Whats with Habanos SA?

Just had the opportunity to peruse two different Casa Del Habanos stores in Buenos Aires, The shelves are practically empty! Sure they had a smattering of stuff but the places both looked like they were about to close down. One of the gentleman working there commented that it's been difficult getting product.

The prices were a little on the high side as well, Guess that's supply and demand at work.

Does this have anything to do with that scandal a while back?

Just had the opportunity to peruse two different Casa Del Habanos stores in Buenos Aires, The shelves are practically empty! Sure they had a smattering of stuff but the places both looked like they were about to close down. One of the gentleman working there commented that it's been difficult getting product.

The prices were a little on the high side as well, Guess that's supply and demand at work.

Does this have anything to do with that scandal a while back?

Could be a lot of things including logistical holdups. There has been a major shakeup at HSA warehousing since the scandal and product out has been slow the last few months. They have plenty of product, just getting it out has not been as smooth as ususal. It should get better in the new year. They all need to catch their breah, refocus and work their way through new personnel and systems.

Can someone provide a link to the scandal if it was discussed here ?

Just curious.

Thanks

Here's some links to some various threads on the matter. You get a little bit more info in each thread....

Manuel Garcia in Jail

Habanos s.a. Update: End of week two.

Some general Habanos News

Hope this helps. Not sure if there've been other updates besides this stuff. Pres can maybe fill in if/where applicable.

My apologies for taking so long but thanks rob for the explanation. I have to say I felt bad for the gentleman who was running the one place.

He was a very nice British man I think, and he took me around the small room and explained each and every cigar and would mention the price almost as if he was sorry that they were so much and so few.

The other place also had a small room of cigars and they were more of a family oriented place. As soon as they buzzed me through the front door an older woman I'm guessing the mother or grandmother was closely tailing me and asked (in spanish) if I needed help.

I walked into the Humidor/room and was suprised to see so little stock. I ended up going to my usual place and they had plenty of interesting smokes at a reasonable price. I picked up some RASS and VR Famosas, I'm a happy guy! :rotfl:

Hopefully HSA could get their act together soon because I cant see these shops suriving much longer ;)