Picture of Tobacco Beetle Hole

Peter11216

I just discovered a hole in one of my cigars. I realize of course that this topic has been covered extensively, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to add another picture of what the holes look like, and for my own sanity, confirm the correct procedure for saving the cigars.

Given the advice I've read on the forum, upon finding a dead beetle or hole:

1. Seal all cigars (that have been in the same humidor with the infested sticks) in air tight containers;

2. Try to have as little air as possible in the containers, perhaps using ziplock bags;

[2.5 - Store in fridge for three days - keep away from odors that may taint cigars; [corrected by Bundwallah, see his response below]]

3. Transfer to standard home kitchen freezer for three days;

4. Transfer to fridge for three days;

5. Allow time to acclimatize outside of humidor; and then,

6. Return to throughly cleaned humidor.

Then be confident that the infestation won't damage any more cigars?

Advice, corrections [thanks Frank!] or confirmation would be greatly appreciated.

I have yet to find any beetle alive or otherwise. Should this be a concern. Fortunately, the stick was inside of a cardboard single casing, inside a five pack, of five packs. I'd imagine this itself would slow down migration.

See picture:

post-8257-1307033018.jpg

Best,

Pete

That's a sad photo. :(

A few corrections...

2a 3. Store in fridge for three days away from any items that may impart an odor to your cigars.

3. Transfer from fridge to standard home kitchen freezer for three days;

4. Transfer from freezer to fridge for three days

:D tobacco beetles!!

Hey! Thanks for the quick reply. So . . . the idea is to do the temperature transition as slowly as possible, I guess. Makes a lot of sense. I'm going to add the correction with an edit, and attribution.

FoH forum is very cool.

Best,

Pete

Hey! Thanks for the quick reply. So . . . the idea is to do the temperature transition as slowly as possible, I guess. Makes a lot of sense. I'm going to add the correction with an edit, and attribution.

FoH forum is very cool.

Best,

Pete

No problem Pete. And thanks! I'm just passing on the lesson's I've learned from others or firsthand. One more thing I should add. Once you return the cigars to the humidor, let them sit for about 1-3 months before you light one up just to be safe. The fridge to freezer transition should minimize temperature damage but the temperature shock probably warrants a nice sleep in the humidor. :D

I freeze all my cigars now upon delivery. I do not put them into the fridge prior to the freezer. I don't wont those little buggers acclimatizing!

This is what I do.

1) Make sure your freezer is cold enough! I have an old school model that goes well below -20 Centigrade or -4 F

2) I then double bag the cigars using a straw to suck out as much of the air from each bag

3) Toss them in the freezer for 2 days

4) Pull them out and let them sit in the fridge for 24 hours. I keep baking soda in the fridge to keep odors at bay.. try not to have onions in the fridge if possible lol.

5) Pull them out of the fridge and leave them in the bags, and transfer them to the humidor for 48 hours.

6) Take Cigars out of their bags and keep them in the humidor ( I use a coolidor)

Thanks. This is super helpful. I'm looking for a straw now!

Best,

Pete

I freeze all my cigars now upon delivery. I do not put them into the fridge prior to the freezer. I don't wont those little buggers acclimatizing!

This is what I do.

1) Make sure your freezer is cold enough! I have an old school model that goes well below -20 Centigrade or -4 F

2) I then double bag the cigars using a straw to suck out as much of the air from each bag

3) Toss them in the freezer for 2 days

4) Pull them out and let them sit in the fridge for 24 hours. I keep baking soda in the fridge to keep odors at bay.. try not to have onions in the fridge if possible lol.

5) Pull them out of the fridge and leave them in the bags, and transfer them to the humidor for 48 hours.

6) Take Cigars out of their bags and keep them in the humidor ( I use a coolidor)

That's a sad photo. :(

A few corrections...

2a 3. Store in fridge for three days away from any items that may impart an odor to your cigars.

3. Transfer from fridge to standard home kitchen freezer for three days;

4. Transfer from freezer to fridge for three days

:wub: tobacco beetles!!

I follow this routine using the fridge also.

Double bag with the freezer bags that have a double seal.

Using a straw to remove as much air as possible.

My understanding about fridge time is it reduces the chance of ice crystals forming.

The cigars freeze faster if they are cold to start with before putting in the freezer.

And they warm up slower after removing.

Learned this from a show on the Food Network on how to freeze moisture rich food.

Have only seen one but I hate them little buggers.

• 3 weeks later...

This entire thread has me freaking out. Are beetles that common a problem that one would need to freeze every box they buy? Does freezing not impact the flavour or quality of the cigar?

Newbie here, I know nothing of beetles or freezing cigars.

Simon

This entire thread has me freaking out. Are beetles that common a problem that one would need to freeze every box they buy? Does freezing not impact the flavour or quality of the cigar?

Newbie here, I know nothing of beetles or freezing cigars.

Simon

An excellent question! The FOH science team is already hard at work on this issue here.

In short. The stuff Habanos SA ships for export is frozen to kill off the beetle eggs. Stuff you buy on your way out of Cuba is not so it's suggested you freeze them when you get home. The methods noted above are quite good. Read that thread I referenced in the link. You'll find it helpful.

Cheers,

BW

I just discovered a hole in one of my cigars. I realize of course that this topic has been covered extensively, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to add another picture of what the holes look like, and for my own sanity, confirm the correct procedure for saving the cigars.

Given the advice I've read on the forum, upon finding a dead beetle or hole:

1. Seal all cigars (that have been in the same humidor with the infested sticks) in air tight containers;

2. Try to have as little air as possible in the containers, perhaps using ziplock bags;

[2.5 - Store in fridge for three days - keep away from odors that may taint cigars; [corrected by Bundwallah, see his response below]]

3. Transfer to standard home kitchen freezer for three days;

4. Transfer to fridge for three days;

5. Allow time to acclimatize outside of humidor; and then,

6. Return to throughly cleaned humidor.

Then be confident that the infestation won't damage any more cigars?

Advice, corrections [thanks Frank!] or confirmation would be greatly appreciated.

I have yet to find any beetle alive or otherwise. Should this be a concern. Fortunately, the stick was inside of a cardboard single casing, inside a five pack, of five packs. I'd imagine this itself would slow down migration.

See picture:

post-8257-1307033018.jpg

Best,

Pete

Even a Beetle likes a good smoke...burn it with a smile and enjoy.

• 2 months later...

You can ask El Pres. if you want, bu he and I have had several conversations about freezing upon arrival, and in his opinion he doesn't see the point unless they weren't handled right coming from SA Cuba to the supplier or while they are at the supplier. I don't remember the date, maybe 2006, but he said SA freezes all cigars before they ship out to suppliers anyway. I trust the czar handles his stock right, so I never have had a problem with it and I never worry about it.

Say you find a hole and u freeze it. Is it still smokeable ?

When I cut the cap of the cigar I use the tobacco from that cap and plug the hole with it.Thank heaven it has happened only once and that stick was given to my by someone who didn't know anything about cigars.

• 2 months later...

Does freezing cigars alter the taste of the cigars?

Offhand, no. If you're freezing them for a few days to prevent beetle infestation you should be fine. If you leave them in for a year. I'd say yes. Most food can't be frozen too long without the taste being affected. I'd say the same principle applies to cigars.

Sorry to see that photo BotL...most companies take measures to deter beetles but some beetle penetration is inevitable. All of the steps mentioned are great, just make sure it is a slow transition from the fridge, to freezer, to fridge, and back out...should be no harm in smoking them. A friend of mine from AZ had beetles in some of this Macanudo Maduros and didn't want them after he froze them and got rid of the beetles...so he traded them to me for practically nothing and I just put them in a bag of their own so if anything did happen again with them, they were quarantined. Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Right! Thanks for the reminder. In fact, I had these particular cigars segregated in their own tupperware, since I was lucky enough not to have any space in my small humidor. Since freezing these, and waiting several months, I have tried two. One was so-so, but the other was excellent. As someone who smokes mostly non-C's, I was surprised and pleased by how interesting the flavour profile was. First, it was distinct from the Nicaraguan tobacco I am most used to; and second, it had transitions in flavour that are very rare in my regular rotation! So far everything has been successful.

Thanks again for adding the tip!

PLEASE don't forget to vacuum out the humidor. Easy to do while the cigars are in the freezer. Most miss this critical step.