Rh beads (again)

CaptainQuintero

SO I just got myself a wine cabinet which I'm very pleased with, now the next thing is to buy the beads. In my 120 capacity desktop humidor I have a 50 and 100 puck which are both filled with 70rh beads...and my desktop is a steady 66% rh (the eads are about 70% saturated with distilled water).

So I'm thinking if I purchase the 65% beads, will the humidity in my cabinet be around 58%?

basically do beads tend to fall short of their target in general?

----

edit, the room humidity is normally 40-50% at this time of year but my desktop is tucked away at the bottom of a set od drawers in the dark and is naturally at around 65 f

My cabinet humi and coolers are spot on at 65% in an environment that is less than 20% rh most of the year. I use 65% beads exclusively.

SO I just got myself a wine cabinet which I'm very pleased with, now the next thing is to buy the beads. In my 120 capacity desktop humidor I have a 50 and 100 puck which are both filled with 70rh beads...and my desktop is a steady 66% rh (the eads are about 70% saturated with distilled water).

So I'm thinking if I purchase the 65% beads, will the humidity in my cabinet be around 58%?

----

edit, the room humidity is normally 40-50% at this time of year but my desktop is tucked away at the bottom of a set od drawers in the dark and is naturally at around 65 f

• 3 months later...

----

I know this is a waaaay late answer to this post, CQ, but I think you'd be best with the 65% beads.

If you have a desktop 120-count, and you have 70%RH beads in there but they're running at about 66%RH, that's likely due to it being a wooden humidor. The material is somewhat permeable to the moisture over time, so the humidity level is expected to be 4-7% lower than the "advertised" RH level of the beads. However, if you're getting a commercial wine cooler unit, something that's made of very air-tight and water-tight composite materials (not wood, like a desktop humidor), then the functionality of the beads would be better. I'd then get the 65%RH ones, and would expect it to be in the 63-67% range (+/- 2%, rather than -5% or so).

Again, this is a bit late on this post, so don't know if it's any help, but I'm bored today and trying to catch up on some old posts.... :rolleyes:

Cheers.

----

Pics?