Going to Havana in March! Any must-see ideas, etc?

Hello fellow FOHers,

I am one of the few lucky Americans who will be going to Cuba legally (with a license) next March to conduct research for my master's degree. Since many of you have been to Cuba, I wanted to get some ideas about sites to see, cigar-related or otherwise, as well as any general tips for navigating the island. Of course, I have the Partagas factory on my list--hopefully I will bump into Hamlet....

Thanks in advance for all your help.

As I've never has the good fortune of being able to visit Cuba, I can't help you with advice. But I did want to say that you are one lucky bastich. Congrats and enjoy the trip...I'm sure you won't let your research get in the way of you having fun...

furious,

I'm very happy to hear that you'll be visiting Cuba, there's a lot to see and smoke but above all

enjoy your stay and take the time to get acquainted with the cuban people.

OH and just on a side note,,, Hamlet is not at the Partagas factory, He's at the Romeo y Julieta factory. ;)

Have fun, ciao. :D

Must see in Havana? Here is my list in no particular order. My list is all cigar related!

1) Malecon at night. Drink, smoke and party with the locals. Good times.

2) Hotel Nacional - Stop in for a drink or 10 and a few cigars! ;)

3) Hotel Sevilla - Nice lobby to just relax and have a few mojitos with a few cigars. Also, a nice LCDH in the "mall" area of the hotel.

4) Conde de Villenueva - Very historic hotel. One of the best LCDH's in town. See Reynaldo and ask about the custom rolled cigars. They are in the lockers in the back of shop.

5) LCDH 5y16 - IMO, the best cigar lounge in town!

6) Partagas Factory - My morning stop. Have a coffee with a cigar and do a tour of the factory. Also, ask for La China and her customs. Good cigars.

7) NH Park Central - If you can get past the security (a good tip will do!), go to the rooftop lounge/pool area to rest your feet, have a drink and smoke a cigar! Great view!

8) RyJ Factory - Factory is closed, but hear rumors it is re-opening, since renos are complete. Nice LCDH to relax in. See Hamlet for customs!

The list goes on and on but this is a good start. I'm sure others will add to it.

Gentlemen: Thank you for the advice.

Tarks: Special thanks for the recommendations. I plan on crossing at least a few off of your list!

Laficion: That is probably what I am looking forward to the most--meeting the Cuban people. As I will be staying in a casa particular in Vedado, I hope to get to know at least a few of them.

Rogers72: I will email Rob for some guidance as he is THE MAN when it comes to insider info. on Havana.

Some other areas of interest:

Museo de la Revolucion

Plaza de la Revolucion

Capitolio (Old Govt Building similar to the White House, but a little taller) Partagas Factory is directly behind it.

El Malecon or Sea walk which connects old Havana and stretches out Mariel (past Vedado)

La Floridita (Hemingway Bar)

And my favourite, La Bodeguita del Medio

In Old Havana, a good social night club is the Don Cangrejo Morro by El Morro (La Fortaleza)

I can go on and on..........

You will have a good time. I go every year and I call Cuba my home away from Pennsylvania...lol