Havana Club Barrel Proof

bigfunkyg

Ran accross Havana Club Barrel Proof at my local liquor store this past week. Does anybody have some feedback on it? The price was quite reasonable compared to a reasonable 12 yr Single Malt. I'm a big Zacapa fan but wouldn't have expectations that high for this.

Thanks,

G

Ran accross Havana Club Barrel Proof at my local liquor store this past week. Does anybody have some feedback on it? The price was quite reasonable compared to a reasonable 12 yr Single Malt. I'm a big Zacapa fan but wouldn't have expectations that high for this.

Thanks,

G

I bought a bottle at a duty free not long ago. Doesn't hold a candle to the HC 7 year. I ended up making Mojitos from most of it since I have many much better sipping rums (like Zacapa, Appleton, Zaya, Ron Millonario, .....). It is not very smooth IMO.

Barrel Proof liquor tends to be higher in alcohol and therefore a bit more harsh or if you prefer...less smooth.

I picked up a bottle in Cuba last year and loved it. Sipped it neat and the bottle didn't last long. I like fuller-bodied stuff, so it suited me.

I'm also a big fan of Zacapa, but the two don't compare - BP doesn't have the sweetness and smoothness of Zacapa.

Barrel Proof liquor tends to be higher in alcohol and therefore a bit more harsh or if you prefer...less smooth.

The funny thing is that it's only 5% more alcohol than the HC7 (45% vs. 40%) and I regularly drink single malt at or even over 45%. Must be my palate. I do prefer sweeter rums.

I'm also a big fan of Zacapa, but the two don't compare - BP doesn't have the sweetness and smoothness of Zacapa.
The funny thing is that it's only 5% more alcohol than the HC7 (45% vs. 40%)...

Completely agree with both of the above.

Zacapa, I've found, is much smoother than the Havana Club offerings that I've had (haven't tried the Maximo stuff, so can't comment on that).

And yes, I'd also agree with others that Havana Club Anejo 7 Anos is much nicer than the Barrel Proof actually. It honestly almost seems like the barrels that aren't quite up to snuff, quality wise, to become the A7A, they then end up recorking those barrels and leaving them for another 3 years, to eventually become the stronger Barrel Proof. The BP is stronger alcohol wise, and has more age and colour to it I think, but the A7A has a better character to it.

That said, my liquor cabinet, for the past 4 years or so now, is never without a bottle of both the A7A and the BP. There are different benefits to each. However, normal consumption definitely does steer more towards A7A for the everyday, to the Zacapa for special occasions, and to the BP as a treat for guests who have never tried it.

I'd definitely recommend to have a bottle of each on hand at all times.

Completely agree with both of the above.

Zacapa, I've found, is much smoother than the Havana Club offerings that I've had (haven't tried the Maximo stuff, so can't comment on that).

And yes, I'd also agree with others that Havana Club Anejo 7 Anos is much nicer than the Barrel Proof actually. It honestly almost seems like the barrels that aren't quite up to snuff, quality wise, to become the A7A, they then end up recorking those barrels and leaving them for another 3 years, to eventually become the stronger Barrel Proof. The BP is stronger alcohol wise, and has more age and colour to it I think, but the A7A has a better character to it.

That said, my liquor cabinet, for the past 4 years or so now, is never without a bottle of both the A7A and the BP. There are different benefits to each. However, normal consumption definitely does steer more towards A7A for the everyday, to the Zacapa for special occasions, and to the BP as a treat for guests who have never tried it.

I'd definitely recommend to have a bottle of each on hand at all times.

definitely worth a look for a change. i'm a big fan of the zacapa but have quite enjoyed this. not the same quality.

there are a few cuban rums that are at least as smooth as the top zacapas - the best santiago's for example - but they can be rare and exy.