Perfect Pairing!

Greetings FOH's,

Setting out to enjoy my Sunday evening stick I decided to give my liver a breather. I believe I may now be half Scottish through imbibition over the holidays. ;)

To go along with my Juan Lopez Seleccion No. 1 (LTR, NOV '09) I opted for a peppermint and licorice herbal tea.

WOW!!! What a match made in heaven. The flavours from the two worked off each other in ways that can only be described as heavenly: sweetness, hints of mint, pepper and unusual spices danced throughout the entire time. The change in temperature in the tea as it cooled down only added to the experience. :lol:

Have any of you run across a similar experience when "straying" from you favourite/usual cigar drink?

I enjoy cigars with Ice tea or black tea (Russian Caravan being a favourite).

Recently I have been enjoying Cigars with high quality Ginger Beer. Brilliant!

you do know that ginger beer is non alcoholic? don't want to spoil you it for you but...

my best combo recently was the hamlet monster (and yes, that is the technical name) with a chilled bottle of rockford black shiraz. sensational. and a large crowd singing the blues brothers all helped.

I once tried a caribbean drink clled "mabi cacheo". It is an indigenous beverage made from fermented sugar cane and other ingredients.....Good Stuff!!

I stumbled across a beverage cigar combination that was absolutely stupednous this past weekend. I was going to sit down a smoke a CoRo (08) witha friend on Saturday night and reached into the fridge and just happened to pull out a 16oz can of Surly Furious that I received as a Secret Santa gift. I believe it is a regional beer from MN. Anyway...the citrus flavors from the beer really enhanced the CoRo. It was simply amazing. Honestly the best pairing I've ever had with a CoRo.

some great pairings that spring to mind for me are,

Partagas p2 and some champers,brut.

Bolivar petit corona and fentimans(or bundaberg also works)ginger beer.

Bolivar BBF with Fever Tree lemon tonic water...

Any cigar with a Mojito,in the bar at hotel Sevilla,Havana.....

I have also tried a couple of herbal teas with a smoke,and enjoyed mint tea as a partner for any smoke.

I enjoy cigars with Ice tea or black tea (Russian Caravan being a favourite).

Recently I have been enjoying Cigars with high quality Ginger Beer. Brilliant!

As a Southerner in the US, I'm partial to iced sweet tea made with Luzianne... that's real southern sweet tea, strong tea with cane sugar... not that sickeningly-sweet, corn-syrupy, weak-tea bottled stuff. Good sweet tea pairs beautifully with most any cigar from mild to wild. I also appreciate hot teas with a morning or midnight smoke.

Lately, I've been on a Ginger Ale kick, too. Another rare treat we have down south here is a very spicy Golden Ginger Ale called Red Rock. So strong and spicy it seems almost as if it had cayenne pepper in it. This one will overpower milder cigar blends, but is just fantastic with a Boli or Partagas. If you ever run across Red Rock in your travels give it a try. Very limited distribution, but so worth it when you can find it.

....Lately, I've been on a Ginger Ale kick, too....

Me too! I've been having a nice, cold can of ginger ale (Canada Dry, the best stuff!) quite often over the last few months, especially when I try a lighter/medium cigar with a bit more complex but sometimes muted background/edge flavours in place - Cohiba, Trinidad, Diplomaticos, R&J, etc.

An interesting change on the palate for me - generally, it's always HC Anejo 7 Anos & coke, or a nice Cafe Serrano coffee from Cuba.

Me too! I've been having a nice, cold can of ginger ale (Canada Dry, the best stuff!) quite often...

No offense intended to you or your homeland, but ya' gotta' get out more. Canada Dry is fine as a mixer or a light thirst quencher, but let's face it, it's the carbonated equivalent of a Macanudo... no oomph... no complexity. Seek ye out a Blenheim's Extra-Hot, or at least a Jamaican Ginger Beer.

No offense intended to you or your homeland, but ya' gotta' get out more. Canada Dry is fine as a mixer or a light thirst quencher, but let's face it, it's the carbonated equivalent of a Macanudo... no oomph... no complexity. Seek ye out a Blenheim's Extra-Hot, or at least a Jamaican Ginger Beer.

Oh no doubt. There's some great ginger beers out there. But for us, ginger "ale" is more of a pop, yeah. Just like how some people like a San Pellegrino carbonated water, the lighter ginger ale that we have is just right for this.

But yeah, ginger beers are definitely unique and stand out. But a bit different from the soda pop stuff, almost apples-and-oranges there.

Thanks for the brand tip though. Have had the Jamaican, but haven't heard of the Blenheim's stuff before.