Planting my own leaf

Hello there,

Last summer (your winter) I went to Lebanon, the country is wonderful and they really appreciate good tobacco especially the Cuban :D

I went to the southern part of Lebanon and I've found that they plant tobacco there, large green fields of tobacco. Of course there they don't make cigars so they Sun cure it and smoke it mainly in hookahs.

I got my self a dried flower from the field and it contained at least 800 seeds.

When I came home I planted them (last September) it was 35 degrees Celsius back then and it started to sprout.

I'll try to grow some of these using 20-20-20 Fertilizer and some other using all organic compost (I made it) and see which will produce better size-color and taste.

As you can see in these photos below that I will be a while before I roll my first stick :D but I will enjoy the entire journey

Here they are 2 weeks old

post-7066-1295721297.jpg

and here after a couple of months

post-7066-1295720409.jpg

here are the transplanted alone ones (4 months old), after transplanting them and waiting a week now they are growing by the day

post-7066-1295720732.jpg

and a close up, real size is 5-6 cm (2 inches)

post-7066-1295721457.jpg

:D so what do you think? ;)

I'd love to cover my back yard, but the climate and soil here just isnt suited for good cultivation, best wishes in your endeavors

I'd love to cover my back yard, but the climate and soil here just isnt suited for good cultivation, best wishes in your endeavors

Don't they have community plots in Rosemead, Alhambra, El Monte or is it Montebello where they allow people to grow plants? Wanna go into business? :lol::D

Fantastic project, and what a great experiment. Please keep us posted on your progress and results.

Thanks for the pics.

I heard once that Tobacco plants are a great natural insect repellent - any noticeable improvements at your place with mosquitoes and flies?

They are not really a repellent, the nicotine in them is a pesticide but other than that flies and mosquitoes are all over the place!! You can leach-out the nicotine with a solvent and then spray it to kill any pest on other plants :P