You never can tell

Taking off from Ken's you-never-can-tell story in the FOH Network thread.

I was wondering if there are other you-never-can-tell stories out there?

Here's mine:

Last summer I was sitting at my favorite sidewalk café at a table that really was on the sidewalk. A guy walking along stopped right in front of my table. He looked like he'd been sleeping rough for quite a while. He looked at me and started speaking French (naturally). In my best French I tried to explained that I did not speak French. He stared at me with an I'm-a-little-bit-crazy look on his face and I was thinking, Uh-oh, here it comes, he's going to start on some incoherent rant or ask for money or something.

After a pause, he said, “"Do you speak English?"

"Yes."”

"I was just asking how your cigar is."”

"Oh," I said, now feeling a little sheepish, "It's pretty good."”

"Good."” And with that he turned on continued on.

You never can tell.

Great thread SB.

About 13 or so years ago, I was invited to a good friend's daughter's wedding. I was just starting to get into cigars and back then the US was going through its "rebirth" of interest in cigars. Remember, this was the time before all the anti-smoking laws currently in place and plenty of people were smoking cigarettes at the indoor reception. Well, I decided the time was right to light up my cigar. I proceeded to cut and light my La Flor Dominicana (as accessability to CC's was difficult for me at the time) and puff away. Well, there were certain "older" ladies at my table that didn't seem to mind the cigarettes being smoked, but my cigar wasn't welcome. After a few nasty looks, one of them decides to go to my friend, the father of the bride, and complain. I see him look at me, look at her and then they proceed to head my direction. He walks up to me with the insulted lady standing next to him, and says "there's been some mistake, you shouldn't be seated here all the way in the back, please come up to one of the head tables with the family".

You never can tell.

La Flor Dominicana $8

Wedding Gift $100

Look on the old lady's face... priceless

Great thread SB.

About 13 or so years ago, I was invited to a good friend's daughter's wedding. I was just starting to get into cigars and back then the US was going through its "rebirth" of interest in cigars. Remember, this was the time before all the anti-smoking laws currently in place and plenty of people were smoking cigarettes at the indoor reception. Well, I decided the time was right to light up my cigar. I proceeded to cut and light my La Flor Dominicana (as accessability to CC's was difficult for me at the time) and puff away. Well, there were certain "older" ladies at my table that didn't seem to mind the cigarettes being smoked, but my cigar wasn't welcome. After a few nasty looks, one of them decides to go to my friend, the father of the bride, and complain. I see him look at me, look at her and then they proceed to head my direction. He walks up to me with the insulted lady standing next to him, and says "there's been some mistake, you shouldn't be seated here all the way in the back, please come up to one of the head tables with the family".

You never can tell.

La Flor Dominicana $8

Wedding Gift $100

Look on the old lady's face... priceless

:);):thumbsup: Good one, Habanos2000! Nuthin' like a turnin' of the tables!!!

Here are some ideas for those of you who are pressured in confrontation and adversely affected by "mob" mentality. Take a few extra cigars with you to share. I am often asked if I will "sell" a cigar at my favorite cantina. I feel uncomfortable doing so, so I typically take a couple of extra PC's with me and will often give them if asked. The grantee usually buys Lady Piggy a cocktail to reciprocate. Smokists (my term for the jingoist anti-smoker) tend to not approach several people at several tables smoking cigars. They themselves don't like the odds and just move away.

If that does not work, the term, "**** off," often does! -Piggy

Here are some ideas for those of you who are pressured in confrontation and adversely affected by "mob" mentality. Take a few extra cigars with you to share. I am often asked if I will "sell" a cigar at my favorite cantina. I feel uncomfortable doing so, so I typically take a couple of extra PC's with me and will often give them if asked. The grantee usually buys Lady Piggy a cocktail to reciprocate. Smokists (my term for the jingoist anti-smoker) tend to not approach several people at several tables smoking cigars. They themselves don't like the odds and just move away.

If that does not work, the term, "**** off," often does! -Piggy

I like the plan. Subtle...intelligent. :buddies: