Fabio Delgado Fuentes,Last of the great Cantineros .

laficion

If there's one place I would have loved to work, it would have to be Sloppy Joe's Bar in Havana.

but then again, I'm not so sure that I would have been very efficient in my job since I'd be more

busy drinking then serving the clientele :)

It's been a while that I've been searching all over for info on Sloppy Joe's Bar and I think that

I'll be searching for a long time since there's not much to be seen anywhere.

However, once in a while, there's some very interesting things that show up, such as this info that I found

and would love to share with you here on the forum.

Sloppy Joe's Bar in Havana was started by José Abeal y Otero and before the end of prohibition, Sloppy Joe's

has become one of THEE most famous Bars in the world.

At this time, Fabio Delgado Fuentes was the head barman at Sloppy Joe's and member of the "Club de Cantineros"

in Havana. He is known to have invented more then 33 world class cocktails at Sloppy Joe's, unfortunately, many of

these cocktail recipes have been lost with time such as, Cuba Bella, Cuban Manhattan, Havana Beach Special,

Mojito Caballito, Rum Daisy, Santiago and many more.

Here is a recent video from CubaVue.tv , featuring Fabio Delgado Fuentes making some of his famous cocktails

in some of Havana's best bars. After the first vid , go below on the right and click on "Extra Documentary cuban cocktails

with Fabio Delgado"

It's also an opportunity to see some great bars in Havana that are not necessarily well known.

Hope you'll enjoy ;)

http://www.cubavue.tv/pages/cocktail1.html#

Guy, really nice video.

Last February Sloppy Joe's was closed down, full of rubble and had scaffolding all around it. I heard that it was being reconstructed and that they still had the original counter. I'll try again when I'm there in a few weeks.

The bar in your video in the Havana Club Bar, beside the rum museum by the docks.

There's a nice scene filmed in Sloppy Joe's in Our Man in Havana in 1959 (worth a look, if only to see how little some of the Havana Vieja has changed and a nice film)

Here's the Sloppy Joe's scene in poor quality on Youtube.

Guest william knight
If there's one place I would have loved to work, it would have to be Sloppy Joe's Bar in Havana.

but then again, I'm not so sure that I would have been very efficient in my job since I'd be more

busy drinking then serving the clientele :o

It's been a while that I've been searching all over for info on Sloppy Joe's Bar and I think that

I'll be searching for a long time since there's not much to be seen anywhere.

However, once in a while, there's some very interesting things that show up, such as this info that I found

and would love to share with you here on the forum.

Sloppy Joe's Bar in Havana was started by José Abeal y Otero and before the end of prohibition, Sloppy Joe's

has become one of THEE most famous Bars in the world.

At this time, Fabio Delgado Fuentes was the head barman at Sloppy Joe's and member of the "Club de Cantineros"

in Havana. He is known to have invented more then 33 world class cocktails at Sloppy Joe's, unfortunately, many of

these cocktail recipes have been lost with time such as, Cuba Bella, Cuban Manhattan, Havana Beach Special,

Mojito Caballito, Rum Daisy, Santiago and many more.

Here is a recent video from CubaVue.tv , featuring Fabio Delgado Fuentes making some of his famous cocktails

in some of Havana's best bars. After the first vid , go below on the right and click on "Extra Documentary cuban cocktails

with Fabio Delgado"

It's also an opportunity to see some great bars in Havana that are not necessarily well known.

Hope you'll enjoy :drool:

http://www.cubavue.tv/pages/cocktail1.html#

I made the film about Fabio Delgado, he was an extraordinary man. I have his testimony which has the recipes to 33 of Fabio's cocktails.

I am sorry you are having to watch the documentary in such low resolution. One day i will hopefully be able to update the website and feature the film in its proper format ( broadcast quality) and present all the info i have on the Club de Cantineros.

best regards,

William Knight

Sloppy joes was Fabio's favourite bar, he went on to own three bars but gave them to the government after the revolution,

one of the bars he owned you see in the film, its where he sitting at the bar looking at a photo.

WK.

• 2 months later...
I made the film about Fabio Delgado, he was an extraordinary man. I have his testimony which has the recipes to 33 of Fabio's cocktails.

I am sorry you are having to watch the documentary in such low resolution. One day i will hopefully be able to update the website and feature the film in its proper format ( broadcast quality) and present all the info i have on the Club de Cantineros.

best regards,

William Knight

Thank you Mr. Knight for a very enjoyable moment with Sr.Fabio Delgado Fuentes.

I have a question, Is Fabio still alive today ?

Cheers,

Guy

• 1 month later...
Guest william knight
Thank you Mr. Knight for a very enjoyable moment with Sr.Fabio Delgado Fuentes.

I have a question, Is Fabio still alive today ?

Cheers,

Guy

Fabio died a few months after filming.