Planning a trip to Cuba

Hi Everyone,

As a result of years of dreaming and finally thinking ' dang it , we are just going to book those tickets and go, I am planning my first trip to Cuba this coming April. I have wandered through the various threads here already and gained a lot of knowledge, thanks to all for sharing this generously :D

Despite all the information I have seen already I have a few questions and I think there is the expertise here to help me on my way. PM me please with any specific suggestions, general advice is welcome of course as responses to this thread.

1. Is there an expert travel agent in Australia who handles travel to Cuba you would recommend? (Maybe best PM this one)

2. We plan to fly via Mexico as the most direct route - is this the way to go?

3. I would like to spend the first 2 nights at the Sevilla in Havana just to get settled and oriented, is it easy to book from Aus?

4. I would like to take some small gifts for people we meet such as casa hosts, what is appropriate and appreciated?

5. Tips and advice with money, passports, visas?

6. What is the one thing you learnt from your trip to Cuba you wished you knew before you got there?

Once we are there I am sure I can organise the rest of the trip - some time in Trinidad and Cienfuegos for sure and going along to a baseball game in Havana. Tour of the Partagas factory, etc, etc. We don't want to rush around and try to see everything in 2 weeks but take it a bit easy and soak up the 'ambience'.

Thanks in advance folks ;) When we get back to Aus I plan to report here on the trip with lots of pictures and include what I learnt for the information of all at FoH.

Mike

Hi Everyone,

As a result of years of dreaming and finally thinking ' dang it , we are just going to book those tickets and go, I am planning my first trip to Cuba this coming April. I have wandered through the various threads here already and gained a lot of knowledge, thanks to all for sharing this generously :D

Despite all the information I have seen already I have a few questions and I think there is the expertise here to help me on my way. PM me please with any specific suggestions, general advice is welcome of course as responses to this thread.

1. Is there an expert travel agent in Australia who handles travel to Cuba you would recommend? (Maybe best PM this one)

2. We plan to fly via Mexico as the most direct route - is this the way to go?

3. I would like to spend the first 2 nights at the Sevilla in Havana just to get settled and oriented, is it easy to book from Aus?

4. I would like to take some small gifts for people we meet such as casa hosts, what is appropriate and appreciated?

6. What is the one thing you learnt from your trip to Cuba you wished you knew before you got there?

Once we are there I am sure I can organise the rest of the trip - some time in Trinidad and Cienfuegos for sure and going along to a baseball game in Havana. Tour of the Partagas factory, etc, etc. We don't want to rush around and try to see everything in 2 weeks but take it a bit easy and soak up the 'ambience'.

Thanks in advance folks ;) When we get back to Aus I plan to report here on the trip with lots of pictures and include what I learnt for the information of all at FoH.

Mike

Casa owners are among the more prosperous people in Cuba. Bringing gifts such as school supplies to any school is a much better idea. Be careful at a baseball game as it can get dicey around there at night.

After 40 trips to Cuba, I can tell you to expect the unexpected. For me, that was always a big part of my enjoyment of the country. Instead of Trinidad and Cienfuegos, I'd suggest Vinales and the Vuelta Abajo.

Have a great trip!

I am so jealous Mike :D

Seriously but have a really good time

Cheers

Steve ;)

Mike, good on ya.

I stayed here in Havana http://www.casaverde-havana-cuba.com/. It was great, but from memory you wanted to stay in one of the hotels. The advantage of this casa was that they recommended other casas in Cienfuegos and Trinidad (family, friends of friends etc.) which made the experience of "door-knocking" a little less daunting.

Just make sure you take cash in case your bank card doesn't work.

Detox your liver before you leave too. The Havana Club black rum costs $11 in those little kiosk shops. That's $154 if you drink a bottle of it a day for the length of your trip. Great deal.

Cienfuegos is an under rated city. Lovely town square there. If you don't stay at a casa, the Union Hotel is just off the square & a very nice place. The one thing I learned from my trips. Cigar hustlers do not take "no" for an answer. When they try to sell you their Montecristos & Cohibas, ask for Saint Lius Rey. They won't have any! ;)

Enjoy mate!

Nothing wrong with staying at a hotel particularly for the first couple of days to get a lay of the land. Cabs are cheap and plentiful so consider staying at the Nacional and day tripping from there.

Going in through LAX-Cancun-Havana is still the quickest route out of Australia.

PM me and I will give you the contact details for Toby Brocklehurst who can arrange your internal travel and bookings + advice. Toby knows Cuba backwards and operates a travel agency in Havana. When you catch up with him in Havana you will be glad you did. i will also put you in contact with Jose who will be able to arrange a tour of on of the plantations.

I can give you a list of the best clubs/bars/paladars in Havana but we can do that February/March. Just contact me.

Cheers!

Rob

Hey Mike,

Others may be best to help you with some of the travel arrangement questions - I'm not in Oz, so I'm not sure what's best for you with those questions.

But regarding your other queries, I've got some suggestions.

For #4, I'd bring some unusual but needed items. Pens, pencils, toothbrushes, etc. - all of those are mentioned all over the place on tourist websites. They're innundated with that stuff, and almost get more than they need with that stuff. Pres posted a bit ago that they're going to be losing some items from their monthly "ration boxes" that they get from the government - shampoos and/or soaps, salt, stuff like that. Maybe that stuff may be better to bring, since that's what's going to be in need right now/shortly. I like to bring stuff like that, but then also bring treats from my respective country (maple syrup jars, Cadbury's Creme Eggs candy, chocolates, etc.). A nice needed item or two is definitely appreciated, but some added "treat" items show that you've gone the extra mile, IMO.

For #5, just make sure that you have nothing attached to the U.S. banking system. Visa's are okay, but not MasterCard. Nothing AMEX or MBNA or CitiBank. And no American Express traveller's cheques - use Thomas Cook ones instead (available at most travel agents in North America, anyways). It's always a good idea to bring a decent amount of cash, and then have some traveller's cheques and a Visa as back-up as needed. For your passports, and this is a commonly missed thing for travel to ANY country, make sure to photocopy the spread of the two main pages inside. That's the page with your picture and all the numbers/info, as well as the facing page with the bar code and your signature. Keep this photocopy separate from the original - keep it locked in a room safe while you have your passport with you in your wallet, and/or if you are travelling with a companion, one keep the originals and the other have the photocopies. This is so that if your passport is lost/stolen/misplaced/etc., you have a backup copy available as needed. It makes it a lot easier for your consulate to get a replacement processed faster.

For #6, the one thing that I learnt before - Cuba means "C..A..L..MMMMM" Things move slowly. Don't expect what we have in our fast-paced, hectic lives. If you're getting something to eat at a decent restaurant, expect to take two or three times more time than you would take at home. Dinner can sometimes be a three-hour experience, not a 15-minute mad dash. Things are calm for a reason - enjoy the beauty of the country around you. Soak it all in. Relax. Breathe. Be calm.

It's a trip well worth taking. Enjoy.

Mike, good on ya.

I stayed here in Havana http://www.casaverde-havana-cuba.com/. It was great, but from memory you wanted to stay in one of the hotels. The advantage of this casa was that they recommended other casas in Cienfuegos and Trinidad (family, friends of friends etc.) which made the experience of "door-knocking" a little less daunting.

Just make sure you take cash in case your bank card doesn't work.

Detox your liver before you leave too. The Havana Club black rum costs $11 in those little kiosk shops. That's $154 if you drink a bottle of it a day for the length of your trip. Great deal.

Heh heh, that is the best deal ever on HC. :P We will be spending most of our nights in casas, just the first couple nights in the hotel.

we took a load of stationary stuff along,which we took to a local school,whos head was very apreciative.

Canuck may be right though,they may be drowning in that stuff by now....

We also took a few pairs of cheap sunglasses,that flew out of our hands.

The kids love Americana,so anything with coke or whatever written on it.

Glad you are having a night or two in the Sevilla,it is so atmospheric,reminds you of days of grandeur.

The restaurant and bar at the top have great views over the city.

Bon journee.