rib noting they have a hard time getting head cheese, but still . . . :D

Maybe some NC tastings are in order. I think it would be most interesting to see the lads take on one of the Pepin Garcia-blended smokes, or perhaps A.J. Fernandez, who learned under Senor Robaina.

Interesting review. Nice to see you guys straying off the beaten path a bit with these cigars.

Nice move Tom. I have been really pissed off with the quality coming out of Correnti's. I dont think he cares. I've ranted about it enough to even care anymore.