CUBA! Suggestions for hotels in Varadero and Havana? (My Trip To Cuba thread)

I brought points up about this in a post a few months back, and the people who replied gave some GREAT tips and advice/suggestions on what to do/bring when going to Cuba. I'll have to search for that thread and start compiling it all into a text file.. (edit: the other thread is here: http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/inde...howtopic=103475 )

I'll be going with my girlfriend down to Cuba (Toronto -> Cuba, nice 3.5hr flight) in April. We'll be going to Varadero for a wedding, so if we go for a week, I'd like to do days 1-3 in Varadero, and nights 4-7 in Havana. Obviously, I'd like very cigar friendly hotels. Preferably one with a state-run stogie shop on the premises or nearby. Preferably one with internet access simply so I can dump my photos onto my web server at the end of each day, so I don't have to buy tons of SD cards to store them on.

For Varadero, I'm sure the gf would like to play the role of the stupid tourist: something right on the beach. I've been told repeatedly Varadero is a faceless tourist town that could exist in any tropical tourist trap town, so I'm not to concerned about the hotel. So long as it's cheap and on the beach, and cigar friendly. That way I can smoke my cigars, soak up a bit of sun, then get the hell out of Varadero on day 4.

Havana is more important (to me at least :innocent: ) If anyone knows of a good hotel that's close to some real cultural "old town" parts of Havana, that are cigar friendly, preferably with net access.. I'm open to suggestions. I was initially going to browse the different hotels in Varadero and Havana online, but WOW... there's SO MANY of them. And all of them look good making it impossible to cull down to a selection. Something with inclusive breakfast would be nice, but for lunch/dinner I'm hoping to scour the city for some classic/authentic Cuba restaurants.

If anyone's made the trip and has photos of their stay online, that would be great!!

I think in many of these threads,I always recommend the Hotel Sevilla.

Located in the heart of Havana,near Partagas factory,el Capitolio,and near the old town,this is an excellent hotel.

It has it's own LCDH on the premises,where I got most of mine from,both smoking there and to bring home.Good quality,no rip offs.

It also has a pool,which isn't that common,and a great restaurant up top.Good bars both up and downstairs,with good mojitos,as you'd expect.

Also some great history,as it is where Graeme Greene wrote our man in havana.

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay there,because it wasnt far to things like the musee de beaux art,and it felt like you were right in Havana.

I'll never forget watching the sunset over el Capitolio from the restaurant.

Kevin.

Havana is more important (to me at least :thumbsup: ) If anyone knows of a good hotel that's close to some real cultural "old town" parts of Havana, that are cigar friendly, preferably with net access.. I'm open to suggestions. I was initially going to browse the different hotels in Varadero and Havana online, but WOW... there's SO MANY of them. And all of them look good making it impossible to cull down to a selection. Something with inclusive breakfast would be nice, but for lunch/dinner I'm hoping to scour the city for some classic/authentic Cuba restaurants.

If anyone's made the trip and has photos of their stay online, that would be great!!

I stayed at the Parque Central last February, good wifi. Not terribly cheap at 6 CUC/hour as far as I remember but much better than the desktops in the business centre.

There's a very nice rooftop pool, decent cigar shop with a smoking lounge, although you can smoke just about anywhere in the hotel. I think there are about 3 non-smoking tables in the lobby, out of about 20.

Great breakfast, one of the few if not the only steak restaurant in Havana.

It's very close (2 min walk ) to Obispo and Obrapia Streets which bring right into Habana Vieja (Hostal Conde de Villanueva etc) in 10 minutes. The Bacardi building, Floridita, Bar Montserrate, Museo Del Tabaco y Ron and the Paratagas factory are all with a 5 minute walk. It's also on the Prado which is nice for a stroll.

I'd absolutely recommend it for anyone who wants a nice hotel right beside the old town.

A friend stayed at the Saratoga last year and raved about it, very close to the Sevilla/PArque Central but quite a bit more expensive.

Have a great trip.

Love the Parque Central for it's location & ambiance. Not cheap, but IMHO worth it. Sevilla is also very atmospheric. Even if you don't stay there it's worth a walk through.

I brought points up about this in a post a few months back, and the people who replied gave some GREAT tips and advice/suggestions on what to do/bring when going to Cuba. I'll have to search for that thread and start compiling it all into a text file.. (edit: the other thread is here: http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/inde...howtopic=103475 )

I'll be going with my girlfriend down to Cuba (Toronto -> Cuba, nice 3.5hr flight) in April. We'll be going to Varadero for a wedding, so if we go for a week, I'd like to do days 1-3 in Varadero, and nights 4-7 in Havana. Obviously, I'd like very cigar friendly hotels. Preferably one with a state-run stogie shop on the premises or nearby. Preferably one with internet access simply so I can dump my photos onto my web server at the end of each day, so I don't have to buy tons of SD cards to store them on.

For Varadero, I'm sure the gf would like to play the role of the stupid tourist: something right on the beach. I've been told repeatedly Varadero is a faceless tourist town that could exist in any tropical tourist trap town, so I'm not to concerned about the hotel. So long as it's cheap and on the beach, and cigar friendly. That way I can smoke my cigars, soak up a bit of sun, then get the hell out of Varadero on day 4.

Havana is more important (to me at least :thumbsup: ) If anyone knows of a good hotel that's close to some real cultural "old town" parts of Havana, that are cigar friendly, preferably with net access.. I'm open to suggestions. I was initially going to browse the different hotels in Varadero and Havana online, but WOW... there's SO MANY of them. And all of them look good making it impossible to cull down to a selection. Something with inclusive breakfast would be nice, but for lunch/dinner I'm hoping to scour the city for some classic/authentic Cuba restaurants.

Darksky,

You ever think about a Casa Particular in Havana? Those are houses that rent out rooms with Cuban families and much cheaper than a hotel. The rates I think now in Havana are like 25-30.00 CUC a night, but you stay in Cuban neighborhoods. There are many in Vedado and Habana Vieja. When in Cuba I usually stay in Casa's it such a better experience. Let me know if you need recomendations.

HM

Darksky,

You ever think about a Casa Particular in Havana? Those are houses that rent out rooms with Cuban families and much cheaper than a hotel. The rates I think now in Havana are like 25-30.00 CUC a night, but you stay in Cuban neighborhoods. There are many in Vedado and Habana Vieja. When in Cuba I usually stay in Casa's it such a better experience. Let me know if you need recomendations.

HM

I've heard of those. I'd like some recommendations if you don't mind? I'm planning on going next Spring or Winter. Sorry Darksky, didn't mean to hijack your thread. :thumbsup:

I've heard of those. I'd like some recommendations if you don't mind? I'm planning on going next Spring or Winter. Sorry Darksky, didn't mean to hijack your thread. :thumbsup:

Cool brother Im always here to help fellow cigar smokers around the world. When you are ready to leave Ill give you the contact of Casa Luisa off Calle Oreilly in Old Habana. Right where you want to be or if you want a spot a litle quiter, I have a house I stay at by Jose Marti's house and Train station on Calle Curazao. All close by Partagas and Hostal Villanueva cigar havens.

Great recommendations above! There are lots of other more moderately priced hotels in Havana, but Parque Central, Sevilla and the Hotel Nacional are treasures. There is a casa particular right in front of the Hotel Nacional in the white stone building with stone varandas for about $35/night

In Varadero there are some nice places that are smaller than the big resorts, and closer to the casa de tabacos / casa de ron (at the end of the strip at 63rd St - any cabbie will know it or you can ride the horse buggy down the main drag). I like the Herradura and a place whose name I can't recall that looked like a small Spanish colonial yard, or for the fun of being at a place where the Ruskies hang out, check out the Hotel Internacional (amazing white beach, moderate accommodation and food).

I wish I were on my way too!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the fantastic replies with great suggestions!

I never even thought about internet access. I'll be bringing my laptop (not for business, or even email/web or anything - simply as a dumping spot for all the photos/videos I'll be taking while there as I'm an avid photographer, so instead of buying 10 16GB SD cards I'll just bring my external 2TB HDD and dump everything on to that at the end of each day).

But WiFi would be great as I could just FTP everything back to my server and not have to worry about it being lost due to any number of nasty things that could happen to my external HDD.

Sevilla looks a little more upscale than I was hoping for ( http://www.hotelsevilla-cuba.com/ ) - not price wise, but in terms of elegance. But with an official LCDH on location, and that amazing view... it might be hard to pass up.