What would you lay down?

Hi fellow BOTL,

I've got a few boxes hidden away which I plan to open up in 5-10 or more years and I'm interested to know what you have/ would lay down over this time period? I'm thinking regular or special release. Something that is great now but will be very special in years to come.

So far I have:

RA Phoenicios

BHK 56 and 54

Punch Serie D'oro No 1 (UK RE)

Monte Sublimes

R&J Dukes

Cheers, MB

I have some Monte Sublimes EL, some Cuaba Piramides EL, and some Trinidad Ingenios EL - all of these I have some smoking boxes of, but I also have some longer-term aging in a special spot.

CoRo from 2006 and 2008. Just got in some Dip 4's - want to lay 2 or 3 of those boxes down, just leaving one for smoking occasionally over the next 3 years.

Will be getting a few jars to age, as well as a box of Des Dieux and SdC No. 2's.

I buy the cigars that I like to smoke for today and tomorrow. My tastes don't change much. I only have cigars to age because I can't smoke all the cigars I own today! I buy more than I smoke. I don't believe in cigars to lay down. Buy what you like and keep for tomorrow those that you did not smoke today. Cheers. -Piggy

I buy the cigars that I like to smoke for today and tomorrow. My tastes don't change much. I only have cigars to age because I can't smoke all the cigars I own today! I buy more than I smoke. I don't believe in cigars to lay down. Buy what you like and keep for tomorrow those that you did not smoke today. Cheers. -Piggy

+1 to this.

If you find a box you like, buy another box and smoke from the old box while storing the new one. Once the old box is finished, buy another box, and smoke from that instead of touching the one you were storing.

I appreciate what you're saying about smoking what you like for today etc but just recently I have been able to see some vintage boxes at my local Casa, some from 1960's, 70's, 80's and early 90's and boy do they look and smell great! We did a tasting of a box of D4's from 91 and they were awesome!

The way I figure it if you lay down a couple of boxes a year in 5-10 years+ you could have an excellent collection of aged smokes from which to enjoy. Sort of like retirement planning!

I will try to get my hands on a 50 pack of H.U Magnum 50 tubos for laying down 10 years. Also I´ve got some Por Larranaga PC from 08 that will get a good 5 years. Further more I would love to find some Saint Luis Rey PC tubos for laying down. But these have been hard to find... I´m also planning to get a box or two of the Trinidad Robusto T and Coloniales.

edit: Jen Hawkins seems fine to lay down as well... <_<

The way I figure it if you lay down a couple of boxes a year in 5-10 years+ you could have an excellent collection of aged smokes from which to enjoy. Sort of like retirement planning!

The only problem is that there is never a guarantee that a cigar will absolutetly gain anything with long term aging. But if I had to choose, off the top of

my head I'd probably go with Upmann Sir Winston and Magnum 46, and VR Famosos and Clasicos.

Jen Hawkins <_<

Smithy, I'm more inclined to believe Jim Hawkins......

I too buy more smokes than I smoke so I tend to buys smokes that age well.....I've got some RA Belicosos RE (UK), SLR Double Coronas, PL Magnificos, ERDM Tainos, Upmann Monarchs, Cohibas, Partagas, Trinidad fundadores....I just don't smoke enough so I invest the money in smokes that will go the distance. But, I do buy smokes to smoke tomorrow so to say....

Punch D'Oros is an excellent choice. Punch is one of my least favorite brands, yet these cigars are fantastic. I'd also agree on the RA Phoenicios. To those I'd add the German RA Belis. I got 2 boxes- one for near term smoking & one for good aging. POS 07 Boli CEs are another great candidate. And finally, the 08 & 09 PSP MC#4s will improve for a very long time.

Smithy, I'm more inclined to believe Jim Hawkins......

cruel but fair. typical smithers - fronts up two days after she announces her engagement. were you worried she couldn't resist you?

rob said swearing off blokes was your new year's resolution. only 359 days to go.

just joking smithy.

and i'd be putting away good boxes of dieux's, PLPC's, SLR DC's, good cohiba's, winstons etc.