could this be true?

was watching the lehrer news hour today - i think it is a superb current affiars show, perhaps the best going.

but one guest, in discussing the latest mass shooting in the states, said that in arizona, one needs a background check if one is going to put oneself out there to cut toenails on a professional basis. also, if one wants to sell minnows or live bait, again a background check is necessary to get the permission to do so.

BUT, to buy a 9mm glock handgun that can pump out 30 rounds in 7 seconds (i think i have that right), absolutely no background check is needed.

could that possibly be true? i can't imagine that even the staunchest supporter of guns would find that acceptable.

no one on the show contradicted this so i assumed it was true but surely not????

and despite the obvious inference that certain powers that be may take from this post, i'm not trying to re-open the for/against guns debate. i simply want to know if anyone knows if this is true.

Every state in the US has their own (different) gun laws and many municipalities also have their own laws (although some of them have recently been ruled unconstitutional). AZ is one of the more liberal states. I doubt, however, that one could just walk into a gun store there and walk out with a handgun without some waiting period and criminal background check. On the other hand, a shot gun or other long gun would likely be no problem.

Im sure they have their facts off, or they are guessing, because the chances of that are slim to none. It is possible to obtain guns illegally, or through shops with flaky dealing, and not get the background check.

Im sure they have their facts off, or they are guessing, because the chances of that are slim to none. It is possible to obtain guns illegally, or through shops with flaky dealing, and not get the background check.

i forget the name of the bloke, though he is a regular on the show and i understand is highly respected. though definitely on the left of politics.

Ken,

He is incorrect. All 50 states require gun dealers to perform background checks on purchasers of handguns through the federal gun control agency BATF. All purchasers must complete a federal form 4473 and produce acceptable picture identication to confirm their State of residence, address, and identity. The background check is a Federal law and applies nationwide. Some states and municipalities also have their own further restrictions on magazine capacity and waiting periods. Also, a standard 9mm Glock 17 holds seventeen rounds not 30.

Ken,

He is incorrect. All 50 states require gun dealers to perform background checks on purchasers of handguns through the federal gun control agency BATF. All purchasers must complete a federal form 4473 and produce acceptable picture identication to confirm their State of residence, address, and identity. The background check is a Federal law and applies nationwide. Some states and municipalities also have their own further restrictions on magazine capacity and waiting periods. Also, a standard 9mm Glock 17 holds seventeen rounds not 30.

ta re that. it was inconceivable thta it was true but i was curious.

Living in Arizona I'm quite familiar with gun laws here. A background check is required but it is instant. There is no waiting period. As long as you don't have a felony conviction you'll pass. Last year our Govenor repealed the law requiring a permit to carry a concealed weapon. The shooter was legal going to a rally with the gun in a bag. He was able to purchase extended clips that held 30 rounds each instantly from the gun store.

It is legal now in this state to carry concealed weapons into restaurants and bars unless the establishment post signs on the doors.

For the most part he was correct on the show.

Standard magazines for the Glock 17 hold 17 rounds. Extended magazines for the Glock line of pistols have been on the market for some time. They were initially intended primarily for the Glock 18 machine pistol if I am not mistaken.

Ken,

It's exceedingly unfortunate that this background check either did not indicate that the gentleman was mentally disturbed or was ignored by the shop that sold the gun.

A lot of people with psychological maladies would not have anything show up in background checks if their issues have never been documented. Such screening, or even complete bans for that matter, does have limitations. Even in areas with greater bureaucratic controls and checks (for instance, here in Canada we have had restrictions on handguns for well over 70 years) gun violence has not been eliminated. People who really want guns will find a means to obtain them, particularly when the black market is perfectly willing to step in to sell guns to individuals regardless of any consideration to whether or not said individual should own a weapon.

Living in Arizona I'm quite familiar with gun laws here. A background check is required but it is instant. There is no waiting period. As long as you don't have a felony conviction you'll pass. Last year our Govenor repealed the law requiring a permit to carry a concealed weapon. The shooter was legal going to a rally with the gun in a bag. He was able to purchase extended clips that held 30 rounds each instantly from the gun store.

It is legal now in this state to carry concealed weapons into restaurants and bars unless the establishment post signs on the doors.

For the most part he was correct on the show.

i find that terrifying but that may simply be because i am not from a gun culture. the commentators all seemed to be in agreement that this latest mass shooting would not bring about any changes. i find that even more extraordinary. what would it take? i suspect that there is pretty much nothing that will change things so entrenched. but we have gone over that many times.